Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, this notice is just to let you know that we periodically remove threads in the Ride Board area that have had no responses in the past year. This way you can be assured the listings here are (relatively) fresh!
Dismiss Notice
Hey you! Yeah, we see you there, lurking! Well, this notice is just to let you know that there's several sections of the website that are available to members only! You're missing out on a lot of stuff by not signing up for an account! It's free, so what have you got to lose?

Seeking Ride May 18 NYC to SW Ohio

Discussion in 'Ride Board' started by Elizabeth Kimmel, Apr 21, 2018.

1. Elizabeth Kimmel

Biology Teacher
    Address:
    Memphis, TN, United States
    Ratings:
    +5 / -0
    Local Time:
    6:36 PM
    Departing from: JFK Airport in NYC
    Destination: SW Ohio
    Date range: June 18

Hello all!

I am a 24-year-old first-year Biology teacher in Memphis, TN, running away to visit a friend in France. Logistics getting back to my hometown from the airport on the way back though are challenging given the timing of my flight. Is anyone able to help out? I can drive some and pay for gas. I will have many stories to tell of my adventures in France and of all the craziness of being a small, white, young, blonde, female teacher in the inner city in one of the academically lowest-preforming districts in the USA.

Thank you,
    Elizabeth

#1 Elizabeth Kimmel, Apr 21, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 22, 2018
  2. Gaucho Deluxe

rude boy ninja turtle
    Address:
    Denver, CO, United States
    Ratings:
    +859 / -3
    Local Time:
    oh my gawd ROFL. thank you

3. OP
    OP
    Elizabeth Kimmel

Biology Teacher
    Address:
    Ratings:
    +5 / -0
    Local Time:
    You've got to laugh to keep from crying, man. Its insane how fast things become normal. (I'll generalize some, to avoid getting fired, but realize I'm not making this up!) They don't seem to fail kids here, so some of my high schoolers are on a 5th grade reading level. Because of teacher shortages (there are 200 too few in this county this school year), some of my 9th graders have never had a science teacher before.

The elementary kids can't always go outside for recess, because there are gunshots. One kid was glad to move houses because there are fewer shootings where she is and now she can sleep through the night. A 5th grader often doesn't come to school, because she is taking care of her younger siblings. One 5th grader is homeless. Another acts out because his dad rapes his sister. On Wednesday, one child's big brother was shot and killed. Earlier this year, another kid's uncle was killed under suspicious circumstances.

A number of my 9th grade girls have been raped. Many are actively suicidal and a few have been hospitalized this year. One child set my teddy bear on fire. Another, when I came in with a bleeding elbow one week and a broken arm the next (I had a bad fall from my bike and then fell out of a tree), offered to have her mama beat up my boyfriend.

No wonder my kids are angry and haven't done their homework!

4. Gaucho Deluxe

rude boy ninja turtle
    Address:
    Denver, CO, United States
    Ratings:
    +859 / -3
    Local Time:
    yea all that going on while you take your leave to France. thats y its funny its hypocritical. all those kids are probably African american too.

5. OP
    OP
    Elizabeth Kimmel

Biology Teacher
    Address:
    Ratings:
    +5 / -0
    Local Time:
    It's true. Maybe I'm just justifying it, but I need to get away, take a nap, and visit a friend- rejuvenate so that I can do it all again next year. And my kids do not have the privilege/opportunity to run away.

My school is very new, but doing some great things. I was actually talking last week with another teacher about the feasibility of coordinating a Europe Trip for the kids in the coming years. Thank you for reminding me! I've put it on my list to gather resources this week from my old 8th grade English teacher who used to do this. Lord-willing, this will come to fruition! :)

6. rana y sapo

rana y sapo Wayfarer
    Lifetime Supporter

Address:
    Chester, MD, United States
    Ratings:
    +103 / -4
    Local Time:
    7:36 PM
    safe travels ::bookworm::