Being raised in the South | Squat the Planet

Being raised in the South

• Thread starter Deleted member 11443
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 11443

I was creeping around the internet one evening and came across a picture of some punk kids in oregon burning a confederate flag....and I got a little offended. This was weird to me, considering how artsy and liberal I am. I'm from north central florida, small town. I went to a high school where we had cows on campus, and angus bulls for sale. My best friend growing up, her dad would take us to tractor shows and take us out to breakfast at places where only old white people go to after church. I'm not a redneck, I'm actually pretty hippy dippy, but being raised down here, is sure as hell different than being raised in the north west. I can't even begin to imagine how different I would be. I grew up with the confederate flag hanging in my dad's front yard, along with the american and florida flag. Most of my friends have one flying in their yards, it's been a major part of my life for so long. Despite the hate associated to the flag, I feel I've have adopted the flag as a symbol of heritage, a symbol of doing what you want and getting it done, a way of southern life that people elsewhere wouldnt get. i cant believe im taking this stance on the subject honestly hahaha
but, for the folks also raised in the south, do you feel we do it a little differently than the rest of the states?

Reactions: angerisagift

Tude

Sometimes traveler is traveling.
Reaction score
This flag thing has become rather ridiculous, in my thoughts. I grew up in a very small town (LOL one gas station, one small town store, one small grocery store), lived in swamps and fields as a kid (and loved it) in upstate NY. It was awesome. Not so much as a teenager however as I hitched all over the place to get away and have fun ;). But as to the flag - flags or - flags - get over it. There are many flags, not just one.

D

Deleted member 11443

This flag thing has become rather ridiculous, in my thoughts. I grew up in a very small town (LOL one gas station, one small town store, one small grocery store), lived in swamps and fields as a kid (and loved it) in upstate NY. It was awesome. Not so much as a teenager however as I hitched all over the place to get away and have fun ;). But as to the flag - flags or - flags - get over it. There are many flags, not just one.
I do agree that it's silly. I didnt think id be as effected as i was, but you are right!

Tude

Sometimes traveler is traveling.
Reaction score
I have to update myself though as to the men and women who served in the military for the US - that the stars and stripes were and are their symbol. :) And I know many. But really why destroy legend and legacy because of stupid.

P

pigpen

I was creeping around the internet one evening and came across a picture of some punk kids in oregon burning a confederate flag....and I got a little offended. This was weird to me, considering how artsy and liberal I am. I'm from north central florida, small town. I went to a high school where we had cows on campus, and angus bulls for sale. My best friend growing up, her dad would take us to tractor shows and take us out to breakfast at places where only old white people go to after church. I'm not a redneck, I'm actually pretty hippy dippy, but being raised down here, is sure as hell different than being raised in the north west. I can't even begin to imagine how different I would be. I grew up with the confederate flag hanging in my dad's front yard, along with the american and florida flag. Most of my friends have one flying in their yards, it's been a major part of my life for so long. Despite the hate associated to the flag, I feel I've have adopted the flag as a symbol of heritage, a symbol of doing what you want and getting it done, a way of southern life that people elsewhere wouldnt get. i cant believe im taking this stance on the subject honestly hahaha
but, for the folks also raised in the south, do you feel we do it a little differently than the rest of the states?

I was born in volusia county and lived in northern Florida for 15 years, I've been to 47 states and I now live in Oregon.

Oregon is the northern most confederate state. If anyone north of the mason Dixon knows about the southern way of life it's the people here. I've burned confederate flags before, I've burned all kinds of flags, but I would still rather live in the south than anywhere else. A lot of people associate the flag with a war fought because the union wanted to free all the slaves, when really the war was about the union wanting the south to become more federalized and start paying taxes on each individual slave. It's actually way more complicated than that even.

Those flags we grew up seeing everywhere were most likely made in China.

Fuck a flag.

Art101

Reaction score
I have a great and a few more great grandfather that fought and died at Devils Den at Gettysburgh.He was a member of the 4th Alabama rifles.So that flag has some familial ties for me.I think this whole flag issue is a ruse to keep us from looking at deeper issues.

Mankini

I'm a d-bag and got banned.
Banned
Reaction score
Flags are a badge of collective identity we brand ourselves with. Why should we advertise to others what our affiliations are? What are the costs/benefits of assuming and promulgating a collective identity in the first place?

Reactions: wokofshame

Kal

Reaction score
Maybe what we need is a flag showing our planet. I hope one day to see world peace. Just remember we are not the same but we are one because we are human.

angerisagift

Reaction score
I was born in volusia county and lived in northern Florida for 15 years, I've been to 47 states and I now live in Oregon.

Oregon is the northern most confederate state. If anyone north of the mason Dixon knows about the southern way of life it's the people here. I've burned confederate flags before, I've burned all kinds of flags, but I would still rather live in the south than anywhere else. A lot of people associate the flag with a war fought because the union wanted to free all the slaves, when really the war was about the union wanting the south to become more federalized and start paying taxes on each individual slave. It's actually way more complicated than that even.

Those flags we grew up seeing everywhere were most likely made in China.

Fuck a flag.
SWEEEEEEEEEET!!!!!! ilived in Brevard county 4 a long time. where in Volusia?? Oak Hill??? Ormond Beach?

Reactions: Andrea Van Scoyoc

Odin

ANTISOLIPSIST
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Flags are a badge of collective identity we brand ourselves with. Why should we advertise to others what our affiliations are? What are the costs/benefits of assuming and promulgating a collective identity in the first place?

Flags are instruments of indoctrination.
They are tools used by the bourgeois against those members outside they're circle of entitlement... in order to radicalize an other wise peaceful civic minded population*in order to create a malleable public opinion and maintain they're economic superiority.

*(in the sense that all original nomadic tribes operated on mutual sustainability and gift economy with whole sale warfare and economic disparity being a rarity)

Or something.

::drinkingbuddy::

Last edited:
Reactions: Mankini
P

pigpen

you're a stupid mother fuckers, i'm from mississippi and i don't give a fuck about that flag. you love to hate the gov but you draw more in subsidized welfare, so shut the fuck up, you troll.

Que? The fuck are you talking about?

Damn right ima take free money, there ain't no shame in my game.

Last edited:

Andrea Van Scoyoc

Nomad Missionary & Tree Hugging Jesus Freak
Reaction score
I too, lost many ancestors and had many more who made it through the War Between the States.

While I'm all for Southern Pride, it's hard to try and educate people on the real history of the war and the flag's origin, when the most visible of those showcasing the flag, do so while in the commission of sadistic, stupid and hate based crimes.

Reactions: Art101

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Help us pay the bills!

Total amount
$10.00
Goal
$100.00

Latest Library Uploads