looking to travel for the first time this summer/oakland

inngbizz

Reaction score
hey, new here. i grew up backpacking, and i'm restless in oakland right now. i really want to travel for the first time!!! i want to hop trains and see the SE/SW, or the northern midwest, or even alaska. i love oakland but i need to get OUT!

any advice for a first time traveller? i am determined and hardy, but inexperienced. kinda nervous to ask some of my friends to travel with me... where do i even start?

thanks

DisgustinDustin

Reaction score
You start at RSVL, CA...

Or you could just go for it in Oakland. You live at the start of a very popular line called the overland route that runs from ( more or less) Oakland, CA to Council Bluffs, IA . Some say the line ends in Chicago but I believe the original route ended in Council Bluffs.. Anyways.. I would just bus or hitch to Roseville and go from there. You'll most likely see some kids. Maybe they will like you and show you how to ride. Just don't hang out in public.. Search officer flood in the StP search bar.
Just don't think about it too much... Pack your bag.. warm clothes, water container, possibly a cook pot/ bowl. Most of what you take with you you won't use.. So don't overpack.

So yeah, dont think on it too much if your for real about traveling.. Otherwise you'll prob never leave. Just pack your shit, got to RSVL and the rest will unfold itself... You'll be in Reno or beyond in no time. Just go for it.

Good luck.

bmb666

Reaction score
You start at RSVL, CA...

Or you could just go for it in Oakland. You live at the start of a very popular line called the overland route that runs from ( more or less) Oakland, CA to Council Bluffs, IA . Some say the line ends in Chicago but I believe the original route ended in Council Bluffs.. Anyways.. I would just bus or hitch to Roseville and go from there. You'll most likely see some kids. Maybe they will like you and show you how to ride. Just don't hang out in public.. Search officer flood in the StP search bar.
Just don't think about it too much... Pack your bag.. warm clothes, water container, possibly a cook pot/ bowl. Most of what you take with you you won't use.. So don't overpack.

So yeah, dont think on it too much if your for real about traveling.. Otherwise you'll prob never leave. Just pack your shit, got to RSVL and the rest will unfold itself... You'll be in Reno or beyond in no time. Just go for it.

Good luck.

She doesn't gotta hitch, you can get a cool ride along the bay up to roseville from oaktown. I recommend it.

inngbizz

Reaction score
You start at RSVL, CA...

Good luck.
whoa thanks man!!

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads