1. Not like it changes anything, but we are obligated to inform you that we are using cookies - so, we just did. Learn More.
  2. Hey you! Yeah, we see you there, lurking! Well, this notice is just to let you know that there's several sections of the website that are available to members only! You're missing out on a lot of stuff by not signing up for an account! It's free, so what have you got to lose?
    Dismiss Notice

Living in a power plant...

Discussion in 'Alternative Housing' started by ddb29340, Sep 9, 2017.

1. ddb29340

ddb29340 is getting to know the place

Achievements:
    HANDYMAN (Retired electrician)
    Address:
    Spartanburg, SC, United States
    View on map:
    Ratings:
    +16 / -0
    When I was in the Navy back in the early 1980's, one of my duty stations was the island of Midway. I was an electrician, so my job was maintaining the island's power plant. It wasn't a very big building since it only had 3 diesel-driven generators. But it had a small mezzanine level in it, probably about 10 X 10 feet. And one of the FOG's (F'n Old Guys) had him a bunk on that mezz., and that's where he lived. That's about the time I started thinking about alternative living situations 'cause I felt kind of JEALOUS of him! There was a barracks building that everybody else, including me, lived in. hahaha

The birds in the pictures are called "albatross" or more commonly "gooney bird".

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 5
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  2. Tude

Tude Sometimes traveler is traveling.
    Staff Member Moderator

Featured Threads:
    Achievements:
    College staff
    Address:
    Rochester, NY, United States
    View on map:
    Ratings:
    +2,821 / -9
    Cool stuff - thanks!

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. Odin

Odin ANTISOLIPSIST
    Lifetime Supporter

Featured Threads:
    Achievements:
    Umbra Animus
    My Website(s):
    Ratings:
    +2,330 / -12
    Sweet post.
    Barracks can suck..was that the old style where you just have foot lockers and rows of beds like in boot camp?

I was lucky my shop was in the old officers single housing at the "inn" on base, lived in my own hotel like room. Other squadrons were not as lucky and people had to share a room.

• Like Like x 1
  4. OP
    OP
    ddb29340

ddb29340 is getting to know the place

Achievements:
    HANDYMAN (Retired electrician)
    Address:
    Spartanburg, SC, United States
    View on map:
    Ratings:
    +16 / -0
    Yes, it WAS the boot camp style barracks, except IIRC, we had regular lockers instead of the foot lockers. The thing that freaked me out at first was the geckos everywhere...and they would drop off the ceiling onto you when you were sleeping and everything! But one never did fall into my food in the chow hall...THANK GOODNESS!!! After a few months, ya don't even pay 'em any attention anymore! hahaha EDITED TO ADD: It sounds like you had a sweet gig with your "hotel like room"!!! hahaha:)

• Like Like x 1