Milsurplus Jungle Boots | Squat the Planet

Milsurplus Jungle Boots

rugburn

Reaction score
They are without a doubt the worst boots that money can buy they are not not meant to be worn on hard surfaces they are for the lush soft jungle floor they are xtreemely flimsy and have no padding DO NOT BUY THEM!!!

NBDDreamer

On the move
Reaction score
Well shit, that about answers it.

How about those IDF scout boots? They're kind of like heavy duty converse. Maybe those and an insole?

I'm using lined leather hiking boots right now. My dogs are going to be miserable in a few months.

D

Deleted member 20

I actually wore altamas in the Marines & have hopped a bit with them. I wouldnt pay $100 bucks for them, i know that for certain. I bought a pair of recent issue usmc rat hot weather boots brand new for $20. Much heavier then jungles & really warm; not exactly a good combo for hot climates.I guess a few million were canceled by the govt because they were falling apart on the battle field.

Its a diff boot all together made of diff materials. Those jungles are quick drying, particuarly good for getting soaked in puddles, creeks etc. They are lightwieght. I wouldnt wear them in the winter, snow etc.

I know the vietbam era boots had a steel plate in the sole to prevent punji stake injuries & werent exactly comfortable.

If you can buy a newish pair for between $20-$25, they wouldnt be bad. But $100 is too much for those boots.

I still think its a step up from sneakers. Walking on ties & ballast sux & you need some ankle support.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 20

I have chipewa insulated for winter that are over 10 years old. I have wore real made in the UK doc marten boots in the warmer months & cursed myself everytime!

D

Deleted member 20

Well thats the plan but as of yet they arent even broke in enough not to hurt my feet for short walks to the store. They are Untested on trains but having worn them both,on inspection & short time in light use they are a much better & more comfortable boot. That comparison was strictly for price. I wouldnt buy either for $100 & if i had to choose in the $20-$25 range for new boots then the altamas wouldnt be chosen.

If i was doing amphibious or jungle ops again then maybe they would be worn.

Joni

Reaction score
carolina 'mil spec' 'drill sergeant' boots with the leather toe cap also called jump boots for para troopers. they run $100-200 but resolable and reheelable. can be ordered with goodyear or vibram sole. i had a pair for several years. skateboarded the downhills in sanfran with them from upper height to market st many times. good ankle support and lace them insane tight if you want. all leather and has an optional zipper side. if polished and well cared for they stay waterproof. wool socks and dr. scholls insoles recommended.
mine were 'Leather Military Combat Jump Corcoran' - http://galleryplus.ebayimg.com/ws/web/160752434765_1_0_1/1000x1000.jpg
http://www.patriotsurplus.com/corcoran-boots.html
similar linesman style - http://www.carolinashoe.com/Product?stockNo=905
redwing also makes awesome steel yard boots - http://www.redwingshoes.com/
http://www.redwingshoes.com/red-wing-shoe/4492-red-wing-shoes/4492-red-wing-mens-8-inch-boot-brown

my first pair of boots were old school all leather jungle boots. they didn't last but a season or two til i could get the cash up for real boots. word on the street at the time is that their is many manufacturers of that design some good some bad but all look the same.

hope this helps....
-joni

Last edited:
  • Useful
Reactions: Doc Road
D

Deleted member 20

I had a pair of loggers that were similar to thos carolina boots or redwing boots. I doubt i would want a steel shank & i never got used to the higher heel & arch feeling, common with those boots. I normally where flat style converse or docs with lil arch if any. Did you get the jump boots used & broke in? I do believe in getting what you pay for with boots. Usually a well made boot costing almost $200 will be a friendly pair of footwear for a long time. Expensive doesnt always equal quality tho.

