Matt Derrick

Retired Wanderer
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
Living on a DIY riverbed island in the mountains of Kosovo

JUNE 1, 2015

http://vandogtraveller.com/living-on-a-diy-riverbed-island-in-the-mountains-of-kosovo/

There’s a guy who has built his own island on a riverbed at the foot of the Prokletije Mountains in Kosovo. I got his attention and he waved us across.

Let me show you…

You walk through some bushes
kosovo-river-squat-downhere.jpg

You get to here
kosovo-river-squat-river.jpg

Then you have to cross the river
kosovo-river-squat-cross-river.jpg

There’s this guy that lives here
kosovo-river-squat-river-bed-man.jpg

He spent 2 years making his own island on the river bed
kosovo-river-squat-diy-island.jpg

It’s kind of like a hotel
kosovo-river-squat-hotel.jpg

It has guest beds
kosovo-river-squat-guest-bed.jpg

and sports facilities
kosovo-river-squat-basketball.jpg

A washing machine
kosovo-river-squat-river-washing-machine.jpg

An ensuite bathroom
kosovo-river-squat-onsuite.jpg

Garden
kosovo-river-squat-garden.jpg

A place to chill
kosovo-river-squat-relaxing.jpg

This is where he sleeps
There’s also a fire and chimney in here

kosovo-river-squat-master-bedroom.jpg

I asked him why he’s done this and he told me to close my eyes and listen to the river. But who is this guy? he didn’t speak much English and I can’t speak any Kosovan Albanian, but from what I could understand, he’s a dentist or dental technician. He did have good teeth.

What do you reckon? would you live here?

Kal

Reaction score
Interesting. I would be worry about a lot of rain and the river rising and then flooding. Doesn't seem like a good place to sleep. So no I wouldn't sleep there.

Sip

Reaction score
I'm probably gonna take some heat for this but fuck it, we're a community that values free speech:

I feel like he is a douche for fucking with the river like that just so he'd have a 'cool' place to camp. When he gets bored of it, dies, or gets kicked out or whatever, the fucking island he made will still be there, altering the flow of the river, having unforseen consequences for that body of water far into the future. What if trees and such grown in, and start daming up the place? He seems like a selfish prick thats not much better than people who thin out forests to the max to have "houses in the woods". Fuck that.

iamwhatiam

Burrito fund contributor
StP Supporter
Reaction score
I'm probably gonna take some heat for this but fuck it, we're a community that values free speech:

I feel like he is a douche for fucking with the river like that just so he'd have a 'cool' place to camp. When he gets bored of it, dies, or gets kicked out or whatever, the fucking island he made will still be there, altering the flow of the river, having unforseen consequences for that body of water far into the future. What if trees and such grown in, and start daming up the place? He seems like a selfish prick thats not much better than people who thin out forests to the max to have "houses in the woods". Fuck that.
yea..that was actually one of my first thoughts too. try doing that in any major salmon spawning streams in the US or Alaska at least and you'd catch major heat

Tude

Sometimes traveler is traveling.
Reaction score
Interesting but has issues with the water - went and looked at the large steep mountains and there has to be some run off there! However I like how it was presented - comparing it to a hotel. Guest beds LOL! Have to go take a look at what else the writer/photographer has done. :)

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Help us pay the bills!

Total amount
$0.00
Goal
$100.00

Latest Library Uploads