Lot Lizards | Squat the Planet

Lot Lizards

S

soodoenim

So, we've all had to have met one in our travels; does anyone have any stories worth sharing? My buddy and I are getting ready to go out gathering footage on a new documentary, and are curious to know other folks' experiences.
Peace and Love,
Dan

wildboy860

CrustyhoboHippycore
StP Supporter
Reaction score
what the fuck is a lot lizard? please clue us in!

marc

Reaction score
one of my friends got picked up hitchhikin by a lotlizard and everynight the lotlizard would go off and do her thing and come back with a bunch ofmoney and get my friend really wasted and got her hotel rooms the whole time they were ridin together

stove

Reaction score
I've met a few lot lizards in my travels, but most of the stories they share are their to tell...can't really do justice second hand. good luck though.

M

Monkeywrench

Stove beat me to it. I've certainly met my share of bat-shit crazy prostitutes--but I didn't have any idea that they were referred to as "lot lizards".

S

soodoenim

It seems there's been some miscommunication here; I'm not under the impression that 'everyone who travels' has met a lot lizard, I just thought that this particular cross-section of inter-web communication represents a different experience of traveling . . . notwithstanding the fact that this is the particular forum for discussing hitchhiking--a group that I did assume had met lot lizards, just as I assume we've (hitchhikers) mostly met some truckers too. That being said, I was just curious to hear people's stories. No snark intended.
Peace and Love,
Dan

bote

Reaction score
it´s a pretty common term, and anyone hanging around truckstops will meet one eventually, so I don´t think you´re out of line

seen a few variations of this sticker, usually I take it as kind of a good sign that the driver just wants to do their thing, get some sleep and not be total sleazebags, so probably a good ride:

http://images1.cafepress.com/product/68054351v2_480x480_Front.jpg

dirty_rotten_squatter

Reaction score
In nola me and a few kids got offered b/j's for 20 bucks...there was 4 of us..we said no, but I ended up giving her 5 bucks cuz if she was that desperate I figured what the hell...plus i was wasted

dirtyfacedan

Reaction score
In nola me and a few kids got offered b/j's for 20 bucks...there was 4 of us..we said no, but I ended up giving her 5 bucks cuz if she was that desperate I figured what the hell...plus i was wasted

Giving yer hard made cash to a working girl? For most women, it's a way of life, the only way they know how to make money, and giving them 5 bucks won't change a thing. Sure, the 5er might be taken, but it won't stop most girls from doing tricks. That "donation" might be met with hostility, some working girls don't feel like they are charity cases, and work hard for their money. No easy money for these women , and boys as well. I met a tranny in Edmonton that worked out of truck stops, and actually did OK. The biz has a lot of risks, from simply just getting ripped of, or worse, getting beat up. Then there is the all to common murder, often shrugged aside by an intolerant, selfish society . For some of these girls, 90% or so, drug addiction plays a part, and for others...it's just a way to make money. Pulling in 500-600 a night for some girls is normal, and no job in a mans world could let them make that kind of dough. Anyways, ya... I have met a few lot lizards, I'm the son of one.

S

soodoenim

Thanks for your comments folks. Just as an update: we will be leaving New York City on January 12th and hitchhiking to Atlanta, and then to Ontario, California where we'll be living out of a hotel room (unless we can find a couch to surf) and filming for a month. Our goal is to share the stories of these folks whose very presence goes unnoticed by the majority of America, and whose lives, as DirtyFaceDan has shared with us, are undervalued when they're not completely disregarded.

S

soodoenim

Bote,
I'm not sure I understand your confusion, honestly. I'll give it a shot though: My buddy got a film grant based on an idea he had to do a documentary style film about Lot Lizards, or as has been explained above, Truckstop Prostitutes. He's already been around the country once filming, and this current trip we are about to embark is an attempt to film intensively at, what we've heard, is the single largest site of truckstop prostitution in America.

The reason why I'm posting about this on STP is that, frankly, I love web-forums, and STP has become one of my favorites (as a long-time and well-traveled hitchhiker). I thought that the opportunity to confer with other Hitchhikers might allow me to get some other people's stories regarding the subject, as well as maybe setting up some other shoots.

I hope that answers your vague question.
Peace and Love,
Dan

bote

Reaction score
missed you on the chat earlier, sorry. I guess in a general way I have a negative bias against researching documentary projects, most of the ones I´ve come across seem to be undertaken with very specific goals that tend to undermine what I see as the true value of documentary filmmaking: presenting something without subverting its meaning to fit a personal agenda, no matter how well-meaning the message or whatever.

I´m not suggesting your project won´t be good, it might even be something that I would really enjoy watching, but I can´t help thinking that good art comes from people creating in the likeness of what they know as opposed to intellectualising a temporary interest and just doing the legwork necessary to knowing the subject better than the viewer. And experience has taught me expect the latter when people with grants come around. I am given to generalising, yes

Not saying you should care or agree, the long response is out of respect (which my other post was a little lacking in).

Funny, I just remembered a crazy tweaker who picked me up in a stolen prelude one time on his way to Ontario to suck some dick. It was a wild ride and after we´d hit up peep shows and attempted to con fast food places, I escaped while he was breaking into hotel rooms. You shouldn´t have any trouble finding stories over that way.

S

soodoenim

Bote,
Thanks for your post. I just want to say--not to overemphasize one part of what you said and diminish the others--but I have spent two years of straight hitchhiking around the country (and have been hitching on and off for about 6 years), and have crossed it 8 times now, and have been across Canada once. Not to say that I need to build my credibility or anything, but just to offer that this isn't about some abstract interest.

Also, I appreciate you offering that you find the best documentaries attempt to shed the ego of the documentarians in order to fully and accurately represent the subject so far as the medium allows. That's what we're trying to do. My own personal bias as far as this subject is concerned is in regards to its relevancy. I feel that trucker culture is far more relevant to the vast majority of Americans than they'd like to admit. All of what goes on at these truckstops has to do with getting, amongst other things, food onto the tables of everyday people. In that sense, my hope is to have people look at this and realize how relevant to their daily existence this actually is. In my mind, the prostitute giving a blowjob to a trucker while he transports bell peppers across the country from Mexico to New York is no less an important part of the process of bringing those bell peppers to the table than is the migrant worker, the trucker, or the restaurateur. It's not exactly the system I want, it's just the one that we have, and I think it's important for folks to stare the truth in the face.
Peace and Love,
Dan

P.S. Thanks for your story, too.

wildboy860

CrustyhoboHippycore
StP Supporter
Reaction score
how is a blowjob relevent to the transit of goods?

it relieves they're load so they can drive easier dealing with the stresses of the road

• Haha
Reactions: Testicool

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Help us pay the bills!

Total amount
$10.00
Goal
$100.00

Latest Library Uploads