Maybe i'll get to talk to some nice folks

Sidewayssam

Reaction score
Hi I'm Sam, pronouns they/them; I've heard of this forum before but never really checked it out. I see a lot of leftist content and a lot of support for de queers, and I like that, so I figured I'd join.
I used to hitchhike and hike long distance a lot. Spent some years on the road after high school trying to figure myself out. I was a different person then, in a lot of ways.

My body doesn't hold up like it used to, so my traveling slowed down a lot. Been housed up in the PNW for a few years, working, struggling to get by, watching everyone else struggling too. Radicalizing.

Now my partner and I are living/traveling in their van. Picked up seasonal jobs through the end of the year. I'm seeing things I've seen before but in a new light. It's my first time traveling with the values that I have now. Also my first time traveling since coming out as non-binary. Would be very interested in conversation around that aspect of travel, since trans identities seem to constantly be under attack these days and living out is a pretty vulnerable position to be in. I "pass" as a white male though so I experience a great deal of privilege as far as that goes.

I've spent most of my life looking at the world through a pretty toxic, individualistic lens. I'm working hard, full time, to break those walls down. I truly believe that we need each other.

That's kind of why I'm here. I hope to connect with other anarchists, other queer folks, other people living on the margins who are interested in doing the hard work. Dirtying our hands together in order to create true class solidarity.

Anyway, sorry this is so long, but I appreciate that a community like this exists and I hope I'm able to contribute something meaningful to it.
Thanks for having me.

P.S. I'm into folk punk, always love a recommendation if ya got one.

imaginarymax

Reaction score
Website
linktr.ee
Yo Sam, fellow nonbinary traveler. I'm out of the closet when asked or around other queers, but generally if people assume I'm one end of the binary or another I don't correct them for safeties sake. What about you?? It's been really interesting growing up seen as a girl, growing older and getting more glimpses into what it's like to be treated with male privilege when passing hahaha. Some people are so unfamiliar with the concept of what gender vs sex is that to bring it up only turns us into 'other,' which I fall into regardless of gender. My ex gf (trans) would get upset that i wasn't always out of the closet. Martyrdom or something. How do you feel about that.

On another note, what's the cause for the change in perspective (individualistic -> community minded)? Travels? Y'all staying around the PNW orrrr

Sidewayssam

Reaction score
Hi friend! I operate in a very similar way. Most of the time people assume I'm male, and most of the time I don't correct them, the exception being if we'll be hanging out for a while or if I'm in a queer-friendly space. Sometimes the conversation is just absolutely exhausting, sometimes bordering on dangerous, so I often keep to myself until I can feel out the vibe wherever I'm at. Usually people get super weird if I tell them I'm not a man. I feel like some of that comes from not understanding why I wouls give up the social capital that comes with being seen that way. That sounds almost kind of empowering, to sort of gain access to being seen in a way you hadn't before and experiencing that difference.. not to assume it always goes positively of course.

Your ex's take is a pretty familiar one, but I think it's a bummer... That kind of just amounts to policing someone's identity doesn't it? I often feel some guilt for not being more open all the time and representing our community, but at the end of the day my gender identity is my experience alone, and putting on a performance to be more "visibly" queer feels just as fake and disingenuous as putting on a performance to seem more male. So fuck it I guess.

As far as the change in perspective goes, I can't think of a specific inciting incident, so to speak. Learning more about the state's utter failure to provide for the needs of people has been a big part of it.
It gradually became clear that WE keep us safe, that WE can uplift each other more than any capitalist state ever will, but before we can even really talk about dismantling capitalism, we have to talk about providing for those needs outside of that system. That means giving up our notions of personal "success" and understanding that we are a collective whole, and as such we all benefit from fighting for a more equitable society and creating space for those who go forgotten by "mainstream" society.
Sorry, I have a hard time not getting on a rant on topics like that 😅

I'll be in Utah at least through the end of the year, but my community is based in Washington so I'll always end up back there from time to time. Do you travel through there often?

Anyway thanks for your interest, sorry my response ended up being so long but your questions got my brain going this morning. Hope you have a good day!

Reactions: imaginarymax

rivervictor

truth pumpkin
Reaction score
Website
www.listeningtothenoiseuntilitmakessense.com
good morning to Sam and imaginarymax. love to yr travels. I enjoyed your comment, Sam, that it was your first time traveling with your current values. I love changing.

my spouse is non-binary person and mostly is looked at and considered a man. but we speak up about how that's not the case, when we feel safe to. we are settled in southern Oregon for a month and a half.

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads