Mold nearly killed me

face

Reaction score
hey y'all,

Over the past 3 years, I've been feeling worse and worse. The past year I've been disabled, unable to do much of anything. Alternating intense anxiety/panic, depression, fatigue, brain fog, confusion.. It has taken me to hell and back, and has truly threatened my life. It is a complicated situation, but a sensitivity to mold is a big part of it. I only feel like myself when I'm somewhere dry, yet the only places I know and love are moldy as hell. NC, VT, VA..

I quit school and packed up my van and drove all my stuff across the country. I put my stuff in storage in Tucson, and now I'm wondering around trying to find a place that could be home. I am regaining my health, but feeling like quite an outsider so far in my travels. I'm having trouble finding people that I feel I could get along with. Tucson seemed alright but I kept getting caught up in sketchy bullshit there so I headed to San Diego. This place is so clean and wealthy that it's depressing, and other than the dude behind the counter at this coffee shop, I haven't seen any punk sorts.

I'm feeling a little stumped. I don't want to go too far north until it warms up, but I don't know where to spend my winter. I figure I'll go up to LA. Maybe I'll visit a friend in Las Vegas. I hear interesting things about slab city, but I feel a little hesitant to just show up alone uninvited.

Can y'all share some ideas of dry places that would be worth visiting, either now or later on when it warms up a bit? Does anyone want to go on a freight-train adventure around the SW? Anybody want some help and good company on their sailboat?

I found dirt-cheap tickets to Cancun from Phoenix.. something like $228 round trip. That could be fun but really, I'm just tired of traveling alone, trying to make friends with people that are nothing like me.

japanarchist

Reaction score
Have you been to nola before? It shouldn't been too cold there and there's tons of punks. Oakland might be good too, I know some people who enjoyed living there. I can't say that I hear anything good about AZ though.

Tude

Sometimes traveler is traveling.
Reaction score
Ha - I had to re read this a couple times - thought for sure I'd be reading something on black mold lol. Hey - stay tuned to the Road Dog subforum where people are looking to hook up with like minded travelers to where ever. The East here has had a minor Winter deflection (winter? ha) but it will catch up soon I'm soon. :)

face

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies. I love New Orleans, Richmond VA, and other gritty humid towns like that but I currently can't handle any amount of mold, mildew, mustiness, etc. Maybe if I can stay away from it for a while I'll get better.

Mankini

I'm a d-bag and got banned.
Banned
Reaction score
Watch Erin brockovich. You can sue places which have toxic mold if you get sick as a result. Otherwise, yeah, sedona or taos, someplace like that...NB: the OTC product "airborne" helps a lot.

Sarong

Reaction score
I would suggest southern areas with warmer and dryer climates myself and dont come washington state. Ive been having the same problem with mold here and took me a long time to figure it out. Every place I lived had it and I was sick all the time. I lived in New Mexico (9 months) and Missouri (2 years) and was nvr sick. I came back to washington and been here 7 months and wouldnt u know? Im sick or just dont feel 100% and joints and muscles ache badly. I am sooooooo ready to move on.....just looking for the right oppurtunity to bounce that doesnt "step on toes" (my daughters) LOL I also am looking to make some new friends. Good luck in ure journies!! :)

D

Deleted member 20683

NM NM NM i love it. an underrated gem. depends on what you're into...SF is a pretty good place to busk, easy walk or bike from camping spots. abq is more wild, not as sketchy as tucson though. the bosque is a huge forest along the river near downtown, where there's some cool punk are galleries and stuff.

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads