Photos - mollie and me | Squat the Planet

Photos mollie and me

D

deleted17310

I'd like to take a second to show you how I roll. this is the u.s. army mollie 2 pack that came after the Alice series. It's big, bulky, but a real beast. durable, water resistant, quick drying and it carries a ton of stuff. Everyone has the is own concept of what they can't live without while traveling, well I'm the needy type, I have a tent for rough weather, sleeping bag with bivy, 3 sets of clothes, stern stove and cook set, hygiene and medical supplies, fishing gear, two books, journal, scanner, food, and all the little other things like chargers and such. It all fits in here when packed properly and I carry it with ease, 32 miles one day if my phone can be trusted. What this pack lacks in pockets it makes up for with the nylon webbing you see along the outside turning it into a modular packing system. There are dozens of add on things that are easily secured to the webbing that can be aquired at army surplus stores. In my case I use 1 sustainment pouch for things that I don't want to open the whole pack for like my camera or snacks, I also have a 2.5 quart camel back, and secured to the belt is a canteen pouch with additional small pockets I use for my harmonica and lighter. You can also hang stuff of the webbing with grimlocks or caribeanors. Down side, it's a bitch to assemble the pack and belt to the external frame, but the army has manuals for everything right on down to wiping Fron to back so you'll figure it out. The thing I like most is its designed
tmp_3881-orca-image-1493505643553.jpg_1493505643977-1170865010.jpeg
tmp_3881-20170510_093104878821420.jpg
to be worn with body armor, I don't wear body armor so the space where the armor is intended to be is open, the weight is carried by your shoulders and hips leaving your back breathable, but when you put a jacket on it fits it that area comfortably. retail for mine was 125$ but i have seen them as low as 80 on ebay. So that's my pack. I welcome and feedback or suggestions and hope I have given you some ideas for the next time you re-quip yourselves
tmp_3881-20170509_204850-1075151957.jpg

AAAutin

Reaction score
Currently rolling with a version of the same pack; but I ditched the frame after a week (too bulky to fit in my tarp shelter at night) and stuffed the sleep system sack into the main ruck to make it a bit more compact.

Tude

Sometimes traveler is traveling.
Reaction score
Very cool info and thanks for sharing. Do you have an estimated weight for what you carry when it's packed out? Just curious as I know what I can cary (lb wise) and how far before I get pissy and hate it. ;)

T

tennesseejed

Very cool info and thanks for sharing. Do you have an estimated weight for what you carry when it's packed out? Just curious as I know what I can cary (lb wise) and how far before I get pissy and hate it. ;)

I would be interested to know the weight as well.

D

deleted17310

I would guess it at 40 before food and water, witch in my opinion is heavy but the pack distributes it well. With the camelback filled on a day that I have been grocery shopping I would guess approachin 60 but I haven't weighed it

Tude

Sometimes traveler is traveling.
Reaction score
ahh cool. and yeah a nice weight distribution is good. And love my camelbak. ha - I work in an office and people have their purses and shoulder bags of stuff. Me? I live out of my expandable camelbak, and fill up the bladder on long hikes.

Reactions: VikingAdventurer

benton

Reaction score
I'm rocking one as well.

You can get these for around $60 used on Amazon. I got the ruck (no sustainment pouches), MSS goretex bivvy and black MSS mummy bag for $115 shipped from a surplus store via Amazon.

Make sure to get the Gen IV frame

I added on the waist pack and 4 flash bang grenade pouches on the hip belt.

I keep my tarp and mosquito netting in the waist pack. It can attach to the top of the pack.

I have the sleep system without the compression sack. Lately I have been rolling it up and using the long straps to hold it.in place on top. The bivvy sack is getting dirty and the system is.bulky so I plan to get a compression sack.

Also the huge lower compartment can be sectioned off and folded up into itself. This exposes the lower part of the frame and.moves the weight up high where you want it.

I keep the two sustainment pouches inside the pack. They hold my clothes and odds and ends.

This is my third pack and by far the best for me.

Last edited:
Reactions: AAAutin
D

deleted17310

I use the bottom section for clothes and tent so the pack forms well at the base. My sleep system is a marmot mummy bag 100$ at rei and a single pole bivy by outdoor research. Expensive but light and small when compressed. I have those actually in my pack with is nice. I like the mosquito netting idea ill have to try it out

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Help us pay the bills!

Total amount
$10.00
Goal
$100.00

Latest Library Uploads