Liberation

QueerCoyote

granola punk
Reaction score
Meet my new ride, Liberation. She's a Dahon speed P8.

Can't wait til the cargo rack and panniers arrive. :)

Decided to go with a folding bike after @Buffalo sold me on them. The idea of being able to hitch and use public transport were winners.

14264253_10209317670914427_627021477589876528_n.jpg

Tude

Sometimes traveler is traveling.
Reaction score
Very cool!!! I have a guy in one of my bike clubs who writes travel books for bicycling - illustrated trailes etc - Harvey <3 and he faithfully travels with his Joe Friday folder - puts it in a case - hoists it over his shoulder and he's good to go - has bicycled a lot of the Eastern coast (hence his books) but has done a lot with his bike in Europe. Congratulations too - and where do you plan on riding with that sparkling new ride (love new rides)?

Matt Derrick

Retired Wanderer
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
that's pretty awesome, i'd be interested to hear back from you on this in a while and let us know the pros/cons? especially in the traveling department...

Hillbilly Castro

Reaction score
that's pretty awesome, i'd be interested to hear back from you on this in a while and let us know the pros/cons? especially in the traveling department...

It's SO SICK. I've been traveling a fair bit in the northeast with a Dahon Speed Uno (same bike as OP but singlespeed, though I have mine doctored up with an automatic 2-speed hub!) and can say this is the ultimate way to travel, in my opinion. When you are straight hitching you've got to walk often, and when you are stuck on your feet, everything can seem far away, so much so that you actually do less cool shit, wreck your feet, and your lows are fuckin low. With the bike that just isn't the case! If the hitching spot sucks, you hop on. If you are sick of having the same "hi I am a hitchhiker etc" convo with another ride, you hop on the bike. No sleep spots in town worth a shit? Cool - get out of the range of the tweakers (and the cops) by riding to a less developed area. And in crews of travelers and folks posted up on the street, you become "the homie" when the time comes to dumpster-dive, buy beer, scope cool spots, and just generally be a scout because you move at five times the speed of the average hobo in-town.
It does not slow you down hitchhiking. Straight up. You'd think it might because it adds bulk - but whatever is lost in this regard is gained (an then some, IMO) in the fact that you can pedal to the best spots for catching a ride. Throw a sling onto the seatpost and the cargo rack and when your ride stops, as surely as you throw your arm into the loop of your pack as you run for the ride, you scoop the bike too - and at 24 pounds, it isn't hard to do.
Also super fuckin' cool is the fact that you can, if you want, only bike the terrain you want to ride. Sick of going uphill? Stop, fold it up (20 seconds), and throw up the thumb. If the wind sucks, or the rain is driving and maddening, this would all be horrid on a pure bike tour, but the hitchbiker cheats - and finds a warm dry spot in a car. This winds up creating a series of transitions that feel pleasantly discombobulating. Pedal, hitch, pedal, hitch.
I know I sound like a used car salesman but this shit has revolutionized my setup and made vagabond life immensely more enjoyable out and out. But there are a couple drawbacks. One is that hitching with a non-bike-hobo partner sorta sucks, because then the bike turns into a relatively useless hunk of metal. Other than dumpster runs or scoping shit, you are still bound to walking speed, and sorta feel like a dick rolling around in a seat while your partner wrecks his feet. So it has made me take a more solitary path, even when I'd rather roll with a crew. This can be solved by traveling with other hitchbikers.. hence my proselytizing to OP the virtues of the bike hobo lifestyle. Other than that, it sucks that with a bike, you've got to check baggage when you fly, which limits options, slows you down, and costs you cash. And when in crowded spaces like street festivals, you are fucked and just have to push a loaded bike through a crowd, or carry a huge hunk of folded metal. Neither is fun or good, nor is either out of the norm for backpackers or bike tourers.

Credits to the legendary @Wawa for posting their setup in the thread "Bike Bums? Gotta do it up." Since that thread and particularly their posts in it, I immediately got a folder and am so thankful for inspiration I found there. Cheers to OP - a brilliant friend of mine - for making the purchase. A great way to learn the road.

Wawa

Reaction score
Website
www.etsy.com
Crazy me, I have my eye in a Brompton now. It'll fit in a grainer hole. Bike friday is too awkward, but good enough for hitching....

Glad you're having a blast. The thing about being more solitary is pretty relatable, but when you do meet compatible travelers with bikes, it can be super epic.

My favorite thing when I had it in the US was rolling into some shithole town, getting onto the bike, riding a few miles out and sleeping comfortably. I found awesome river spots, clean, hidden enough for a fire, in redding and bakersfield both.

