1. Not like it changes anything, but we are obligated to inform you that we are using cookies - so, we just did. Learn More.
  2. Hey you! Yeah, we see you there, lurking! Well, this notice is just to let you know that there's several sections of the website that are available to members only! You're missing out on a lot of stuff by not signing up for an account! It's free, so what have you got to lose?
    Dismiss Notice

Making StP bigger, better, stronger!

Discussion in 'Announcements & Feedback' started by Matt Derrick, Mar 17, 2017.

1. Matt Derrick

Matt Derrick StP Founder, Admin, and travel addict
    Staff Member Admin

Achievements:
    Professional Adventurer
    City:
    Cle Elum
    State:
    WA
    View on map:
    My Website(s):
    Ratings:
    +7,026 / -48
    Hey folks, this announcement is to let everyone know that we are now working with the Cloudflare CDN service. This service caches things like images, javascript and other website content into data centers around the globe. The purpose of this is to load those things from data centers that are nearer to your location, therefore making the website load much faster.

This should be most significant to people outside the USA, where latency is the longest, resulting in StP taking quite a while to load in some countries. Hopefully this should help alleviate that problem and encourage people in those areas to participate on StP more frequently.

If you notice anything unusual after the transition, please let me know!

Second, I've decided to get rid of the newest threads block at the top of the home page. The code it was based on is ancient as hell, and slowing down the site a bit. I know this was a popular info block for most users, but the 'new posts' link (the one with the red number next to it showing how many unread posts you have) serves the exact same purpose, so I would encourage you to use that to check on the newest content on StP.

The goal of these changes (along with many, many others on the server end) has been to decrease the amount of time it takes to load the StP website, and therefore make it more friendly to mobile users. People on mobile devices should notice a significant increase in speed and useability.

I have set a new requirement for new users that are registering an account. They must now upload an avatar while filling in their registration details. We are asking that all users have an avatar while participating on the website from here on. Not doing so is not a ban-able or warn-able offense, but we'd appreciate you working with us to make yourself a part of this community.

Lastly, I have updated the user welcome email and rules in the help area. Most importantly, the website rules have been vastly simplified:

I encourage people to read the details of each rule by clicking on the links above or going to the help area. Hopefully this will make things a bit more clear when dealing with questionable content and users.

Of course, I'm always open to ideas and suggestions, and even (constructive) criticism! Let me know what you think!

• Like Like x 6
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Useful Useful x 1
  2. Matt Derrick

Staff Member Admin

Achievements:
    Professional Adventurer
    City:
    Cle Elum
    State:
    WA
    View on map:
    My Website(s):
    Ratings:
    +7,026 / -48
    oh, i forgot to mention that @zim updated the post ratings system, most importantly adding 'agree/disagree'. these two votes do not add positive or negative votes to that person's profile (they are 'neutral'). this is to encourage people to agree or disagree without being forced to give a negative rating (such as 'dislike'). that way, you can disagree with a person without 'disliking' on them with a negative rating.

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. Coywolf

Coywolf Sir Drinks-A-Lot
    StP Supporter

Achievements:
    Seasonal Park Ranger
    City:
    Moab
    State:
    UT
    View on map:
    Ratings:
    +274 / -1
    Right On, I have confidence in your skills as proprietor of this fine establishment. Thanks for the update!:D

Also thanks @zim . That -1 on my profile has really been buggin' the shit outta me.....fuckin' haters....

• Like Like x 2
  4. Aussie Timm

Aussie Timm Celebrated Poster

Achievements:
    3rd year apprentice welder/metal fabricator
    View on map:
    Ratings:
    +152 / -0
    Was wondering what the agree and disagree options were for when we already have the like and dislike options, to me its the same thing lol

5. AlmostAlwaysLost

AlmostAlwaysLost Failed Adventurer
    StP Supporter

Achievements:
    Ratings:
    +288 / -1
    Agree/disagree doesn't add a negative rating to the poster so you can disagree with him without adding a -1

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  6. Matt Derrick

Staff Member Admin

Achievements:
    Professional Adventurer
    City:
    Cle Elum
    State:
    WA
    View on map:
    My Website(s):
    Ratings:
    +7,026 / -48
    just an FYI, i have disabled logging into StP via social media services like google+, facebook, and twitter. this has been done to remove a few queries to the database to make pages load faster. also, not many (hardly anyone) uses these, so i've decided to get rid of them.

you can, of course, still share StP content via social media services, and we encourage you to do so.

7. Anagor

Anagor Sir Posts a Lot

Achievements:
    Software Developer
    View on map:
    My Website(s):
    Ratings:
    +440 / -3
    Well, it reappeared again, obviously. To be honest, I like it this way better than the "New Posts" page.

Thanks for the efforts to make StP a bit faster, especially for people outside the States. :)

Don't know if it is possible at all, but it would be nice if users could enable/disable functionality in their preferences. So for example I could use "full-featured" StP when I'm on a powerful machine with good internet connection and a more stripped down version on my crappy old notebook when I'm sitting in a Starbucks.

But as said, I don't know if it is possible at all and most likely (if) it would mean a lot of work.

8. Matt Derrick

Staff Member Admin

Achievements:
    Professional Adventurer
    City:
    Cle Elum
    State:
    WA
    View on map:
    My Website(s):
    Ratings:
    +7,026 / -48
    i know people are pretty attached to that plugin, so im experimenting with keeping it around. if it doesn't affect the page speed too badly with the new CDN we're on, i'll keep it active. so far, things look good:

https://tools.pingdom.com/#!/d4AXVr/http://squattheplanet.com

the StP website is fully 'responsive' meaning it automatically arranges itself to accommodate smaller screens when necessary. this combined with the recent changes to improve website speed should make it run easily even on the crappiest laptops and mobile devices.

sooooo.... try it out, and if you're still having trouble on your notebook let me know and i'll try and help you get the best experience possible :D

• Like Like x 2
  9. Anagor

Anagor Sir Posts a Lot

Achievements:
    Software Developer
    View on map:
    My Website(s):
    Ratings:
    +440 / -3
    Yeah, it does. :)

Yep, I know it's responsive ... I only think sometimes the JS part is too much for older machines.

Yep, I will.

And anyway ... thanks for the good work. I really mean it.

It's really paradox in some way ... there is a website/forum made for tramps, nomads, misfits, travelers, beggars, vagabonds ... and it's one of the best maintained and moderated sites I know ... :)

Keep up the good work and thanks!

• Like Like x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1