Yes, it's exactly what it sounds like; a journey to Mexico to trip on some magical mushrooms! I plan to start somewhere North of the U.S.A; maybe even Canada and go down to Oaxaca Mexico to trip on some shrooms and record the whole process!

Now some of you guys might ask: "Why are you going all the way to Mexico to trip on some shrooms when you can get them here in the U.S.A? Well let me tell you - I've been thinking allot about this ever since i saw this video from Vice: . This video is about a couple of dudes in Mexico tripping on some shrooms in this place where its famous for people tripping on shrooms. Tripping on the mushrooms is really not that important to me what i'm really after is the journey.
I also want to make the video a certain style a like these videos: where these two Asian dudes hitchhike across America (how to hitchhike across America) and have a blast doing it. If you haven't seen it i highly suggest that you do so you can get an idea of what i'm trying to do and it's pretty entertaining to watch anyway :). I also like the their style that they shoot it in; where they have lots of variety and different environments that they go through and not just the same shot of them walking on the highway the whole video or interviewing their driver for most of the video and then you get bored watching halfway through it like some videos on youtube. I want to make this journey as interesting as possible!

Preperation:
As of right now I am roaming through the North part of the U.S hitting up the walmarts and other stores and asking people for their monies. I am trying to save up for better gear and a couple of cameras.

The Journey:
Now here's where it gets CRAZY! I plan to start somewhere up North where it's cold and still snowy hopefully with a buddy and travel south via train hopping, hitchhiking and any other types of exciting transportation. I am going to make it as interesting and diverse as possible. So a single ride on a train or car will not do! I'm going to mix it up by one state: train another state: hitchhike.

Traveling buddy/partner:
Now i could do this all by myself but it would take allot of time so i'm looking for someone to help me ease the load and to have fun with along the way. Im open to 3 people all together but no more than that and preferably all guys too.

Partner:
This is what i want in a person that wants to join me and help me with this project:
-Someone who knows how to use a camera and takes the time and energy to get good shots.
-Someone who's in relatively good shape and has lots of energy and that can pull their own weight.
I am not looking for someone who is drunk all the time or asking for cigarettes every half an hour!
-Someone who is adventurous, tough and is not afraid to get dirty or take risks like hopping the border or riding freight trains.
-Someone who is experienced in staying outside and someone who can a keep an optimistic attitude if we get stuck in a bad situation.
*If you're my partner i will do my best to make sure you are happy and well taken care of. I will cook delicious healthy food for you and try to keep you warm if you are cold and i won't downgrade you or condescend you.

What i need:
Now i plan to have my own cameras and gear but if you would like to donate or lend me some gear it would be much appreciated. Things i'm mostly looking for are SD cards since i think i'm going to need a bunch of them (like 10 or more and lots of storage too like 32-64 gb). I plan to record with a gopro hero 4 and a DSLR camera, so fast speed reading and writing SD cards would be useful. Now if you're my partner and you have your own camera that you would like to bring that would be great but i don't want to be responsible for your camera if it gets lost or stolen so take at your own risk!!! I will however take responsibility for the stuff that people lend me if they choose to do so. If anyone can think of anything else that might help me please feel free to donate it, it will be appreciated. :)

Community insights:
If you guys have any helpful information you would like to add i would appreciate it. I dont need any useless/obvious questions or comments like "arent you scared of the cartels"? or "thats dangerous". I have my mind made up so clear and non judgmental information would help allot like what i should look out for where and when or good routes to take. And lastly, if you have any other ideas that you think would help make the video more interesting I would like to hear them.

Peace yall <3
EDIT: As for making money I'm also doing small local jobs and helping people out wherever I fly a sign. And most of my signs that i fly are creative and funny; they make people laugh. I'm trying to bring people happyness and not make them more depressed. :) I just thought I'd let you know that cuz some people here are being judgemental pricks. :p

Last edited:
Click here to buy the Anarchist's Guide to Travel!

Matt Derrick

Semi-retired traveler
Staff member
Admin
Website
youtube.com
As of right now I am roaming through the North part of the U.S hitting up the walmarts and other stores and asking people for their monies. I am trying to save up for better gear and a couple of cameras.

So, I'm genuinely not trying to be a dick here, but I'm getting really tired of watching travelers finance their adventures off the backs of the middle and poorer classes. If you want to take this 'vacation' (let's call it what it is) then get a job and earn the money to do so.

Spanging off hard working folks that are taking pity on your 'homelessness' is just immoral, and takes food out of the mouth of someone that actually needs it. Spanging is for when you're down and out, not because you want to go on a magical mushroom adventure.

