Lock picking | Squat the Planet

Lock picking

D

deleted user

Hey all! Sorry if this is the wrong section. Assumed this would go under tools. I recently decided to learn the skill of lock picking and have been thinking about the uses of it. Aside from the obvious usage of popping squats, you can pick locks on dumpsters as well. While their are many other uses, this is a big one for me, because there is nothing like the pain of being hungry on the road only to find a dumpster with a lock on it. The awesome part: IT'S EASY. I've only been doing it or a week now and look at my speed. ( the first lock has security pins, why it takes slower time):

In conclusion: I recommend picking up a set and learning this very practical skill. You can get a set for very cheap from budk.com, but I recommend spending at least $30 on a set because the cheaper ones bend easily.

Thoughts or experiences?

Matt Derrick

Retired Wanderer
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
I had a great set with a practice lock a long time ago, the practice lock was cool because it was split down the middle, so you could see the tumblers as you moved them. It was worth the extra twenty bucks.

Reactions: West
D

deleted user

Ya I want some practice locks. Just been working on what I can get my hands on. Toughest I've worked on so far is the first lock in the vid. A magnum no. 240 with security pins. Took me a while to first get but can get it with ease now. Great intro to security pins.

p4r4d0x

Reaction score
I'm a Locksmith

The amount of torque to be applied to the tension wrench is best described as "feather light"

Light tension wrenches are preferred in most cases over rigid tension

Set long pins before short pins to prevent the plug from binding

Grease and rake before picking

That's all I can share publicly

Reactions: eske silver
D

deleted user

Manufacturer. Ones that don't bend so easily. Also, the trick with security pins ( SOME, I assume) is to release tension slightly before pushing it up, right? Referring to the magnum no. 240

p4r4d0x

Reaction score
It's all about the individual locks sweet spot, 2 of the exact same locks can have differing sweet spots because of the differences in pin lengths in relation to the working keys cuts and the fundamental principal that allows locks to be picked which is sloppy imprecise manufacturing. 1/100 of an inch can be the difference between a grade 3 residential lockset and grade 3 commercial lockset.
Although usually it's that ontop of sidebars and any kind of high security top pins.
Picks bend because of improper technique by attempting to force pins bound inbetween the plug and housing vertically.
If any pins are binding at all it's too much pressure even when top pins are picked or set on the shear line the bottom pins move freely because of it's separation with the top pin and spring.

D

deleted user

No worries.
I won't spoon feed you my technique.
But, you are well on your way to figuring it out for yourself.

Discussing theory is no problem.

Referring to my video, how is my technique for a beginner? Sloppy or getting there ( I guess it's getting there either way)?

p4r4d0x

Reaction score
Referring to my video, how is my technique for a beginner? Sloppy or getting there ( I guess it's getting there either way)?
Youtube won't let me view it on my phone.
It says the owner hasn't allowed mobile viewing.

Regardless, stay calm, close your eyes, remember to breathe and see the locks internals through your fingertips and pick.

Reactions: eske silver

Odin

ANTISOLIPSIST
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Is there a book or something for beginners... that can be recommended?

or do I just (GIN)

wizehop

Chasing the Darkness
Reaction score
Man for basic locks you can pick it up pretty easily. I used to work for a company that required me to pick locks regularly, and it didn't take two long once you got the hang of it. It also came in handy when the elevator inspection agency and my boss got into a fight ant they locked our elevator.
The only other time it came in handy was when I locked my self out of my place. I managed to take a piece of an old rake to turn the lock and a hair pin to rake the tumblers. Other than that I can honestly say that most of the places I would like to get into without permission have locks that are too complicated for me.

Reactions: p4r4d0x
D

deleted user

Is there a book or something for beginners... that can be recommended?

or do I just (GIN)

Sorry for the late response, the new update wouldn't allow my iPhone to view the forums. And from my experience so fa: practice practice practice. I've only watched one PowerPoint but it contained information I already knew (thanks to TES: oblivion. Lol), the rest has been nothing but hands on for me. Google probably couldn't hurt =p

Man for basic locks you can pick it up pretty easily. I used to work for a company that required me to pick locks regularly, and it didn't take two long once you got the hang of it. It also came in handy when the elevator inspection agency and my boss got into a fight ant they locked our elevator.
The only other time it came in handy was when I locked my self out of my place. I managed to take a piece of an old rake to turn the lock and a hair pin to rake the tumblers. Other than that I can honestly say that most of the places I would like to get into without permission have locks that are too complicated for me.

Ya for me, I love the challenge. Picking is more puzzle solving to me and I love it. What's the hardest you've worked on?

wizehop

Chasing the Darkness
Reaction score
What's the hardest you've worked on?

To be honest I couldn't tell you, most of the locks where the basic 4-5 pin tumbler type. It was always just a matter of applying slight torque and raking the pins until you got it, def no 007 type shit. I certainly enjoyed popping the locks on things where people tried to keep us out, but for the most part it was just work.
We cut keys as well and I had a full subscription to "key cods on line" which gave me access to cutting most keys as well as combination locks. Surprisingly enough I rarely if ever did much with the access.
That being said most household locks are still a piece of cake with a pick set.

Odin

ANTISOLIPSIST
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
p4r4d0x said:
Regardless, stay calm, close your eyes, remember to breathe and see the locks internals through your fingertips and pick.

Like that advice... few times i've needed to use a slim jim... I try to get a feel for it.

logystyk said:
Sorry for the late response, the new update wouldn't allow my iPhone to view the forums. And from my experience so fa: practice practice practice.

Yea... was all of us. Got the idea... practice. I'll have to try improvise some hairpins and rakes until I get my self a set and mess around with some locks at the shop.
I like the idea of it being useful for dumpstering.

finn

Playground Monitor
Reaction score
Best way to learn is by practice. After I got decent with using paperclips and moved to real lockpicks, it's amazing how much easier it is...

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Help us pay the bills!

Total amount
$10.00
Goal
$100.00

Latest Library Uploads