looking for a yard to park my van and a house to use (1 Viewer)

Current Location
oakland california
ive been thinking about getting a bus and then i realized i dont even have a *safe* place to park it.

im pretty settled in oakland a bike ride away from everything i would ever need and i wanna keep it that way and not pay 900 a month for rent, i would be down to pitch some money towards the house. seems no one im close to has a yard i could park in.

ive tried posting an ad on craigslist and on the bay area housing page on facebook
i suppose i could reach out to a lot of skaters i know?

any ideas on finding a -secure- place to park?

We sell all kinds of other stuff in our Etsy store!

Mrcharwe

Current Location
Ogden, UT
Honestly, I don't think most people want to let you stay in their drive way and use their house unless you are paying the same amount as a roommate.

Try looking for paid parking lots that you rent a spot long term. Just talk to the owners and maybe one will be cool with you living in the parking lot if you pay and help to keep it clean. Then you just have to get a cheap gym membership for a shower.

BirdDaddy

Born Wild
StP Supporter
Current Location
Fairfield Idaho.
The problem you're going to have an Oakland I'm assuming you're in California is that registering a vehicle in order for it to be parked in California may need you to convert it before you can register it as a civilian vehicle look into your laws hardcore man California is a Stifler and they will impound your bus van car lickety-split they have laws about RVs and buses and vans to be parked in driveways and things if they're visible they have to be registered if they're on the street they have to be registered they cannot be an eyesore a lot of places in California you cannot do work on your vehicle in view of public California has some of the most strict bus conversion laws I've ever seen as well.

OP
youngbuckwithapickuptruck
Current Location
oakland california
how would i approach buisness owners about me being their security guarD? i would imagine they would want somone the know and trust, not me some stranger

any other sites yall could recommend me to to help me look/seek this kind of space?

BirdDaddy

Born Wild
StP Supporter
Current Location
Fairfield Idaho.
As far as cheap or free places to park a bus or vehicle I would recommend boondocking and you can find a whole bunch of useful pages on Facebook look up bus conversion Pages boondocking Pages RV Pages RV boondocking pages there's whole slew everywhere online www. Skoolie.org or somthing is a conversion website has all sorts of resources

BirdDaddy

Born Wild
StP Supporter
Current Location
Fairfield Idaho.
how would i approach buisness owners about me being their security guarD? i would imagine they would want somone the know and trust, not me some stranger

any other sites yall could recommend me to to help me look/seek this kind of space?
I would have the money for a background check a clean record registered and insured Vehicle drivers license and be able to pass UA on demand and offer to do so. I would have some sort of security business plan so to speak of. So that it sounds like you know what you're doing... something kind of like you let me park on your property I'll watch it at night in trade for a lot to rent. Because honestly having you there is good security but the space you take up may not be worth your services so offering rent as well would be useful and having a day job so you're not there during business hours... try Auto Parts Salvage Yards my brother-in-law owns one and he is always letting people live in broke down campers or there own rigs in trade for labor in the yard and around his property.

BirdDaddy

Born Wild
StP Supporter
Current Location
Fairfield Idaho.
my number 1&2 goal is a secure place to leave my stuff unattended while still being a short bike ride distance from the conviences of modern city living
3&4 are cheap rent and cool roommates
Yeah, your asking alot. Cheap rent and modern convenience for your bus in which you I'm sure plan to convert while on said property might be tough. But I would recommend looking at indoor Industrial storage spaces big enough for your bus belongings and one that has power. In my experience alot of RV parks wont allow you, its legal to live in a conversion or RV or even a vehicle in some counties, states or HOAs otherloans convert a bus in the open.... Rural farm areas are best; ie a ranch or a farm who could use a hand... but you want a bus and convenience.... you are asking for an almost impossible scene; without paying good price for it you wont find your convenience, especially with a bus. And I'm in Idaho whare ppl are nice and laws are leaniant and the counties dont harras for a mess too much. Inner city's can be a nightmare. Do alot of research b4 getting your bus man. I have heard horror stories of people getting towed and impounded their entire home belongings everything bro that's a hefty tag to tow a bus and a pretty hefty storage fee too. Www.skoolie.net is a school bus conversion site. Ask them.

Last edited:
OP
Current Location
oakland california
i have the money for a bus and conversion.
i know of a self contained sprinter renting a front yard parking spot for $450
and a craigslist ad had mentioned a van dweller already living in one of their yards so i know it is not impossible, both in north oakland near san pablo ave.

and i also know of some compounds in west oakland where its a bunch of tents and busted rv's on someone's private lot but those are all drug infested and my belongings would not be secure.

back when me and my roommates had a big house with a big lot with no rent, we always joked about letting friends move into the backyard but no one ever took us up on that offer

BirdDaddy

Born Wild
StP Supporter
Current Location
Fairfield Idaho.
I totally get it man I'm a bus owner myself and it's nice not having the rent and I own my own home but it is a bus and it's kind of a pain in the ass sometimes.

fimbulvetr

Current Location
Bridgeport, CA
Website
guthub.com
If you want the convenience of modern life and you want to live in a van or bus or whatever, I don't think Oakland is the best place. I think most cities have laws against sleeping in your vehicle, many are implementing laws prohibiting RV's parked on the street for more than a few hours. Now some places enforce more than others. I think if you are dead set on Oakland, stealth is your only friend, unless you know people with lawns, which are few and far between in the bay area. I find that people in Oakland forget that Alameda exists. There are more lawns there, but if you get say a step van and paint it like a food truck, keep it vague though, nothing specific, then you can probably park near the food truck kitchen on the base, or you could go the route of making it look like a plumbing vehicle, which has the benefit of legitimizing having crap on the top of your vehicle. wrap solar panels in PVC on the edge to disguise them, make a water tank out of PVC, throw a ladder up there for good measure and again, pick a warehousey area to park. All of these things require that you are not obvious about living in your vehicle and sometimes you may have to park in those west Oakland neighborhoods your not so fond of. I would say drivee to a spot late at night and leave early if you hang around neighborhoods. If you don't care for that, maybe keep renting the spot you've got. that's not bad by bay area standards. living openly and legitimately in your van in the bay area, is not gonna happen. I do know of a spot in SF proper, where they may be willing to help you out, but it's out in bayview away from any transit lines and lots of vehicle break-ins that way, so it's probably not what you want, though maybe you could work on it there. If you DM, I can put you in touch with somebody. Also there are still lots of people living in vehicles out in the sunset in SF, but neighborhood etiquette applies. you could probably work on it by the beach sometimes during the day though.

OP
Current Location
oakland california
fuck, ive been day dreaming all morning about living in a junkyard
scrap metal carparts gardenbeds

im hoping that with the housing crisis and homeless RV crisis, the city is looking to turn a blind eye at a car parked in a driveway, its fucking oakland for fucks sake, the wild town. i mean as long as i dont settle up in piedmont and start pissing off the nieghbors i should be alright.

I have quite a number of friends doing fine un-stealthily sidewalk van dwelling in oakland. but they have partners and dogs watching their stuff

and i have acces to an RV that is parked on the street and has been there for months in front of the skatepark, but i want a secure dwelling OFF the streets. the rv does come with two dogs tho...

!!!

OH!
i just remembered i was talking to a guy last night that used to run a low rent warehouse and now that the city kickd everyone out he has to watch the building to keep it from getting ripped up for scrap and would be down to have me move into the lot, wooo wooooo

Last edited:

fimbulvetr

Current Location
Bridgeport, CA
Website
guthub.com
fuck, ive been day dreaming all morning about living in a junkyard
scrap metal carparts gardenbeds

im hoping that with the housing crisis and homeless RV crisis, the city is looking to turn a blind eye at a car parked in a driveway, its fucking oakland for fucks sake, the wild town. i mean as long as i dont settle up in piedmont and start pissing off the nieghbors i should be alright.

I have quite a number of friends doing fine un-stealthily van dwelling in oakland. but they have partners and dogs watching their stuff

and i have acces to an RV that is parked on the street and has been there for months in front of the skatepark, but i want a secure dwelling OFF the streets. the rv does come with two dogs tho...

!!!

OH!
i just remembered i was talking to a guy last night that used to run a low rent warehouse and now that the city kickd everyone out he has to watch the building to keep it from getting ripped up for scrap and would be down to have me move into the lot, wooo wooooo
I thinking is you'll probably be fine doing that... until you aren't. don't underestimate the amount of trouble one "concerned citizen," can cause you in a place that has laws specifically to relocate transient people. Oakland, as all cities in the bay area consider transient people a nuisance and I would expect to occasionally be treated as such.