Matt Derrick

Semi-retired traveler
Staff member
Admin
Website
youtube.com
Also, no one is going to give you a camera with no guarantee of return. Why? Because that shit costs money. Money someone had to exchange hours of their life for; now they're going to just give that to you? Why?

Last edited:
This trip sounds amazing. Let me know if there's anything I could do to help.

When do you plan on making this trip and how long could you see it taking?
I want to start this in the next month or so but realistically I think it will take a couple months (2-3) to get everything prepared. I think itll take me a month or two to go all the way down to mexico and back. What I could really use is some SD cards something like this - http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B013CP5IWO/?tag=squattheplan-20 or this - https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00NUB3530/?tag=squattheplan-20 (meant to record HD footage , im going to need allot of them because i plan to record allot of footage. But most importantly im going to need someone to help me edit the video when I'm done. If you could spread the word that would really be appreciated. I'm going to try to make this as epic as possible!

MarsOrScars

Wanderer
Website
knotcraft.net
Also, no one is going to give you a camera with no guarantee of return. Why? Because that shit costs money. Money someone had to exchange hours of their life for in exchange; now they're going to just give that to you? Why?

He said he has his own cameras. Or plans to be getting his own cameras. I'm guess he just has a shortage of SDHC cards.

Matt Derrick

Semi-retired traveler
Staff member
Admin
Website
youtube.com
He said he has his own cameras. Or plans to be getting his own cameras. I'm guess he just has a shortage of SDHC cards.

ACTUALLY if you read what he wrote:

AND

Now i plan to have my own cameras and gear but if you would like to donate or lend me some gear it would be much appreciated.

Which obviously shows he does not have his own cameras and plans on spanging to get one, and/or hopes someone will give him one.

Yea, people don't read these days.

I read every word, you're just not happy that I'm calling you out on your shit.

MarsOrScars

Wanderer
Website
knotcraft.net
I want to start this in the next month or so but realistically I think it will take a couple months (2-3) to get everything prepared.I think itll take me a month or two to go all the way down to mexico and back.
I could maybe bounce for a few weeks (2-3, possibly 1 month) but unfortunately I have obligations. It's all dependent on when too. I got a lot of trips to make in June. August is looking free-ish.

Regarding your storage requirements. For the kind of traveling you're doing I probably would not invest a lot of my money in carrying multiple SD cards that could get damaged. Of course have a few really good ones to record HD video. However, I would make regular uploads on resources like MEGA. Their rates are pretty fair (free plan is 50 GB) and you can upload from android.

But most importantly im going to need someone to help me edit the video when I'm done. If you could spread the word that would really be appreciated. I'm going to try to make this as epic as possible!

I have editing talents, but that shit takes to much time to simply do for free (and I hate doing it, lol). I could offer tips on how you would go about doing things. So hit me up any time, I wouldn't mind.

Not really sure if you plan on doing a one piece documentary or a vlog project. If vlog then you could just make regular uploads to youtube AND benefit from that youtube cash.

Also, there's this lady I met the other day selling a really sweet bundle. It's a NIkon D5100, 18-55 f/3.5-5.6 & 70-300mm f/3.5-5.6 - $750. Pretty much, that's the lenses (brand new) and the camera body for free. lol. The D5100 is capable of recording 1080p, but I'd have an external microphone because Nikon's mics aren't the best. IMHO, Canon makes the best cameras for video.

So, I'm genuinely not trying to be a dick here, but I'm getting really tired of watching travelers finance their adventures off the backs of the middle and poorer classes. If you want to take this 'vacation' (let's call it what it is) then get a job and earn the money to do so.

Spanging off hard working folks that are taking pity on your 'homelessness' is just immoral, and takes food out of the mouth of someone that actually needs it. Spanging is for when you're down and out, not because you want to go on a magical mushroom adventure.
And i'm not trying to be a dick either but i specifically stated "I dont need any useless/obvious questions or comments" "clear and non judgmental information would help allot".

If i could find a good paying job i would (know of any?) but in the meantime i'm trying to do my best to make something. Plus this isn't a "vacation" its a project. Now if you wanna hate go ahead, but in the mean time im going to take action and get something done, while you just sit there and give me shit i'm going to work to get this project finished! At the end of the day i'm going to know i did something productive and you can watch the end result or not.

Sincerely:
Please look at this as giving back to people (entertaining) and not just mooching (i could spend this on other things like drugs you know, but i dont).

EphemeralStick

The Guay Agenda
You think doing a bunch of mushrooms and making videos is giving back to people? What warped reality are you living in? To reiterate what @Matt Derrick said you just don't like being called out.

There are plenty of jobs out there to do that will give you the start money you need without asking people to just hand it to you. Get over yourself.

