Longboard Tour! (1 Viewer)

A

Androgynightmare

I deleted myself
Hai!

I'm gonna be catching out for a national longboard solo tour of the South/South-West in late February.

Anyone have any experience or suggestions?

My plan is to use Rails-To-Trails and whatnot where possible, and roads the rest of the way.
I'll be regularly stopping in towns every few days to spange & gather food.
I plan to only hitch when nessicary.
My pack will be relatively light, so not a huge weight issue.

I'd love to hear any recommendations you've got!

Thanks!

Click here to buy the Anarchist's Guide to Travel!
OP
A

Androgynightmare

I deleted myself
Unrelated, how long have you been long boarding? I've seen some of those boards go pretty freaking far with little effort so it seems like a good way to go cross country.
I've been skating for a couple years.
I average 20+ miles a day just out of boredom, so crossing the country would be more of a lifestyle change than a distance change.

OP
A

Androgynightmare

I deleted myself
Out of curiosity, what's your gear list like? And what board you taking with you?
Just basic shit. Honestly.
"Bare necessities" and whatnot.
I've got one of the Longboards by Penny Board. Nothing to brag about, but I would actually trust it to the ends of the earth.

CelticWanderer

Pilgrim
Hometown
Augusta GA, USA
Be sure to practice stand up slides and shutdown slides with your pack on. It can save your ass from having to bail with a pack on. If you can I'd go for a drop down deck. It'll save yer legs. And look into the YouTube series long treks on skate decks for getting you stoked as fuck about yer journey :D

Kal

Pilgrim
Hometown
Everywhere
Be sure to practice stand up slides and shutdown slides with your pack on. It can save your ass from having to bail with a pack on. If you can I'd go for a drop down deck. It'll save yer legs. And look into the YouTube series long treks on skate decks for getting you stoked as fuck about yer journey :D
Awesome!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Aurum

Hometown
Sacramento, California
Just basic shit. Honestly.
"Bare necessities" and whatnot.
I've got one of the Longboards by Penny Board. Nothing to brag about, but I would actually trust it to the ends of the earth.
If I'm to be honest. A penny board is NOT the board I'd take on a trip like what you've described, and personally i dont think it qualifies as a long board, You'll find when your pack's fully loaded, that small of a wheel base/deck to be precarious. Further, penny boards are a bit flashy, and people that don't skate might see it as a sign you have other valuable shit in your pack.

I'd advise you take some very large/durable wheels, and like 3 sets of bones reds, an entirely METAL skatekey, some decent generic trucks, and get as cheap a deck as possible, maybe marr up the bottom decal, and slap a little dust on the grip so it looks like an old board. Oh, and trash bags to cover your board when walking/camping in a wet or very damp area, nobody likes carying a deck that's waterlogged.
Maybe check out your local shops, see if they have any dropthru or drop down decks setup in store and just stand on it with your pack loaded and feel the difference in stability, penny boards are small & plastic so keeping it in your pack might be nice if you have a large pack/free space for when it's wet outside, but trust me you will want a full sized long board, or even like an old school shaped pool board for doing some real long distance travel.

Also, you'll really want some nice slide gloves, even if you don't slide often. I've been training the last 6 months or so for a long trek with my board, and being able to fall/slide on my hands when I bail with my pack loaded up, and not mangle my palms has been so nice.

CelticWanderer

Pilgrim
Hometown
Augusta GA, USA
For cheap boards check out kracked skulls. I used the drop through mounted deck to get across the panhandle of Florida and it didn't fail on me till it got run over

OP
A

Androgynightmare

I deleted myself
If I'm to be honest. A penny board is NOT the board I'd take on a trip like what you've described, and personally i dont think it qualifies as a long board, You'll find when your pack's fully loaded, that small of a wheel base/deck to be precarious. Further, penny boards are a bit flashy, and people that don't skate might see it as a sign you have other valuable shit in your pack.

