Making lighter gear darker?

ntdxc1878

Reaction score
This may be an odd question, but I have an orange tarp and a mostly orange sleeping bag that I would very much like to keep.

The problem is, bright orange isn't very stealth. I'd rather it be black, a dark gray or blue, just not orange.

I was thinking about possibly trying to get some black spray paint, but i'm not sure if that'll fuck up the gear or not.

What's the best way to go with this?

Reactions: Testicool

Wawa

Reaction score
Website
www.etsy.com
Uck, well the orange might be a bit hard to deal with, but in general I'd say just draw on it. Swirls, crosshatch, whatever - use two different colored paint markers and overlap a bunch of lines and shapes all over it.

Enough black and brown crosshatching might tone down orange.... I did it with a too-bright green tent and it's super camo now, and my blue backpack, but those are easier colors to work with....

Don't know if spray paint really weakens the waterproofing, but that is what I've been told.

andi

Reaction score
I'm not sure how well it would work on the tarp, but maybe try stitching pieces of black/brown fabric and patches on the sleeping bag. It might take a while, but then at least its reversible if you ever want the orange back.

EphemeralStick

Andie of the House of Queer
Reaction score
You can find fabric dye at most craft stores, it's relatively cheap and comes in a little pouch with instructions. The dye comes in variety of colors. It should work just fine for the sleeping bag but the tarp might be a little more difficult. What I've heard is that spray painting a tarp causes the material to stiffen thus causing it to crack more easily.

Maybe using an oil based brown stain or paint might be more long term effective? I'm just spit balling theories here; it might easier to just pick up a newer brown tarp.

• Useful
Reactions: AAAutin

ntdxc1878

Reaction score
Uck, well the orange might be a bit hard to deal with, but in general I'd say just draw on it. Swirls, crosshatch, whatever - use two different colored paint markers and overlap a bunch of lines and shapes all over it.

Enough black and brown crosshatching might tone down orange.... I did it with a too-bright green tent and it's super camo now, and my blue backpack, but those are easier colors to work with....

Don't know if spray paint really weakens the waterproofing, but that is what I've been told.
Wow, I didn't even think about the paint markers. That definitely may be the way to go with the bag at least. The tarp will definitely be difficult, I'll have to look for other options.

ntdxc1878

Reaction score
it might easier to just pick up a newer brown tarp.
yeah, I really like the tarp cause its real light and folds up nicely, but if I cant get it darker I may have to get a new one unfortunately. Dont really want to use a bright orange tarp...

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads