Looking for workers-travelers | Squat the Planet

Looking for workers-travelers

TonyCo

Reaction score
Hello,

I'm a french film maker, and I'm looking for American hobos, or worker-travelers, to make a documentary. I'm interested about people who are struggling for life, following dangerous or incredible path, doing special jobs on their way, or community who lives out of the grid. We want to follow someone, understand their difficulties and their way of survival.
By car, bike or foot, the daily life of interesting people is my passion.

If you can relate to this, or know someone who does, please contact me.

Thank you for your help, or your attention,

Kind regards,
Clément

Edit : Since a lot of you are very afraid about what we might do with your image, and it's understandable, let me explain. This is a pure documentary. We want to make a road movie with you, follow your struggle and show you as you are. We are not here to judge, make fun of you, or exploit you.
Also, if we engage talking, we might give you all the assurance you need. But understand that it is a documentary project.

The documentary is a road movie, so yes, I'm looking for nomad, people who move.
You can watch my documentary on the internet, search for "les routes de l'impossible".

But the nomadic culture is not my subject, what I'm interested in is the human, the individual. His problem will look alike the problem of other people like him, so it will be about people like him in general, but we will follow one traveler (plus the people he will meet or travel with).

Thank you

Last edited:
Reactions: justanotherperson
D

Deleted member 125

personally i see this type of project as a way to exploit and expose folks. but it has been done well. but most people who would wanna be on yer camera are gonna be pretty much what youd expect. a bunch of fucking idiots making asses outta themselves.

good luck with yer documentary.

D

deleted17310

You know some clown at the sacramento bee said he wanted to do an article on hobos, took pics of my friend, then wrote a piece called murder on the rails and the only commentary on the lifestyle came from police officers and their thoughts on us while investigating a murder. You won't find much help and those that wanna be filmed are either a. Looking to score cash. Or b. Aren't what you're looking for. People who are truly off the grid lead private lives and engaging in your project would put them very much on the grid. Not everything needs to be filmed or put on the internet. Do an article on homebums or something

Matt Derrick

Retired Wanderer
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
I would be willing but only if the film was 100 percent non profit with the film being made available to the people for free. Also my face would have to be obscured by mask of my own choosing and my voice altered to protect my ability to continue to survive in the fashion i have become accustomed to. No GPS cords of my camps in the everglades are allowed, nor are cell phones and other GPS tech allowed into my camps. If I take time off from fishing and other survival chores I expect to be fed in the same high quality that I am accustomed to. I ask for no money but demand full editorial control of how my story is spun. I will not subject myself to ridicule or allow myself to be used to make hobos and offgrid free beings look bad.

If your intent is pure and my terms acceptable feel free to contact me when you get to the southeastern usa.

Geez, thats a fucking laundry list of demands. After reading that I don't think anyone would say that's a good trade.

Also keep in mind that not everyone is a corporate media tool looking to exploit anyone and everyone for fame. This guy could be totally independent and just interested in portraying the lifestyle; if that's the case then your demands kinda made yourself look like a complete jerk and not really representative of this culture anyways.

wizehop

Chasing the Darkness
Reaction score
Hello,

I'm a french film maker, and I'm looking for American hobos, or worker-travelers, to make a documentary. I'm interested about people who are struggling for life, following dangerous or incredible path, doing special jobs on their way, or community who lives out of the grid.
By car, bike or foot, the daily life of interesting people is my passion.

If you can relate to this, or know someone who does, please contact me.

Thank you for your help, or your attention,

Kind regards,
Clément

Have you made anything, or can you maybe show us what your all about? Makes a huge difference.

DO you know Clara Savy?

wizehop

Chasing the Darkness
Reaction score
I do not know a Clara Savy..

Most of what I've made is in my past, where it will stay. I think you'll find many of the people in these forums are likewise. I haven't made any "documentary" films if that's what you're inquiring about.

? Sorry dude I was asking the person who made the original post

TonyCo

Reaction score
The documentary is a program for french tv. (Please understand that our tv is not like american tv). There is going to be cost and people to pay, so yes, we're going to make profit from it.
The purpose is to inform, highlight that there's people who struggle for their life, and to understand their difficulties, follow them through their journey. We want to travel at their side.
I'm not trying to make fun of hobos, just to show them as they are.

There is a lot of documentary but they are in french. it's called "Les routes de l'impossible" (Impossible roads in english)

TonyCo

Reaction score
I am working for Tony Comiti, a french independent studio. Our program are viewed on France Télévision.

I understand your fear, but we are not this kind of people. It's a very american way of doing things, making you sign something and then make you a slave. You will know everything there is on the paper if you agree, of course. My purpose is to make a movie about life and difficulties of hobos and all the poor people who struggle for life. What do they do? Where do they live? How the manage to live their life? It's human.

I'm only working for the director, but he has done several episodes of "Les routes de l'impossible". Usualy it's in poor country in Africa, Tanzania, Malawi, ...

Coywolf

Make America Freight Again
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
You know some clown at the sacramento bee said he wanted to do an article on hobos, took pics of my friend, then wrote a piece called murder on the rails and the only commentary on the lifestyle came from police officers and their thoughts on us while investigating a murder. You won't find much help and those that wanna be filmed are either a. Looking to score cash. Or b. Aren't what you're looking for. People who are truly off the grid lead private lives and engaging in your project would put them very much on the grid. Not everything needs to be filmed or put on the internet. Do an article on homebums or something

Dude I met that guy in RSV the other day! He seemed to be an alright guy. Bullshitted with him for a few hours.

Coywolf

Make America Freight Again
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
The documentary is a program for french tv. (Please understand that our tv is not like american tv). There is going to be cost and people to pay, so yes, we're going to make profit from it.
The purpose is to inform, highlight that there's people who struggle for their life, and to understand their difficulties, follow them through their journey. We want to travel at their side.

There is a lot of documentary but they are in french. it's called "Les routes de l'impossible" (Impossible roads in english)

When you say "struggle" and "journey in the same sentence, it makes me wonder what side of the travelinng/homeless community you are really looking to represent with film.

There are a lot of differences between nomads, homebums, vehicle dwellers, and the like.

I mean, everyone has their struggles on the road, but I guess I'm wondering if you are looking at homelessness in America, or the nomadic culture in America. The two cross paths in some areas, but can completely be separate stories of their own.

I have to agree with @dontpanic and @Sam Punter on this one. In order for someone to trust you enough to reveal their, in some cases, quasi-legal lifestyle, it would be worthwhile to provide some credentials, or at the least conduct some interviews with interested people before hand.

And @SlankyLanky is correct, there will be a whole bunch of drunk, dont-give-a-fuck idiots who will line up for a chance to be famous, and severely misrepresent the culture as a whole.

TonyCo

Reaction score
The documentary is a road movie, so yes, I'm looking for nomad, people who move.
Again, you can watch my documentary on the internet, search for "les routes de l'impossible".

But the culture is not my subject, what I'm interested in is the human, the individual. His problem will look alike the problem of other people like him, so it will be about people like him in general, but we will follow one traveler (plus the people he will meet or travel with).

They do have traveler in France. But I want to film this in America. It's a different culture. People don't act like here.

TonyCo

Reaction score
Thank you very much for your comprehension and your help!
also, these are very useful information to me.

Thank you again and good luck with your travel!

benton

Reaction score
The filmmaker could become a hobo and document that.

Otherwise you are unlikely to make a film that hasn't already been made.

Hell, the tech is so cheap and easy to use that any of us who want to be the subject of a documentary can do it ourselves.

You'd have to escrow a minimum of $100,000 for me to subject myself to such a project.

I would get the money upon completion of filming irrespective of how the film turned out.

Reactions: Welderman

marmar

Reaction score
Website
soundcloud.com

If you are going to make profit, it's just a sign of a decent personality to share it with your film subject, people you will follow around who are living on the margins of society and share with you whatever you need from them. I really hope you are a decent one.
Otherwise, good luck. Also, just a suggestion, if you travel yourself and make a movie about your own travels around USA you won't have to share your profits

marmar

Reaction score
Website
soundcloud.com
The filmmaker could become a hobo and document that.

Otherwise you are unlikely to make a film that hasn't already been made.

Hell, the tech is so cheap and easy to use that any of us who want to be the subject of a documentary can do it ourselves.

You'd have to escrow a minimum of $100,000 for me to subject myself to such a project.

I would get the money upon completion of filming irrespective of how the film turned out.
I wrote my response and then saw yours. Totally agree and glad someone thinks same way

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Help us pay the bills!

Total amount
$10.00
Goal
$100.00

Latest Library Uploads