News & Blogs Lofoten by Campervan: Watching the Northern Lights on Haukland Beach

Matt Derrick

Nomadologist
Staff member
Admin
Current Location
Walla Walla, WA
Website
youtube.com
Lofoten by Campervan: Watching the Northern Lights on Haukland Beach
NOVEMBER 28, 2018 BY MIKE

I glanced out the van window and noticed a faint green coloured mist in the sky.
So I took a walk with my camera and came back 3 hours later with these photos…
In this post I’ll share with you my first experience with the Northern Lights. And I’ll show you a good place to watch them in the Lofoten Islands – as well as where to park your van, of course.

We were camping on a beach in the Lofoten Islands, Norway

The beach is Haukland Beach on the north side of the islands: Google map link

northern-lights-aurora-lofoten-by-campervan-haukland-beach-10-700x467-jpg.47594_Lofoten by Campervan: Watching the Northern Lights on Haukland Beach_Van Dwelling / Rubber Tramping_Squat the Planet_3:02 PM

8:30pm: there was a faint green glow in the sky, from behind the mountain

northern-lights-aurora-lofoten-by-campervan-haukland-beach-1-700x467-jpg.47595_Lofoten by Campervan: Watching the Northern Lights on Haukland Beach_Van Dwelling / Rubber Tramping_Squat the Planet_3:02 PM

8:32pm: I ran down to the beach with my camera

northern-lights-aurora-lofoten-by-campervan-haukland-beach-faint-700x468-jpg.47596_Lofoten by Campervan: Watching the Northern Lights on Haukland Beach_Van Dwelling / Rubber Tramping_Squat the Planet_3:02 PM

9:30pm: Now I’m certain this is the Aurora Borealis

northern-lights-aurora-lofoten-by-campervan-haukland-beach-8-700x468-jpg.47597_Lofoten by Campervan: Watching the Northern Lights on Haukland Beach_Van Dwelling / Rubber Tramping_Squat the Planet_3:02 PM

10:30pm: I stood on the beach and experienced this totally new kind of night sky

northern-lights-aurora-lofoten-by-campervan-haukland-beach-7-700x468-jpg.47598_Lofoten by Campervan: Watching the Northern Lights on Haukland Beach_Van Dwelling / Rubber Tramping_Squat the Planet_3:02 PM

11pm: The green glow reflected on water as it got stronger and stronger

northern-lights-aurora-lofoten-by-campervan-haukland-beach-6-700x467-jpg.47599_Lofoten by Campervan: Watching the Northern Lights on Haukland Beach_Van Dwelling / Rubber Tramping_Squat the Planet_3:02 PM

Before reducing to a focused beam in a matter of minutes

northern-lights-aurora-lofoten-by-campervan-haukland-beach-5-700x467-jpg.47600_Lofoten by Campervan: Watching the Northern Lights on Haukland Beach_Van Dwelling / Rubber Tramping_Squat the Planet_3:02 PM

12am: And then it reappeared behind me, showering over the mountain peaks

northern-lights-aurora-lofoten-by-campervan-haukland-beach-2-700x468-jpg.47601_Lofoten by Campervan: Watching the Northern Lights on Haukland Beach_Van Dwelling / Rubber Tramping_Squat the Planet_3:02 PM

12:30am: You might have heard me going ‘woahhhhh’

northern-lights-aurora-lofoten-by-campervan-haukland-beach-4-700x468-jpg.47602_Lofoten by Campervan: Watching the Northern Lights on Haukland Beach_Van Dwelling / Rubber Tramping_Squat the Planet_3:02 PM

Here’s a short time lapse

This is 12 shots each having a 10 second exposure – total of 2 minutes
aurora-gif.47603_Lofoten by Campervan: Watching the Northern Lights on Haukland Beach_Van Dwelling / Rubber Tramping_Squat the Planet_3:02 PM

Back at the van the clouds were coming over quickly, defusing the alien-green light over the landscape

northern-lights-aurora-lofoten-by-campervan-haukland-beach-3-700x467-jpg.47604_Lofoten by Campervan: Watching the Northern Lights on Haukland Beach_Van Dwelling / Rubber Tramping_Squat the Planet_3:02 PM

The van-neighbours must have slept through the whole thing

northern-lights-aurora-lofoten-by-campervan-haukland-beach-9-700x467-jpg.47605_Lofoten by Campervan: Watching the Northern Lights on Haukland Beach_Van Dwelling / Rubber Tramping_Squat the Planet_3:02 PM

This is probably one of the coolest things I’ve seen/experienced.

After this night we spent the next week chasing the Northern Lights around the Lofoten Islands.

I might do a couple more posts about the Aurora – how to find it and how to photograph it – if you’re interested?

https://vandogtraveller.com/lofoten-by-campervan-northern-lights-aurora/

Last edited:

Koala

sleeps 22 hours a day, eats chutes and leaves
Current Location
Thailand
WHOAAAAAA so cool.

I want to check this out someday. Also may try to catch the Southern lights in Tasmania this winter!

Reactions: Matt Derrick

Oddy

Rambler
Current Location
Somewhere
Damn, I'm living in my van in the UK and I've never been there. Stunning, I will have to go one day, unless of course Brexit actually causes the UK to implode!

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 person