A lot of people here have offered a lot of good advice, but if you are already dead set on doing things a certain way, there isn't much any of us can really offer in the way of experience or ideas if we haven't specifically done a certain thing. I think if the city doesn't want people in that warehouse, I would expect that at some point they will ask you to leave nicely or otherwise. That may not happen, some people get much luckier than others. Most of us who have things we care about in our mobile dwellings, learn not to take unnecessary risks pretty quickly. those risks can take a lot of forms. I would want a backup plan, because what are you going to do with all your stuff and your two new dogs when the city gives you the boot?

All I can do is wish you luck.

OP
Current Location
oakland california
"I would want a backup plan, because what are you going to do with all your stuff and NO DOGS when the city gives you the boot? "
im definitely here for the brainstorming
but yeah i initially wanted step 1. to buy a bus room
then step 1. became find a place to securely park it
now step1. is backup plan of where to take i when i get the boot
-parents side yard-

Faceplant

Mmmm . . . Taste the Ballast!
StP Supporter
Current Location
Boulder Creek Ca
I think your first step ought to be to secure a place for a bus. Then, buy a completed, or nearly completed bus.

Are you working? Gonna be working on your bus after- hours? Likely to be some pissed off people.

Also, most people know what’s up and are going to want to maximize their earning potential on available space they may have. Are you guaranteeing you’ll be guarding their place when they want you to? No offense, but I would get something in writing, which is gonna be impossible and a non-starter. You may luck into just the right situation, but I doubt it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Support StP!

Donations go towards paying our monthly server fees, adding new features to the website, and occasionally putting a burrito in Matt's mouth.

Total amount
$40.00
Goal
$100.00

Monthly Goals

1. Paying the Bills
    $40.00 of $50.00
    The first $50 in donations go towards paying our monthly server fees and adding new features to the website. Once this goal is reached, we'll see about feeding Matt that burrito.
  2. Buy Matt a Beer
    $40.00 of $75.00
    Now that we have the bills paid for this month, let's give Matt a hearty thank you by buying him a drink for all the hard work he's done for StP. Hopefully his will help keep him from going insane after a long day of squishing website bugs.
  3. Feed Matt a Burrito
    $40.00 of $100.00
    Now that the bills are paid and Matt has a beer in his hand, how about showing him your love by rewarding all his hard work with a big fat burrito to put in his mouth. This will keep him alive while programming new features for the website.
  4. Finance the Shopping Cart
    $40.00 of $200.00
    Now that the bills are paid and Matt is fed, perhaps it's time to start planning for those twilight years under the bridge... if only he had that golden shopping cart all the oogles are bragging about these days.

Latest Status Updates

jamie summers wrote on nastynaty's profile.
too bad about clovis...i rode through recently without stopping in the yard luckily...where did you get pulled off now
?did you end up on a train for dallas?
Update on my luck: wrong train, cops pulled a gun on me, im off the transcon, and i have one day to get to chicago.
Blessed is the match consumed in kindling flame.
Blessed is the flame that burns
in the secret fastness of the heart.

Blessed is the heart with strength to stop its beating for honor’s sake.
Blessed is the match consumed in kindling flame.

-Hannah Senesh

Rest in power, Will.
I got my first trespass in over five years of riding, but the bull in clovis was doing that thing were he scans the cars from a ladder and my bike had the back wheel off so i couldnt run. I caught the next train after he let me go.
The amarillo northyard hopout is trashed, can yall clean up after yourself. No wonder they put up all these new fences here.
just now saw yet another article of people talking photos of themselves and falling into a waterfall and being pummeled into drowning - why people why - i recall when i first heard something like this out at Silver Falls eas of Corvallis, I think it was 2012 or 2013, but it never ceases to amaze me that it happens so much all over the world
Hitched into Quebec City, got a free wristband to a music festival with The Offspring and Blink-182 playing!! Good times, now off to Charny, back on the rails!
'All I know is that I dont know nothin'
Fillmore, California... California is the ultimate shithole..!!!

Members online