Mace, or gun? | Squat the Planet

Mace, or gun?

briancray

Reaction score
Website
www.bikethe.us
Alright, I'm thinking of train hopping in the near future. I already have two small three inch knives since I know anything over that in most states is illegal. I would like more protection though not that I'd need to use it but I would think a small hand gun would get me out of any predicament relatively easy, but then again comes the legality of walking around in public or trespassing with that in my pack.

I'd like to go the mace route but what kind of mace do you guys recommend? I've been maced before with those $15 bottle from bike shops and frankly it didn't do shit to me. The nozzles also suck. Is there any better stuff out there to grab or even go the taeser route? Any suggestions appreciated.

Dmac

Reaction score
funny thing about mace, it is legal to carry in most states. but if you use it on someone, you can be charged the same as using a weapon (baton, club, or brass knuckles) in SOME states anyway. in the long run, i would rather be charged with using mace than with using a weapon. that being said, i would much prefer explaining having mace on me than having a pistol on me. if you want good mace, buy the stuff police use, or get bear spray! and both work great on mean dogs. and just FYI, spraying mace in a car, will get you too.

Reactions: Tude and briancray

DesertRat

Reaction score
+1 for Bear Spray.

To add to the warnings about mace, don't try to use it if your target is upwind. Even in a light breeze it will get on you as well.

Also, if your target is in an "altered state" (hey, I'm trying to be PC. Work with me), chances are good that it won't have much of an effect.

EDIT TO ADD:
On concealing a handgun: if you qualify for and receive conceal permits from NV, FL, and UT, you should be good to go in about 90% of states, thanks to reciprocal agreements. AZ is Constitutional Carry (open or concealed, your choice, no permit needed), as is, I think, Wyoming, but I'll have to confirm that first. Just make sure you know the laws for the states your travelling through as well as your destination. A really good resource for this is www.handgunlaw.us.

Best of luck, and I hope you find a solution that works best for you.

Last edited:
C

crustythadd23

Early this year I walked in to a Military store and was checking knives and other gear and came across Tear gas mace. works well from lots say

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Help us pay the bills!

Total amount
$0.00
Goal
$100.00

Latest Library Uploads