Modifying Sleeping Bags? | Squat the Planet

Modifying Sleeping Bags?

ianfernite

Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Has anyone tried this before?
I have a 0 degree bag that is a bit too big and heavy to be carrying around constantly, and I doubt I'll be voluntarily going to any place where it gets that cold.

I want to cut and sew it a bit to make it smaller and lighter. I know that will greatly compromise its warmth.

I haven't been able to find anything online about resizing a sleeping bag; I guess it's just not often done. I'm broke, so buying a small one is out of the question. So, has anyone resized theirs? Are there any tricks or techniques to it?

Reactions: Mankini

wartomods

Reaction score
if you have access to a sewing machince you could cut it to your like on the bottom, then make a fold on the bottom and sew along it various times, but i dont really know if it worths the effort, cause it only makes difference is your sleep bag is really too big to you

stove

Reaction score
I've done a bit of modifying, as well as making my own quilts (think sleeping bag w/out zipper, easier to clean/get in out of quickly). A good sewing machine and knowledge of how to use it are EXTREMELY helpful, but not actually required. if you simply want to lighten it, reduce bulk, and reduce the temperature rating, you don't want to remove outside material, you want to remove the internal filling (Loft). If you know what the lofting is made out of, you can look online and actually see how much would be required (approx) for a given temperature rating.

If you can give a bit more info on the bag, I can probably walk you through modifying it. Look online at different baffle configurations, and determine what yours is (continuous baffles are the easiest to 'drain'). After that, it's a matter of making a small cut in each baffle, removing some loft, making sure the rest of the loft is evenly distributed, and closing the hole you've made.

• Useful
Reactions: MJhitcher

veggieguy12

The Captain
Reaction score
Why not just offer to trade?
For examlpe, I might trade my 15-degree bag for your zero-degree (we're talking Centigrade/Celsius, right?). Mine is long (probably 6'6") and I would not wanna trade for something too small to fit me.
Mine is also only about 2lbs, or just over - quite lightweight, and I wouldn't want to get a 4-pounder in a trade. PM me if you're interested, and I might even be able to do an in-person swap.
What's your brand & model, so we could know some specs?
If you end up stitching it closed anywhere, those seams will reduce the temp-rating, as they pinch the insulation. Perhaps a better move would be to cut a small line (maybe a straight 2") and then remove some filling (is it down or synthetic?), then put on an adhesive patch of ripstop nylon, the kind sold as tent-repair.

Geoff

Reaction score
the zipper on my sleeping bag just recently got stuck, any advice on how to fix it??

ianfernite

Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
I don't know much about it; there is no brand on it anywhere. The insulation is hollow fiber (4 pounds of it, so my bag is even heavier than that).

From the looks of it, I don't think it will be possible to remove any of the insulation evenly. I'll probably just go without a sleeping bag and bring a blanket or something.

I would offer to trade, but I don't think anyone would want a bag that big, in-person trades would be difficult, and I don't have enough money to ship anything anywhere.

I guess it's good that I'm broke now; I can't spend anymore money on dumb shit that I won't use.
Fuck.

stove

Reaction score
wow if it's got 4 POUNDS of insulation, it's 0 degrees F, synthetic insulation, and most def bulky as hell. If you don't mind the weight/bulk, unzip it completely and sleep in it open-taco style. Otherwise, you'll be doing a LOT of modifying to make it cooler, almost not worth it. Just my thoughts. Oh, and veggie is correct about stitching reducing the rating, depending on how it is stitched.

ianfernite

Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Yeah, it's the bulk that's the problem. I'm either going to carry a blanket and use that until it starts to get cold, or suck it up and carry the damn 5 pound bag all over the place.

Getting a better compression bag may help; I've just got one of those dinky sacks.

Rise 609

Reaction score
I've got a 15 degree Marrmot down sleeping bag, that i would be will to trade someone for a nice 30 degree synthetic sleeping bag. The cost of the same sleeping bag I have new is $180 so im not looking to trade for your walmart special.

Bendixontherails

Reaction score
Not even for the Hannah Montana Limited Edition Sleepover Special? I still have the cosmetic kit that came with it... you know you want it....

• Haha
Reactions: Mankini

Play.It.Fast

Reaction score
I don't understand why sleeping bags don't come in darker variations, such as brown, black, forest green, but are still sinthetic and good for Urban Camping, Trains Ect.. I can see why they're handy in case of a emergency such as being stuck in the woods, and "need to make yourself big". Otherthan that, I rather not be seen.

Never Buy a 20 degree High Peak sleeping bag, I thought it was decent, better than a Coleman, but no. The zipper still sucks and broke within a week, and had to sew it up, and it came in Bright orange as well, so had to spend the extra money on a can of black spray paint.

finn

Playground Monitor
Reaction score
Not even for the Hannah Montana Limited Edition Sleepover Special? I still have the cosmetic kit that came with it... you know you want it....

Hahaha, poor ol' Compass. I suppose another option is turning the back into a puffy vest or similar piece of clothing.

ianfernite

Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
My bag is forest green, which is nice. I guess that sort of makes up for it being ridiculously fucking huge. I almost bought a compression sack, but space really isn't the issue, so that would have been a bit of a waste.

pestilentcunt

Reaction score
i have one of those bags i think is it a mummy bag?the cheapest bag is at WALMART kids one is like 10 bucks perfect size usually depends on how tall you are its only good for summer and spring though,but a couple space blankets and you should be good.

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Help us pay the bills!

Total amount
$10.00
Goal
$100.00

Latest Library Uploads