lockpicking tips | Squat the Planet

lockpicking tips

C

Cush

i've been trying to teach myself to pick locks recently but i've been having a lot of trouble with it. I don't know if it's the fact that i'm using all home made picks and wrenches and things like that or if i'm just really bad at it. I can normally get the closest pin up but after that i have a problem getting the ones that are farther back open. can anyone give me any helpful tips?

Spinelli

Reaction score
If you can, buy a cheap set. I got mine of of brassknucklecompanys site( I dont remember the url sorry). But if yer homemade set has an S shaped pick there is an easy way for some simpler locks( I've done this on Masterlocks too so...). Put the tension wrench in and then the S pick, turn the wrench then use the pick to set the last pin, then angle the pick either up or down and slide it out,sometimes you will get all but the front pin in which case just pick it as its usually the easiest. After some practice this will set all the pins allmost every time ya just need a feel for the lock yer working with. Hope this helps a little. If ya need more tips I got a few.

Spinelli

Reaction score
oh and also I noticed picking the front pin or closest or whatever ya wanna call it, sometimes makes the rest harder to get to. I dunno why, so I usually go back to front if I'm picking the standard way.

Matt Derrick

Retired Wanderer
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
yes, picking from the back forward is essential. you'll never be able to get it going the other way.

here's my set, it's pretty awesome:
http://www.lockpicks.com/index.asp?Page ... &ProdID=25

and here's the practice lock i bought to go with it:
http://www.lockpicks.com/index.asp?Page ... ProdID=790

a practice lock really is well worth the money. part of it is cut away so you can actually see how the pins are moving and relate the feel of the pick against the pin with what's going on in the lock while you're picking it. ive pretty much mastered this lock, now im trying to do it with my eyes closed just by feel. it's a good way to go.

also, here's a good guide to lockpicking:
http://www.google.com/search?q=mit+lock ... =firefox-a

finn

Playground Monitor
Reaction score
What are your picks made of? I find that picking locks with more than 4 pins with paperclips to be a headache.

Matt Derrick

Retired Wanderer
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
dirtyfacedan said:
Two words....Bump Keys.

All you need to know may, or may not be found here, http://www.toool.nl/

i met the head of that club at a hacker conference once, nice guy, AMAZING lock picker.

and to Spinelli, it was a few years ago, but from what i remember, during the ordering process i just had to click a checkbox that said "yes, i am a licensed locksmith" before checkout.

T

the beckster

i've heard that the bristles on street cleaners are awesome to use to make your own. but i have yet to see a street cleaner stopped. and i hate buying stuff off the internet, esspecially something that would seem so easy to make yourself. yolo had the best kit i've ever seen. it was disguised to look like a pen.

J

julieofthetrees

i've heard the same thing about street cleaner bristles. You can just find them in the street if you pay attention on short walk in any city or town that has them. The cliche of bobby pins also works well.

dirtyfacedan

Reaction score
loam said:
lockpicking gun! 30 bucks

"Brat" guns cause damage to locks.....if it's a place you want to return to, you may not want to use them.

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Help us pay the bills!

Total amount
$10.00
Goal
$100.00

Latest Library Uploads