I'd advise you take some very large/durable wheels, and like 3 sets of bones reds, an entirely METAL skatekey, some decent generic trucks, and get as cheap a deck as possible, maybe marr up the bottom decal, and slap a little dust on the grip so it looks like an old board. Oh, and trash bags to cover your board when walking/camping in a wet or very damp area, nobody likes carying a deck that's waterlogged.
Maybe check out your local shops, see if they have any dropthru or drop down decks setup in store and just stand on it with your pack loaded and feel the difference in stability, penny boards are small & plastic so keeping it in your pack might be nice if you have a large pack/free space for when it's wet outside, but trust me you will want a full sized long board, or even like an old school shaped pool board for doing some real long distance travel.

Also, you'll really want some nice slide gloves, even if you don't slide often. I've been training the last 6 months or so for a long trek with my board, and being able to fall/slide on my hands when I bail with my pack loaded up, and not mangle my palms has been so nice.
You do know Penny does make longboards, right?
Like, I wouldn't take a little penny board anywhere. Let alone long distance.

Honestly it's pretty much the same geer you just described but with a different deck.

I'll look into the gloves though.

Eriku

Lurker
Hometown
Issaquah
Definitely get a dropped board for long distance, and learn to use both legs to push!

OP
A

Androgynightmare

I deleted myself
I completely gave up. Not even gonna lie.

I started in Miami and by the time I got to Fort Pierce FL I was so burnt out and disenfranchised I decided to fuck off and just do the usual dirty kid thing.

OP
A

Androgynightmare

I deleted myself
Longboarding across the country doesn't work unless you have a good cushion of money or all the time in the world.
Cause you need to eat way more than usual, a lot of the small towns you pass through aint shit for spanging, and it's also really physically taxing.

Drengor

Pilgrim
Hometown
Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
Sorry to here that bud! I bring my longboard with me when I hitchhike - better than walking around big towns. I'd never imagine using it to get from town to town though, thats just nuts to me! Try a bike next time? Definitely less effort/distance.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Support StP!

Donations go towards paying our monthly server fees, adding new features to the website, and occasionally putting a burrito in Matt's mouth.

Total amount
$100.00
Goal
$100.00

Monthly Goals

1. Paying the Bills
    $50.00 of $50.00 - reached!
    The first $50 in donations go towards paying our monthly server fees and adding new features to the website. Once this goal is reached, we'll see about feeding Matt that burrito.
  2. Buy Matt a Beer
    $75.00 of $75.00 - reached!
    Now that we have the bills paid for this month, let's give Matt a hearty thank you by buying him a drink for all the hard work he's done for StP. Hopefully his will help keep him from going insane after a long day of squishing website bugs.
  3. Feed Matt a Burrito
    $100.00 of $100.00 - reached!
    Now that the bills are paid and Matt has a beer in his hand, how about showing him your love by rewarding all his hard work with a big fat burrito to put in his mouth. This will keep him alive while programming new features for the website.
  4. Finance the Shopping Cart
    $100.00 of $200.00
    Now that the bills are paid and Matt is fed, perhaps it's time to start planning for those twilight years under the bridge... if only he had that golden shopping cart all the oogles are bragging about these days.

Latest Status Updates

Favorite thing to do during an apocalypse??
First track of one of a solid album.
This shit is getting real, under self isolation - no, it's self quarantine now - thanks to some jerk who came to the Plant knowingly sick.
He has judged himself, as for me... my locker has been emptied because I am not putting up with that bullshit.
Looks like I just decided to take an early retirement, so on to greener pastures I go......
Be safe out there, perhaps we'll meet again when times are better.
I hope that y'all are good and safe wherever you may happen to be. Take care of yourselves, may the wind always be at your back <3
When Democrat and Republican politicians argue and fuck up so badly we end up taking 1st place in Plague Inc irl:

So, here's something great! After finally saying NO to eating carbs and sugar this morning (since that's mostly all there is to eat at home) and instead bought and ate vegetables, I actually don't have cravings anymore!

All I've eaten today is two sweet potatoes and some broccoli, and I don't have any food cravings, and I'm not lethargic!
Matt Derrick wrote on snailormoon's profile.
aww i really like your new profile picture.
Beautiful day to be alive and listen to the birds chirp, remembering to be grateful for what we have and not worry about what we have not.
Healthy in PDX. Back here after years to keep track of those bugging out and to check in on those still on the road.

Members online