Looking in Montana or the Yukon for a good spot | Squat the Planet

Looking in Montana or the Yukon for a good spot

jojoofu

Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I'm planning on heading north very soon. I want to either live in Montana or the Yukon. Montana would be preferable as I don't have a pass port so I would need to sneak over the border to Canada.

I'm looking for somewhere that is wooded with a nearby mountain or lake/stream. I'd like to have maybe a small town nearby within 15-20 miles. I plan on making a permanent shelter so this needs to be somewhere I can camp for the long term.

If anyone is interested in joining me there are few things you should know first. I'm a naturalist and survivalist so I don't make many trips to civilization. You would have to be comfortable with living long term in the wilderness and doing things such as hunting , gathering and hand crafting tools and structures. Simply put this isn't for the weak.

I look forward to hearing from you.

~The FU

Reaction score
I would recommend Yaak, MT area... Give it a look. I know a lot is Forest Service land, which isn't Ideal, but I lived in that area, in the Kootenai Mountains and it is possible.

Ranger

Reaction score
If you haven't gone already Id recommend against Yukon since you don't have a passport and couldn't work without a visa if you needed money, besides fall is settling in and unless you've got mad bush skills your not going to make it through a Yukon winter. Take this advice from someone who has actually spent a full winter there in a tent, its a harder life than you might think.

jojoofu

Reaction score
If you haven't gone already Id recommend against Yukon since you don't have a passport and couldn't work without a visa if you needed money, besides fall is settling in and unless you've got mad bush skills your not going to make it through a Yukon winter. Take this advice from someone who has actually spent a full winter there in a tent, its a harder life than you might think.

I know it's harsh which is exactly why I chose it. You get a better cut of people who are rough and tough when the stakes are higher. Keep in mind I was literally raised on a farm and I used to camp outdoors on the Canadian border when I lived in Michigan during the winter which is -5.

I'm also considering purchasing property. Where I land I'm building permanent shelters. I'm not going to live in a tent in sub zero temperatures that would be asking for trouble.

jojoofu

Reaction score
Well that's good life experience and you'll have lots of motivation when its -45;) Are you up here already?
No , I'm not coming up until probably February 2017. I want to wait until the warmer months. When I first arrive I plan on rooming for a few months while I scout out spot and set things up.

I was looking at property but every where I find that is secluded comes as a bulk deal where they want you to purchase an entire ranch for some millions of dollars. I only want a few acres. I might purchase a property by a city then set up my illegal camp away from the property.

Basically I want an off the grid , no deed / no electric , bug out type location. I own three properties in Florida but if you think snow is rough try spending a summer in the swamp. It's beyond miserable. I couldn't do it again. I'd rather light fires all night then sweat all night.

A

AlwaysLost

No , I'm not coming up until probably February 2017. I want to wait until the warmer months. When I first arrive I plan on rooming for a few months while I scout out spot and set things up.

I was looking at property but every where I find that is secluded comes as a bulk deal where they want you to purchase an entire ranch for some millions of dollars. I only want a few acres. I might purchase a property by a city then set up my illegal camp away from the property.

Basically I want an off the grid , no deed / no electric , bug out type location. I own three properties in Florida but if you think snow is rough try spending a summer in the swamp. It's beyond miserable. I couldn't do it again. I'd rather light fires all night then sweat all night.

Cold camping is so much better no bugs or snakes...hate sweating in a tent or getting eaten alive by Skeeter's.

jojoofu

Reaction score
Cold camping is so much better no bugs or snakes...hate sweating in a tent or getting eaten alive by Skeeter's.

I'm actually already up here. I decided the cold would be better because the bears are sleeping. I'm just setting up a spot then taking a bus back to Florida. I have to transition myself back into cold weather. I've been living in Florida for about 3 years now. My body thinks 70 degrees cold :)

I personally love the cold weather. I just need time to adapt to it again.

I slept outside in a tent in Florida for 2 years so I know all about the pain of heat. I would never do that again.

A

AlwaysLost

Man sounds great I'm just not sure I'm strong enough to go that hardcore ive grown really soft gonna take awhile to toughen up

jojoofu

Reaction score
Man sounds great I'm just not sure I'm strong enough to go that hardcore ive grown really soft gonna take awhile to toughen up

I actually just got back from Montana. I went marked two spots and left. I'm not ready for the cold. I have to readjust. Florida has made me thin blooded. I just stepped off the bus today and I'm back in Jacksonville , FL. I plan on heading west to slab city next. I'm broke so I won't be taking the bus. I'm either going to hitch or do some bicycle touring.

A

AlwaysLost

I actually just got back from Montana. I went marked two spots and left. I'm not ready for the cold. I have to readjust. Florida has made me thin blooded. I just stepped off the bus today and I'm back in Jacksonville , FL. I plan on heading west to slab city next. I'm broke so I won't be taking the bus. I'm either going to hitch or do some bicycle touring.

Right on. Slabs sounds like a really cool place! If I get evicted/evict myself I might head there as long as I still have some stamps to get food.

I know I don't want to be in the NW in winter in my condition and poor gear situation. I've been domesticated way to long.

Good luck man be careful!!

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Help us pay the bills!

Total amount
$20.00
Goal
$100.00

Latest Library Uploads