Matt Derrick

Semi-retired traveler
Staff member
Admin
Website
youtube.com
And i'm not trying to be a dick either but i specifically stated "I dont need any useless/obvious questions or comments" "clear and non judgmental information would help allot".

so what you really mean is this:

hands-on-ears.jpg

I'M NOT LISTENING!

Matt Derrick

Semi-retired traveler
Staff member
Admin
Website
youtube.com
Come on man, you're a good kid, I like you, I just think you're really not thinking this through.

Now if you wanna hate go ahead, but in the mean time im going to take action and get something done, while you just sit there and give me shit i'm going to work to get this project finished! At the end of the day i'm going to know i did something productive

really? you're going to play that card? cause, you know, i'm just sitting here on my ass doing nothing but a complete website redesign, several new StP related projects, writing a book, and organizing the next StP gathering, but hey, what do i know?

if you don't want criticism, don't announce your project to the world...

Come on man, you're a good kid, I like you, I just think you're really not thinking this through.

really? you're going to play that card? cause, you know, i'm just sitting here on my ass doing nothing but a complete website redesign, several new StP related projects, writing a book, and organizing the next StP gathering, but hey, what do i know?

if you don't want criticism, don't announce your project to the world...
That's great that you're doing that and even more power to you if you're making progress and I think it's really cool. But judging other people for their ideas and dreams is not cool and IS a waste of time!

Matt Derrick

Semi-retired traveler
Staff member
Admin
Website
youtube.com
It's not a waste of time to point out the flaws in someone else's plans. If no one ever pointed these things out to each other we'd all be significantly more prone to failure. I'm merely relating my advice based on both my experience and personal moral values.

I'm not stomping on your dreams, I'm just suggesting you go about it in a different way, because you're currently on your way to ooglesville usa.

I could maybe bounce for a few weeks (2-3, possibly 1 month) but unfortunately I have obligations. It's all dependent on when too. I got a lot of trips to make in June. August is looking free-ish.

Regarding your storage requirements. For the kind of traveling you're doing I probably would not invest a lot of my money in carrying multiple SD cards that could get damaged. Of course have a few really good ones to record HD video. However, I would make regular uploads on resources like MEGA. Their rates are pretty fair (free plan is 50 GB) and you can upload from android.

I have editing talents, but that shit takes to much time to simply do for free (and I hate doing it, lol). I could offer tips on how you would go about doing things. So hit me up any time, I wouldn't mind.

Not really sure if you plan on doing a one piece documentary or a vlog project. If vlog then you could just make regular uploads to youtube AND benefit from that youtube cash.

Also, there's this lady I met the other day selling a really sweet bundle. It's a NIkon D5100, 18-55 f/3.5-5.6 & 70-300mm f/3.5-5.6 - $750. Pretty much, that's the lenses (brand new) and the camera body for free. lol. The D5100 is capable of recording 1080p, but I'd have an external microphone because Nikon's mics aren't the best. IMHO, Canon makes the best cameras for video.
Thanks 4 the help mate! I plan to do a one piece thing separated into a couple pieces all together somewhere around an hour. As for YouTube cash I don't plan on getting any I just want to share the adventures and creativity for FREE.

E

etpyh

I deleted myself
Plus this isn't a "vacation" its a project.
Filming yourself while going on vacation might be a project, but it's also still vacation imho.

If you are going to upload during your trip anyway I wouldn't worry about too many sd cards, but take one Wifi sd card (depending on what you are using to upload) and one backup.

Users who are viewing this thread

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Support StP!

Donations go towards paying our monthly server fees, adding new features to the website, and occasionally putting a burrito in Matt's mouth.

Total amount
$90.00
Goal
$100.00

Monthly Goals

1. Paying the Bills
    $50.00 of $50.00 - reached!
    The first $50 in donations go towards paying our monthly server fees and adding new features to the website. Once this goal is reached, we'll see about feeding Matt that burrito.
  2. Buy Matt a Beer
    $75.00 of $75.00 - reached!
    Now that we have the bills paid for this month, let's give Matt a hearty thank you by buying him a drink for all the hard work he's done for StP. Hopefully his will help keep him from going insane after a long day of squishing website bugs.
  3. Feed Matt a Burrito
    $90.00 of $100.00
    Now that the bills are paid and Matt has a beer in his hand, how about showing him your love by rewarding all his hard work with a big fat burrito to put in his mouth. This will keep him alive while programming new features for the website.
  4. Finance the Shopping Cart
    $90.00 of $200.00
    Now that the bills are paid and Matt is fed, perhaps it's time to start planning for those twilight years under the bridge... if only he had that golden shopping cart all the oogles are bragging about these days.