liveaboard

mikko

Reaction score
so i'm thinking in need to save up approx two thousand dollars to buy a liveaboard sailboat is that about right/does anybody know anything about this? it can be semi crappy so long as its ok on the inside/fix-nice-able

once i do im thinking emeryville as a starting space because i like it don't know why but if anyone has some good harbor ideas (of course i know hawaii but i mean feasible for someone on the mainland...though anything's possible) ill take those too

actually just any discussion about liveaboards is welcome. :)

earliest

Reaction score
Emeryville is a pretty good docking spot, I have a lot of friends thy live there and like it a lot. Lots of times just hanging around the harbor you find out about really cheap sailboats that you can buy just for the cost of the slip. A few weeks ago in Oakland someone offered to sell me their 22ft live aboard for &250 and I totally would have done it if it weren't for docking fees. One thing I'm really into right now is building my own houseboat this coming summer. It seems like it could be done practically for free using recycled/found materials. I'm going to want to dock it somewhere rural or secluded to avoid paying to dock. Has anyone attempted this? I'm real psyched on this project right now.

Rambing Roots

Reaction score
i lived on my 23ft sailboat for 2yrs, 6 months of it with my girl.
never tied up to a dock always dropping anchor and completly offgrid,karosene and candles hauling water and wood for the wood stove.
i dont know much about the states but on the west coast of canada you can pretty much sit on the hook in any harbour for as long as you like.
most of the islands are loaded with sea gypsies and we are always willing to help each other out.
but you gotta row to shoreand that gets a bit tough when its pissing rain and the wind is kicking up to 40 kts for 4 of 5 days.
you can deffinitly find a decent sailboat for $2000, my buddy picked up a 27ft in WA state this summer for $1000 plus another $500 for an outboard and he was good to go.
go down to the docks and ask around or any of the boatyards there are plenty of guys who have bit off more then they can chew with some project boat and just want to get rid of it.
dont forget about craigslist and the free stuff and barter, seen plenty of of people who giving them away it may need alot of work but its a start.
even in the boats section there are deals to be had, i had to get rid of mine 2 days before i left to asia and i let it go fully loaded for $1500.

Reactions: wiljago

Cardboard

I'm a d-bag and got banned.
Banned
Reaction score
Should be able to pick up something in living condition for next to nothing. There are a lot of people who abandon boats, so go as at the harbor what is left, and they often have auctions to get rid of these boats. Usually a boat will go for the first bid, cause no one want them. If you think to actually sail, I would still recommend this, then put the money you have saved up into repairing it. you used to be able to get a slip in 5th ave marina in oakland for 170 a month, that was the cheapest in the bay area that I know of. consider that you will probably need to pay that, unless you wanna get out and anchor, in which case, check out blueanarchy.org, for a pretty good list of anchoring spots on the west coast.

Rambing Roots

Reaction score
salamat, that's sick. Did you stick to the coasts, or roll the high seas ever? How far did you travel?
i stayed mostly on the south coast of b.c.
there are hundreds of islands and deep inlets the run sometimes a hundred miles into the interior.
its not that hard to find a little spot all by you self with just the animals for company.
i was planning to do a little open ocean sailing down to mexico next summer, but the thought of another wet b.c. winter got me to sell it and head to the philippines for the winter.
i will be trying to find a free of nearly free boat when i get back to canada.

Rambing Roots

Reaction score
t
Should be able to pick up something in living condition for next to nothing. There are a lot of people who abandon boats, so go as at the harbor what is left, and they often have auctions to get rid of these boats. Usually a boat will go for the first bid, cause no one want them. If you think to actually sail, I would still recommend this, then put the money you have saved up into repairing it. you used to be able to get a slip in 5th ave marina in oakland for 170 a month, that was the cheapest in the bay area that I know of. consider that you will probably need to pay that, unless you wanna get out and anchor, in which case, check out blueanarchy.org, for a pretty good list of anchoring spots on the west coast.

thanks for the tip on blueanarchy.org, thats going to come in real handy once i get back in the embrace of the blue!
i also saw you pics over there in the E.U. ,looks like you've been getting up to some really wonderful things over there.
ho

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads