Meeting people

Z

zipty6425

Why is it that everybody talks about all the cool people they meet on the road, and I've been on the road basically all of this year, in 13 states, and I've hardly met anybody... I've met like 5 people all year....

I guess my real question is, where or how do YOU come across some of the interesting people you've met

Sent from my Z716BL using the Squat the Planet mobile app!

wanderlovejosh

Reaction score
I think it depends on the person.. I've met some cool people, but I wouldn't say more than 7 this year.. Some people can probably have met 20 people in one year because of their personality.. Others not so much.. It's just relative to the person.

Z

zipty6425

How and why did you meet those 7 people. For me, hitch hiking and riding the city bus was the only way I met 5 people this year... O and the park I met a really cool dude who let me crash on his couch that night...

wanderlovejosh

Reaction score
Some were hitch hikers I picked up, some where they van dwellers that just happen to park beside me in wal mart while I was getting food and we talked about our similar vans and smoked some weed. Other might be from short term jobs we were really interested in the idea of travel.

Multifaceted

Reaction score
What states have you gone through? What major cities? How much time do you spend on average in major cities as opposed to the boonies?
It seems to me the majority of people in the US that travel start with the western coastal states - often times with big dreams of Portland or Eugene or Seattle. You'll have no trouble meeting people if you're wandering around one of those three. Each and every time I've been to downtown Seattle I've met travellers, be they busking or selling something on the side of the street.
Are you walking around with a forlorn look or smiling at passersby? Be approachable, but not creepy. I've seen many a traveller without speaking up to say hello - typically I lose my nerve to approach them because they look intimidating. :p

landpirate

campervan untilising nomadic traveller
Reaction score
Why is it that everybody talks about all the cool people they meet on the road, and I've been in the road basically all of this year, in 13 states, and I've hardly met anybody... I've met like 5 people all year....

I guess my real question is, where or how do YOU come across some of the interesting people you've met

You could try making a post in the road dogs and meet ups section of the forum and see if there are any cool people to hang out with in your area.

https://squattheplanet.com/road-dogs/

Reactions: Tude

kriminalmisfit

Reaction score
I find that humor can help break the ice in some situations, if you bust out some jokes or start a friendly conversation it can make you appear less intimidating. Can't rely too much on other people warming up to you unless you do some legwork to make yourself seem legit. That's how it is for me but you may have a different approach. Helping out people working if you see them, also comes to mind and You might score small jobs this way.

Tude

Sometimes traveler is traveling.
Reaction score
I've met some cool people but on the couch surfing side - people who came to me for a couch - met some great people - people I still keep in touch with. But I do have to say when the weather breaks in upstate NY and travelers start coming through - I've run up and met several cool people - give them information on places to go, where to camp, churches that feed, what areas not good to fly etc. And help out if needed. There are a couple of meeting spots on the "traveling" street I live off of and will make sure I hit that spot on my travels.

But I also like what @landpirate stated as well. :)

Bedheadred

Reaction score
I've been traveling the west coast for the last 3 months, there are travelers EVERYWHERE. Where I am now in Arizona is basically where everyone hides out for the winter and you can't go anywhere without meeting travelers. I guess it really depends on where you are, I bet you won't be meeting many travelers on the east coast or anywhere cold right now

AAAutin

Reaction score
If you don't have an outgoing personality (I don't), a lot of it just comes down to happenstance: walking down a desolate road right into another traveler, passing a busker/spanger who queries after a better spot, sitting down at a park bench adjacent to a homebum who doesn't want to drink alone. Better to not force interaction; not everyone on the street is someone with whom you'd want to associate.

NattyKiwi

Previously Steve James
Reaction score
I hear ya brah. Ive been on the road almost 2 years now and have mostly stayed on farms for work trade. Thats how i found A Lot of cool like minded people! and some not so cool buzzkill kine. But I haven't had the opportunity to travel this year because im still taking in Hawaii and trying to save some cash for my next travel session.

MikeLW

Reaction score
Old post I know. There is some kind of higher power at work that brings people together. I don't know what it is but it is there. My best pals were found on this principle. Blows my my mind still to this day.

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads