Makeshift strings | Squat the Planet

Makeshift strings

Rune

Reaction score
Website
www.perchance.org
I have a lyre and i was wondering if there are makeshift strings i can string it with.
i know cattle gut is the old timey string, but what else can i use in a bind? heh..

MetalBryan

Reaction score
There's an artist in Sweden - Simon the Magpie. He has a youtube channel with a lot of weird stuff, but one thing he does is experiment with guitar strings. I'm assuming you're talking about replacing ACOUSTIC strings on a 6-string guitar, so not sure any of these videos will help you because they are all for electric guitar.

For example, here's a video where he replaced the strings of his bass guitar with...

magnetic audio tape -
shoelaces -
jump rope -
balloons -

You get the idea. I thought these might inspire you to think about unconventional materials in addition to historic materials.

• Love It
Reactions: Rune

Rune

Reaction score
Website
www.perchance.org
ty!

i did also read that you can use fishing line for a professional sound.

MetalBryan

Reaction score
Someone I knew that traveled with a ukulele used dental floss. I didn't mention it at first because they were replacing strings all the time, but maybe with a lyre your interaction with the strings is less aggressive. Please post what you come up with this is something I'm interested in hearing about.

• Love It

Tony G

Reaction score
ty!

i did also read that you can use fishing line for a professional sound.
Someone I knew that traveled with a ukulele used dental floss. I didn't mention it at first because they were replacing strings all the time, but maybe with a lyre your interaction with the strings is less aggressive. Please post what you come up with this is something I'm interested in hearing about.
A uke is different the tension is vary low compared to a guitar or lyre

• Love It

Rune

Reaction score
Website
www.perchance.org

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Help us pay the bills!

Total amount
$10.00
Goal
$100.00

Latest Library Uploads