Looking for Some Legit PpL to Homestead an Island in the Colorado River | Squat the Planet

Looking for Some Legit PpL to Homestead an Island in the Colorado River

Reaction score
Swilly kids, oogles, Drainbows, homebums, Scum Fucks need not respond. Land non-deeded. Some improvements and shacks empty. Hard work, fresh air and 400 acres of anarcho-farming.... hit me up ask questions. Making a move by May. Intentional community run by consensus. If youve stayed at the collective in GJ on the mid-line we already know each other.

Reactions: dprogram

Sauv89

Reaction score
That sounds legit, I want some info on it, I've been planning that but in the Sierra Madre Sur JJ Mexico since it's remote, fertile and largely untouched . I want to begin a colony, keep goats for meat, mohair,& milk, rabbits for pelts,food,and some poultry.

Reaction score
This is in Western Colorado. The island is about 400 acres. Last spring was a 100 year flood and most of the island stayed dry. It is non-deeded land. the sheriff calls it no mans land. There are lots of wildlife on the island and lots of usable junk left from old homebum camps. Its 1 mile walk from town and most of the year it is possible to cross the river w/o a boat. Its large enough to make little hobbit homes for everyone.

Shadowmarque

Reaction score
I would like to come check it out. Is there a way (road) off and on the island by automobile? Would it be alright to come and help construction and garden-tending for a while as a hand even if I didn't plan on staying in a permanent way? I think it would be a good thing to build some social network while helping the community your'e trying to develop.

Reactions: dprogram

Sauv89

Reaction score
Oh so we can't be barged in on and kicked out ? How do you PM? I have some reasons as to why I wanna do it but can't wait till may

Reaction score
U can park right at the crossing. Once we get a core of 4 or 5 ppl we will open it up to folks just traveling through. Its right next to the UP yard so could be a good place to build and anarcho village.

K

Kim Chee

Oh yeah! Gonna be a cold sumbitch for the yearrounders! I'd like to do a little research before committing. Near a UP yard? Sounds tasty.

Reaction score
Its not horrible. Plenty of wood to burn. but you'd better have your house built before winter. Crossed out there a couple of weeks ago. Water was cold. Its sunny even when its cold.

K

Kim Chee

Is it at 4559' elevation? If so, I just saw it on google earth. There's a few islands out there of similar size, but yeah you can see the shacks (and the tracks).
Any idea how deep the water is in the winter? Is it going to take rubber boots or an aluminum boat?

Nemo

Reaction score
What is non-deeded land?

Reaction score
no deeper then a foot at the main cross. I just use two pairs of shoes and keep one dry. Some serious work was done this summer cleaning up old hobo camps that were foul and picking out good stuff. spring well need a boat or ropeline both do-able. In summer tubing is huge we could have a PBR stand. Colorado is a Medical State too. There are supplies to make three or more houses already out there. Non-deed land is a legal black hole. I learned about it working on the homeless issue in the area and we have been able to prevent evictions cause there are lots of undeeded land along the river. It is not private property and no government claims jurisdiction. It has been squatted with structures for 20 yrs but has been empty for 2 yrs. City claims BLM has jurisdiction. BLM maps do not claim it. If one goes to the assesors website there are three little pieces of the island that are private owned, but unused and un fenced. 100ft on either side of the trussel is UP land. Two of the Farms on the south side have little wedges of land on the island that they own. It is not private property and cannot be claimed under adverse possession cause it needs to be possessed by some entity first. Anyone know homesteading laws? Either way its impossible to evict. And hard to evict if legally possible. Lets think about a work week camp before spring run-off. Like Last week in March?

Reactions: Psi em and dprogram

happyearthhomes

Reaction score
Website
groups.yahoo.com
That sounds like it could be pretty cool. My wife and I are leaving East Jesus [slabcity] in March and heading up to Wyoming could swing by their and help out but we are in a small rv. can we get it to the island? I am a general construction wiz and have been working on the East Jesus squat since October I have all the tools needed to build housing and a generator to supply power to run my bigger tools and give us lighting

Eadoin

Reaction score
this sounds amazing. depending on where/when i head out next i would love to come help out. im kinda trying to get a job for a bit. but who knows.

deanmoriarty

Reaction score
sounds fantastic.cant goto colorado state....but id be there if i could.good luck!

F

Firefly

If this is legit id be down to help however I could. Heading west with no one spot in mind. I have been interested in homesteading, but didn't know where to start

Teko

rooted
StP Supporter
Reaction score
i would love to be kept up to date on this. this sounds amazing.

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Help us pay the bills!

Total amount
$20.00
Goal
$100.00

Latest Library Uploads