Joni

Reaction score
I had a pair of loggers that were similar to thos carolina boots or redwing boots. I doubt i would want a steel shank & i never got used to the higher heel & arch feeling, common with those boots. I normally where flat style converse or docs with lil arch if any. Did you get the jump boots used & broke in? I do believe in getting what you pay for with boots. Usually a well made boot costing almost $200 will be a friendly pair of footwear for a long time. Expensive doesnt always equal quality tho.

i bought them new and broke them in myself which hurt a lot! after about a week of that they were like a second skin. i have high arches but in addition the shank is designed to compress when carrying a heavy pack (like military heavy) so your aches don't collapse when walking. providing your not flat footed of course. i broke the steel shank in my boots twice from walking so much because they from soo much when walking every where with a lg alice pack full. i was such a newb back then, lol. those boots bit the dust after at least 5 years hard use road tramping it.

they finally bit the dust the first time when i caught a red light in sanfran going downhill on a skateboard and had to plant a foot as a brake. after that i had half a heel gone for a while til i got them resoled.

second time they bit the dust for good was when i was helping do some concrete work for money. i was just helping put a shovel here and there but had to stand in the stuff with my boots. well after that all the lye in the concrete ate right through all the threading. it was a sad day to see an pair of old friends go. too bad i could not give them lil warriors a viking burial. :(

so yes in short... carolina boots if cared for and not abused will probably go to the grave with ya after several resoles. you can figure about a few thousand walked miles on a pair of soles depending on the hardness you get. sorry i sound kinda weird but this is all stuff i picked up from our local shoe repair place who also makes shoes from scratch. they are old school and tell you a lot. i would travel cross country to get my boots fixed there kinda good. i also got kinda bored at times and figured how long my boots would last between brands of soles.
vibram is probably the best but goodyear makes some wicked steel belted rubber soles.

so yeah i could say i got my moneys worth.

hope this helps...
-joni

K

Kim Chee

Does anyone have any experience with surplus jungle boots for summertime freight adventures.

I've worn gi issue jungle boots in the military. If you want sturdy, inexpensive, light boots, you're on. If you need comfort in an all leather boot, be ready to pay more, likely they will be heavier and hotter. Something people tend to overlook is that boots that are comfortable tend to sacrifice durability (flexibility = movement = wear). The jungle boots should make it to late fall if you aren't carrying lots of weight and putting on 10 miles a day.

*the downside to jungle boots is that they have less ankle support than a boot made with an all leather upper. If your ankles are good, get them they are comfortable, cheap and your feet don't get too hot (good breathability).

Last edited:

MEOW

Reaction score
i have a pair of jungle boots that i got at a surplus store for around 25$.
so far they've held up well and i actually find them quite comfortable.

i have a much nicer pair of steel toe all leather boots, but i'd rather wear my jungle ones usually. they're lighter, more comfortable and do surprisingly well in the snow.

either way, 100$ is definitely wayyyy too much for them. i'd check out your local surplus stores first

Reactions: Joni

Joni

Reaction score
i have a pair of jungle boots that i got at a surplus store for around 25$.
so far they've held up well and i actually find them quite comfortable.

i have a much nicer pair of steel toe all leather boots, but i'd rather wear my jungle ones usually. they're lighter, more comfortable and do surprisingly well in the snow.

either way, 100$ is definitely wayyyy too much for them. i'd check out your local surplus stores first

i definitely agree with the jungle boots in snow. espically if they have that really agressive tread on them.

-joni

D

Deleted member 20

Can you say frost bite? Theres only a leather toe & heal with a breathable center,sides & ankle, including 2 vents for draining water that most often just brings in more liqud. Strongly disagree.

Joni

Reaction score
Can you say frost bite? Theres only a leather toe & heal with a breathable center,sides & ankle, including 2 vents for draining water that most often just brings in more liqud. Strongly disagree.
well now that you mention it i never did stay out too long in the cold with jungle boots ^.^

-joni

MEOW

Reaction score
yeah honestly when i wear them in the snow, its never for more than an hour or so. and the snow usually isnt taller than my boot.

so if youre traveling in the winter i would suggest getting another boot, but i'll stick by my words when i said they did suprisingly well. i thought the snow would soak through the non-leather parts but so far it never has.

LawrenceofSuburbia

Reaction score
I'll second what MEOW is saying, I was pleasantly suprised by how well my jungle boots did/are doing this winter even in snow about a foot deep.

however I am:
a) housed up, so they don't see too much extended extended action
b)always wearing thick wool socks

I would not ever want to wear them longterm in the winter, but they can do in a pinch it seems.

Reactions: Joni

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Help us pay the bills!

Total amount
$10.00
Goal
$100.00

Latest Library Uploads