Meat presevation

THE REAL SCAVENGER

Reaction score
If anyone can tell me or link me to resources on how to make jerky outside in the woods or preservhng meat without regrigiration id appreciate it

ResistMuchObeyLittle

Reaction score
Reactions: 1CannaBliss3

Tony Pro

Reaction score
Website
gavincwillow.wordpress.com
The links posted above look great, but I'll just add an ultra-primitive method I've used to dehydrate:
Make a campfire and find a wide, pyramid-shaped rock. Push one end of the rock into the fire, and stick thin meat slices to the side facing away from the fire. This should dry them out fairly quick.
Test the rock with your finger frequently; if it hurts to touch, then it's too hot. You don't want it so hot it cooks the meat.

As always, cut the meat as thin as possible and trim off all fat.

mouse

Reaction score
For folks who are vehicle-mobile or vehicle dwellers, pressure canning is low tech, low cost, and shelf stable. Small used canners and jars are available at thrift stores for cheeeeep.. You may have to replace the gaskets/seals, and do look for one that has the pressure regulator (the weight) with it.

Not good for folks on foot/bike because of the weight and size of the gear. But the canner (minus the top) can replace another large pot for folks in vehicles.

Side benefit: pressure canners can be used for pressure cooking; this drastically reduces cooking time and fuel required.

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads