Looking to join an ecovillage | Squat the Planet

Looking to join an ecovillage

pioneerg

Reaction score
Hello everyone.

I'll keep this short: I'm interested in joining an ecovillage (I think that's the right term). A self-sustained village that live like Amish people. How can I find one? Do they generally allow outsiders?

DavidMD

Reaction score
I'd say ecovillages are never fully established because they are always progressing and building. Therefore, most generally are open to people helping out. A lot have visit plans or work exchange programs. http://gen.ecovillage.org is a site to find various ecovillages.

Also, workaway.info and WWOOFing are two other resources. These aren't really ecovillages but you can find farms and houses that are very self-sustaining and quasi-ecovillages.

Reactions: RVLG

pioneerg

Reaction score
I'd say ecovillages are never fully established because they are always progressing and building. Therefore, most generally are open to people helping out. A lot have visit plans or work exchange programs. http://gen.ecovillage.org is a site to find various ecovillages.

Also, workaway.info and WWOOFing are two other resources. These aren't really ecovillages but you can find farms and houses that are very self-sustaining and quasi-ecovillages.
Awesome, thanks for the links. The ecovillage link is especially useful. Will definitely look into it further. workaway.info is nice as well but you have to pay $30 to actually contact the hosts, and it also seems to be targetted towards short-term 'work abroad' type of work. I'm looking for an actual long-term community to live and work in.

How do you feel about building one of your own.I am leaving the one my wife and I live at to start one
That'd be cool but I don't really have any carpentry skills or anything. I'm looking for a village that is willing to take me in and teach me the basics for things they need to have done. Like making cheese or gardening. I think I'll be more of a hindrance than anything at a start-up

barefootinbabylon

Reaction score
www.ic.org has a pretty extensive list as well; some are more things like student co-ops and the like, communal houses, etc., but I'm sure there's quite a few 'eco-villages' on there as well. WWOOF (and growfood.org) also have a whooollleee bunch of farms; it costs somewhere around $20/year to sign up for them. Don't know if you know about the 12 Tribes (interesting 'sect' of Christians); they have farms located around the U.$. as well. What else... I heard someone suggest the 'Catholic Worker Movement;' they also have several farms around the country.

happyearth, where are you currently staying, and where are you planning to move? I might be interested....

• Haha
Reactions: AnarchyandChaosInc

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Help us pay the bills!

Total amount
$10.00
Goal
$100.00

Latest Library Uploads