Mazatlan to La Paz (jumpin´ships) | Squat the Planet

Mazatlan to La Paz (jumpin´ships)

ridegnu

Reaction score
I have read in many tourist guide books of Mexico that say you can get back and forth from Baja to Mainland Mexico without the use of the ferry. Lots of people chart boats down to Baja from the US and Canada however the only Dry dock/Port for large ships for maintnence is in Mazatlan (on the mainland).

I read that if you go to the ports and post a message over the radio it is possible to get on as a deck hand on one of the many ships. However I left all my toursit guide books at home and I can´t find any helpful tips on the internet (including where the heck the port in Mazatlan is)

Does anyone have any experince on this subject? I am just starting to figure it out (first day in Mazatlan today) I will keep you folks posted as I figure things out incase anyone else is interested.

bote

Reaction score
there are generally many private boats sailing to Baja across the sea of Cortez. The port and marinas should be pretty easy to find, ask around (locally)

ridegnu

Reaction score
So I have been working on this ship thing for a little while now, here is what I got

Mazatlan has a few ports and marinas. Near the South end of town (old Mazatlan) are the ports and larger marinas. This is where the cargo ships as well as the ferries dock, if you want to pay for a ride, go here.

The private Marinas are located North of the Golden Zone (the new Mazatlan) and their are two. Marina El Cid, the smaller of the two Marinas which is associated with the El Cid Hotel chain here in Mazatlan. And the Larger Mazatlan Marina which is North of the El Cid Marina.

Getting a ride. I went to both Marinas and posted notices on the message boards as well as the doors or gate which leads down to the docks, I figured the dock gates would be a good place for a poster as everyone on the dock must pass thorugh there, however I noticed all my posters were takin down the next day.

You best bet is to hang around the Marina for a while until you find a boater who will let you use his VHF Radio. Every morning at 8 AM a radio show is held for all boaters who are interested in tuning in. This little radio broadcast covers a number of subjects, Emergencys, Items for sale or trade, mail and delivery services, local help, and arrivals and departures which has a sub section for Ride Share. Find a boater with a VHF radio and just be available every morning at 8 AM to make a request for a ride.

I have been at it for 4 days now and have had no luck yet, but expect it to take time. The ride itself to Baja will take at the longest on a slow boat 48 hours, so make sure to plan ahead. And if not, their is always a ferry.

Hope this here information comes in handy for someone, got 2 more days to catch a boat before I have to pay for the ferry, wish me luck. Peace!

wizehop

Chasing the Darkness
Reaction score
I took a cargo ship from La Paz to Mazatlan about 4 years ago. We looked in a brochure and decided to splurge and get our own room on this nice looking ferry. when we got there to buy our tickets they told us they only had general seating.
So we got the tickets and walked passed all these slick looking cruise ships to a dilapidated cargo ship that was carrying 18 wheelers and had one little room in the middle underneath.
It was pretty cheap and we could walk about, plus it was 18 hours over night so we saved on a place to sleep.

wizehop

Chasing the Darkness
Reaction score
I took a cargo ship from La Paz to Mazatlan about 4 years ago. We looked in a brochure and decided to splurge and get our own room on this nice looking ferry. when we got there to buy our tickets they told us they only had general seating.
So we got the tickets and walked passed all these slick looking cruise ships to a dilapidated cargo ship that was carrying 18 wheelers and had one little room in the middle underneath.
It was pretty cheap and we could walk about, plus it was 18 hours over night so we saved on a place to sleep.

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Help us pay the bills!

Total amount
$10.00
Goal
$100.00

Latest Library Uploads