Minimalist Travel

Genjix

Reaction score
Hey,

A lot of people always ask how I travel so lightweight. Thought I'd share here and get tips & comments. Taking extra baggage slows you down so less is more, mobility rules.

I spend very little going between major cities but rarely sleep outdoors- maybe the odd bench when I get stuck in a place. Mostly I sleep on coaches or people's houses.

You can use CouchSurfing to find hosts nearly everywhere. http://www.couchsurfing.org/people/genjix < that's me. Before I leave to a new city I post in the city forum and spam loads of people asking for hosting. After I get a few positives I stay at each persons house for maybe 3 nights. 3 people x 3 nights = 10 days. If you get along well with your host you can even stay longer.

You never really have to sleep outdoors. If I have to then I get an overnight coach to a random city and wake up somewhere new. Travel is cheap outside of Western Europe.

Clothing worn:

1 pair of Jeans from Tesco costing £3. Cheap, durable. Better to have these than those pyjamas I see hippies always wearing that get torn/dirty easily. Mud is just a surface stain on Jeans, but thin trousers get dirty and need to be washed. You can wear jeans for many months and have no issues.

1 pair of Iranian standard issue army boots for £4. Boots are sturdy and you can run through dirt and walk long distances. Also your feet won't get wet.

1 hoody- If I'm going to be in a cold region then I take a jumper type hoody, otherwise I take a thin long sleeve one. The hood is essential cos if you sleep in places it will cover your eyes so you can sleep. Also doubles as a hat to keep you warm! Can also cover your face in danger areas if you don't want people to know your ethnicity.

1 long coat, kinda like this:
BJKRU.jpg

Will keep you warm. I sewed a button to the top of my lapels so it comes up to my neck. They're expensive but well worth it. You don't know how warm it keeps you when sleeping outside since it covers your legs and entire body in 1 piece.
When it's too hot to wear I either carry it in my arms or squeeze it into my backpack.

1 school backpack. It has to be small since I'm carrying it everywhere (unless I leave it at my host). Only the essentials are taken like toothbrush, nail cutters, boxers+socks and 1 pair of nice clothes for special occasions (like a house party). Travelling around you will accumulate baggage and so want to have the ABSOLUTE minimum when starting out. My hosts usually have shampoo and toothpaste- it's bad to carry it anyway since if it bursts = disaster!

I wash my clothes in sinks or nice kind hosts occasionally offer you their washing machine.

Small light backpack is essential. Maintaining free space is *very* important. I might go to a new city, find a shop selling tinned ready made meals and be off on a long bus journey of a few days. In which case I buy several tins of the food, put it in my bag and set off ;)

Ravie

Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
Hmmm sounds like you have a plan. I prefer to never sleep at peoples homes though. It's awkward sometimes and I allways worry about being a female alone in some guys house. So I carry a heavy bag and snuggle up under a bridge with my friends. Ive checked out coutchsurfing.com before and it allways seemed like a hassle to plan out anything on there. maybe thats just me though. good thread.

Ravie

Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
oh haha I just noticed that your from euope...people seem to be more welcoming over there ive heard.

Poking Victim

Reaction score
This isn't a revelation. Everyone knows they can be a streamliner.
I don't like staying at people's homes (especially strangers) because it puts me at the mercy of their schedule.

narstypants

Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
not to mention when you stay at peoples houses there is an unwritten rule that im sure got written down somewhere, that you're supposed to "help out" around their house...ex; by making meals and doing dishes.......I'd just rather not.
I sleep outside and I still pack lightly...I like to think I do anyways. I carry a small tarp but hardly ever use it, only when its raining, and why even bother on a train?
I carry my mandolin, a pair of jeans, shorts, a t-shirt, tank top, clean undies, dog spray, my utility knife, sleeping bag, a very small frying pan, my tarp, a rope, a book, some snacks and unfortunatly... a cell phone.

L.C.

I'm a d-bag and got banned.
Banned
Reaction score
all summer i had a runaway pack,knife, dog bowl, ultra-light sleeping bag,dog food,1gallon water jug,and the shirt on my back.

wartomods

Reaction score
nice man, but i would never be able to pull myself to couchsurf all the time, i just need the liberty of sleeping where i want.

readyg

Reaction score
not to mention when you stay at peoples houses there is an unwritten rule that im sure got written down somewhere, that you're supposed to "help out" around their house...ex; by making meals and doing dishes.......I'd just rather not.

Oh no! ANYTHING but dishes and helping someone else out!

GutterGrayse

Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
I like helping people out with their homes when I'm on the road. Especially because I'm not maintaining a home myself. It's the least I can do to help with dishes and yardwork.

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads