Announcement Major changes to requirements for the train hopping section (1 Viewer)

Matt Derrick

Semi-retired traveler
Staff member
Admin
Website
youtube.com
Hey folks, I wanted to make sure everyone was aware of an important change we've made to the train hopping section of StP.

On top of our previous requirement that you must be logged into your StP account to view the train hopping forum, all users must now have at least 10 posts on their account and an avatar/photo added to their profile (can be anything, doesn't have to be your face). You should have your profile filled out as well, but this is not currently required specifically, the 'about me' section.

We've implemented this restriction to reduce what I'm calling 'drive-by posting' where (usually newbies) come in asking to be spoon-fed some kind of train hopping information (i.e. without using the search box or doing their own research) and then disappear, never to be heard from again (or participating in the community). So, in order to spur more serious and helpful discussion of train hopping related information, we've decided this is the best way to tighten security while not closing off access entirely (say behind some kind of vetting system).

Obviously abuse of the forums (say, someone spamming 10 posts real quick) just to get access will be met with a fairly quick account ban. The StP community is centered around helping other travelers no matter what their chosen form of travel may be, but that help does require a small amount of participation, both for our benefit and yours.

We may adjust these new requirements for the train hopping section based on community input, just look for an announcement thread in the forums or a reply to this thread if things seem to have changed or aren't working as expected (or contact our staff).

Hopefully, this will help improve the quality of content being posted in the train hopping section of the forums and overall make that area more useful for those willing to participate in the community.

Last edited:
Click here to buy the Anarchist's Guide to Travel!
OP
Matt Derrick

Matt Derrick

Semi-retired traveler
Staff member
Admin
Website
youtube.com
Hi, I'm new. Does commenting on a post (like this one) count? Or do they have to be in my profile?
yes, it does count! so 9 more of those and you're good.

You'd think people wanting information would just find somebody with a crew change and get it photocopied
yeah but we talk about a lot of stuff you wouldn't necessarily find in the CCG and just broader more general train info.

OP
Matt Derrick

Matt Derrick

Semi-retired traveler
Staff member
Admin
Website
youtube.com
just a reminder, one word responses are frowned upon here, you should use the post ratings instead and read our guide to StP etiquette here:

Older Than Dirt

I've been muted for 30 days.
muted
Maybe you need to do something like: filled out profile + pic added + X number of posts over 50 words each (or whatever number to try to count only substantive posts, with wordy nonsense posts leading to suspension/ban) + some time period like 30 days (enough time for most ADHD looky-loos/LEOs to lose interest)?

Rue

Pilgrim
I disagree with this.

Open the forum but make it read only for newbs if you must. That information is too valuable for a beginner and you cant expect everyone to want to talk or for a 17 yo kid with very little life experience to have much to contribute to our forums.

SlankyLanky

stp user voted "the friendliest mod"
Staff member
richmond virginia, the east coasts portland.
I disagree with this.

Open the forum but make it read only for newbs if you must. That information is too valuable for a beginner and you cant expect everyone to want to talk or for a 17 yo kid with very little life experience to have much to contribute to our forums.
There are plenty of places online (and irl) to find free train info. It's not like stp is the only place with available info.

Its 10 posts on a forum for fucks sake, if that's beyond someone's ability to muster up it could be argued they have no business near freight trains to begin with.

Rue

Pilgrim
I can only speak from my experience, i wouldn't be a member if it wasn't for lurking that info and those forums. There's plenty of people less sociable than I am, especially in this crowd. They belong here nonetheless.

morphine

Lurker
Wouldn't it be possible to make those forums read-only for users who don't meet the requirements? It would solve the problem of "drive-by postings".

OP
Matt Derrick

Matt Derrick

Semi-retired traveler
Staff member
Admin
Website
youtube.com
I disagree with this.
awesome. I disagree with your disagreement.

I can only speak from my experience, i wouldn't be a member if it wasn't for lurking that info and those forums. There's plenty of people less sociable than I am, especially in this crowd. They belong here nonetheless.
no one said 'they don't belong here' we're just asking you to actually put forth some effort to keep the quality of information there up and useless posts like 'how do i hop a train' down. if you can't put forth the effort of 10 posts, then, well, i guess you don't belong here (there, i said it).

Wouldn't it be possible to make those forums read-only for users who don't meet the requirements? It would solve the problem of "drive-by postings".
that pretty much negates the entire point of hiding good train information from law enforcement and other bad actors.

morphine

Lurker
that pretty much negates the entire point of hiding good train information from law enforcement and other bad actors.

If thats a concern it makes sense the was it is, yes ofc. I only read the announcements on the Forum and this Thread and there the only reason was "less "drive-by postings" and less mindless comments/questions".

blankityblank

Anybody know why i got booted from the trainhopping section? Once I hit ten posts I was allowed in it for a week or two but I am now once more blocked from it

coltsfoot

Wayfarer
Website
audiobookbay.nl
Anybody know why i got booted from the trainhopping section? Once I hit ten posts I was allowed in it for a week or two but I am now once more blocked from it
probably has to do with how much ur profile is filled out. im also locked out. i was wondering which info is actually needed on the profile because i don't necessarily want to be giving out all the info that it's asking. of course i could just make it up but...

OP
Matt Derrick

Matt Derrick

Semi-retired traveler
Staff member
Admin
Website
youtube.com
Says i can't access it, i have much more than 10 posts.
you don't have anything in your 'about me' section.

complete details are in this post:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Support StP!

Donations go towards paying our monthly server fees, adding new features to the website, and occasionally putting a burrito in Matt's mouth.

Total amount
$0.00
Goal
$100.00

Monthly Goals

1. Paying the Bills
    $0.00 of $50.00
    The first $50 in donations go towards paying our monthly server fees and adding new features to the website. Once this goal is reached, we'll see about feeding Matt that burrito.
  2. Buy Matt a Beer
    $0.00 of $75.00
    Now that we have the bills paid for this month, let's give Matt a hearty thank you by buying him a drink for all the hard work he's done for StP. Hopefully his will help keep him from going insane after a long day of squishing website bugs.
  3. Feed Matt a Burrito
    $0.00 of $100.00
    Now that the bills are paid and Matt has a beer in his hand, how about showing him your love by rewarding all his hard work with a big fat burrito to put in his mouth. This will keep him alive while programming new features for the website.
  4. Finance the Shopping Cart
    $0.00 of $200.00
    Now that the bills are paid and Matt is fed, perhaps it's time to start planning for those twilight years under the bridge... if only he had that golden shopping cart all the oogles are bragging about these days.

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Support StP!

Donations go towards paying our monthly server fees, adding new features to the website, and occasionally putting a burrito in Matt's mouth.

Total amount
$0.00
Goal
$100.00

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Threads in last 24 hours
Messages in last 24 hours
Members in last 30 days
Latest member
Ktmrider