Long Beach, CA | Squat the Planet

Long Beach, CA

TacoBob

Reaction score
Hello everyone my name is Robert. I've been here looking through the threads for advice and stories. I have recently been going through some troubles and not making much money. I lost a great job and home in February. I have been staying with my parents ever since. I feel it's time for me to leave or the depression will get the best of me. I was looking in to train hopping as it's always been something I wanted to do. I came from a small California town where a lot of kids would train hop for fun. Can anyone help me out with which train cars are safest and where to set myself on them? Long Beach is a huge hub for imports and exports so there are many routes to take.

TacoBob

Reaction score
I'm thinking of trying my luck at hopping for a week. I know I can come back here but my step dad hates me and I feel like I've let my family down more and more over the last year. I need to find a good place to catch out and maybe some good people. Thanks spider.

Dameon

Reaction score
You don't want to hop out of Long Beach in general, and especially with no idea what you're doing. Go hitch around for a bit. If you want to do trains, they're always around and eventually somebody who can show you how to not die or get arrested will volunteer.

Reactions: TacoBob

Hobo Mud

Reaction score
My advice, be patient, observe and learn, if possible take your time and find someone to show you the ropes, someone who is seasoned at doing this. Train hopping is not for everyone and it takes a lot of trial and error and most importantly be " patient "...

Make sure to be kind and respectful to other hobos and riders. Treat people the way you want to be treated. Train hopping is more than just hopping a train, some people don't seem to understand this concept.

I wish you nothing but the best of luck in your journey and I certainly welcome you to the site.... Keep on keeping on brother and safe travels.

Reactions: Tude and TacoBob

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Help us pay the bills!

Total amount
$10.00
Goal
$100.00

Latest Library Uploads