• Useful
Reactions: Matt Derrick

Matt Derrick

Retired Wanderer
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
It's SO SICK. I've been traveling a fair bit in the northeast with a Dahon Speed Uno (same bike as OP but singlespeed, though I have mine doctored up with an automatic 2-speed hub!) and can say this is the ultimate way to travel, in my opinion. When you are straight hitching you've got to walk often, and when you are stuck on your feet, everything can seem far away, so much so that you actually do less cool shit, wreck your feet, and your lows are fuckin low. With the bike that just isn't the case! If the hitching spot sucks, you hop on. If you are sick of having the same "hi I am a hitchhiker etc" convo with another ride, you hop on the bike. No sleep spots in town worth a shit? Cool - get out of the range of the tweakers (and the cops) by riding to a less developed area. And in crews of travelers and folks posted up on the street, you become "the homie" when the time comes to dumpster-dive, buy beer, scope cool spots, and just generally be a scout because you move at five times the speed of the average hobo in-town.
It does not slow you down hitchhiking. Straight up. You'd think it might because it adds bulk - but whatever is lost in this regard is gained (an then some, IMO) in the fact that you can pedal to the best spots for catching a ride. Throw a sling onto the seatpost and the cargo rack and when your ride stops, as surely as you throw your arm into the loop of your pack as you run for the ride, you scoop the bike too - and at 24 pounds, it isn't hard to do.
Also super fuckin' cool is the fact that you can, if you want, only bike the terrain you want to ride. Sick of going uphill? Stop, fold it up (20 seconds), and throw up the thumb. If the wind sucks, or the rain is driving and maddening, this would all be horrid on a pure bike tour, but the hitchbiker cheats - and finds a warm dry spot in a car. This winds up creating a series of transitions that feel pleasantly discombobulating. Pedal, hitch, pedal, hitch.
I know I sound like a used car salesman but this shit has revolutionized my setup and made vagabond life immensely more enjoyable out and out. But there are a couple drawbacks. One is that hitching with a non-bike-hobo partner sorta sucks, because then the bike turns into a relatively useless hunk of metal. Other than dumpster runs or scoping shit, you are still bound to walking speed, and sorta feel like a dick rolling around in a seat while your partner wrecks his feet. So it has made me take a more solitary path, even when I'd rather roll with a crew. This can be solved by traveling with other hitchbikers.. hence my proselytizing to OP the virtues of the bike hobo lifestyle. Other than that, it sucks that with a bike, you've got to check baggage when you fly, which limits options, slows you down, and costs you cash. And when in crowded spaces like street festivals, you are fucked and just have to push a loaded bike through a crowd, or carry a huge hunk of folded metal. Neither is fun or good, nor is either out of the norm for backpackers or bike tourers.

Credits to the legendary @Wawa for posting their setup in the thread "Bike Bums? Gotta do it up." Since that thread and particularly their posts in it, I immediately got a folder and am so thankful for inspiration I found there. Cheers to OP - a brilliant friend of mine - for making the purchase. A great way to learn the road.

Crazy me, I have my eye in a Brompton now. It'll fit in a grainer hole. Bike friday is too awkward, but good enough for hitching....

Glad you're having a blast. The thing about being more solitary is pretty relatable, but when you do meet compatible travelers with bikes, it can be super epic.

My favorite thing when I had it in the US was rolling into some shithole town, getting onto the bike, riding a few miles out and sleeping comfortably. I found awesome river spots, clean, hidden enough for a fire, in redding and bakersfield both.

damn, that's really making me consider folding bikes! is there anything i should look out for when shopping for one?

QueerCoyote

granola punk
Reaction score
damn, that's really making me consider folding bikes! is there anything i should look out for when shopping for one?

I can't give the experienced opinion the other two can, but here are some of the things I ran into while researching to buy mine:

• Aluminum frames are going to be lighter but will provide much less stability on terrain.
  • Buying accessories (racks, mud guards) is a little more pricey because they have to be specialized to the smaller bike tires and not inhibit folding.
  • With the panniers and rack you want to make sure you have enough heel clearance. Because the folding bike wheels are smaller heel striking your gear is common if the pannier or rack isn't ideal.
  • Most bike shops won't carry the replacement parts you need, so you'll have to have them shipped to shops or carry your own

Hillbilly Castro

Reaction score

All good suggestions from queercoyote. If buying used, make sure all hinge points are mechanically solid (worth glancing at online copies of the user's manual first) and not worn down. Nothing should rattle or flex more than a centimeter - especially handlebar posts. Also, while I usually don't care about the weight of my bike, I am glad I have a reasonably light bike in this case bc it makes it easier to lug around. It may be worth saving weight by going singlespeed - you can hitch the hills. Also these bikes tend to have lower weight limits for riders and gear, so there's another incentive to reduce the weight of your total setup. (My Dahon - nearly the same as OP - has a 230# limit).

D

Deleted member 2626

Think I'll gander for one for my off grid place, would even present more room when sleeping in my pick up. if I didn't have my pooch I'd be doing the bike thing. Full packs and trekking does bring you down sometimes.

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads