Let users overturn account bans with a 2/3rd majority (1 Viewer)

Is this a good idea?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Matt Derrick

Semi-retired traveler
Staff member
Admin
Website
youtube.com
So one of the good arguments to come out of this thread was giving users the ability to overturn a ban handed down by the staff with a poll that would be placed in the den of the banned thread with the details of why the user was banned. As stated in the title, the poll would have two options a 'the ban is fair' and 'the ban is unfair' and the 'ban is unfair' option would have to win by a 2/3rds majority to overturn the ban.

This thread is to provide a poll for users to vote on as well as discuss any flaws or additional ideas as to how this would work. Vote in the poll and discuss it here (poll will close in 14 days and you can change your vote any time before then).

We sell all kinds of other stuff in our Etsy store!

TheUndeadPhoenix

The Necromancer King
Website
instagram.com
Personally, I think the vote should be a blind bag pick of active members chosen at random instead of an open poll that anybody could vote on, but otherwise I agree with having this.

Edit: In addition, if you do leave it as a public poll, make it so accounts have to be a certain age first or require a number of posts. VPNs are cheap, I'm using one right now, and you could easily make sock puppets to vote in the poll. It would be pretty fuckin obvious in some extreme cases but in close ones, it wouldn't be as obvious.

Matt Derrick

Semi-retired traveler
Staff member
Admin
Website
youtube.com
Personally, I think the vote should be a blind bag pick of active members chosen at random instead of an open poll that anybody could vote on, but otherwise I agree with having this.

we could restrict the poll to users that meet certain requirements (accounts 30 days old, profile filled out, certain number of posts, certain number of positive ratings, etc), but i don't currently have any way to pick people at random.

i feel like it's worth noting that random users wouldn't work anyways because there's no guarantee the users would be active anytime in the past few months, or dead accounts might get picked, etc. even if we restricted it to recently active users there's no guarantee 100% of the people picked would vote. but since we don't have the ability to pick randos anyways, it's a bit of a mute point.

TheUndeadPhoenix

The Necromancer King
Website
instagram.com
we could restrict the poll to users that meet certain requirements (accounts 30 days old, profile filled out, certain number of posts, certain number of positive ratings, etc), but i don't currently have any way to pick people at random.
Yep, exactly on the same wavelength. I edited my post before I saw your reply

Older Than Dirt

I'm a d-bag and got banned.
Banned
2/3 of votes is a very high threshold. Very few bans will ever be overturned if this is the test. A majority of votes might be better.

@TheUndeadPhoenix' idea is an interesting one, but many "jurors" might not respond to the call for their votes even if they've been recently active.

But what Matt says about restricting the poll to active users who have posted substantive content is a very good one.

Matt Derrick

Semi-retired traveler
Staff member
Admin
Website
youtube.com
2/3 of votes is a very high threshold. Very few bans will ever be overturned if this is the test. A majority of votes might be better.

my issue with that is there is going to be some kind of circumstance where a poll is going to be won by one vote, and i'm just not comfortable with that. if people feel strongly about something i don't think a 2/3rds will be hard to hit.

Last edited:

TheUndeadPhoenix

The Necromancer King
Website
instagram.com
my issue with that is there is going to be some kind of circumstance where a poll is going to be one by one vote, and i'm just not comfortable with that. if people feel strongly about something i don't think a 2/3rds will be hard to hit.
Watch, now that you said that, somebody's gonna get banned and there's gonna be a poll that just passes 66.67% with one vote

Older Than Dirt

I'm a d-bag and got banned.
Banned
Well, that is always a possibility with whatever number is picked- it can by 2/3 by one vote too (as @TheUndeadPhoenix said as i was typing). But fair point.

Any maybe there should be a strong presumption mods are correct in deciding to ban someone. And obviously with an automatic follow-up poll, this would be a decision that mods would be careful about (not saying that you aren't now).

So i voted for it now.

morphine

Lurker
Okay I see. I'm quite new to this site so i won't vote in this poll, leave it to the people who know this community.

But i have an idea: Maybe put a minimum amount of required voters. Otherwise in theory one person could un-ban someone.

Matt Derrick

Semi-retired traveler
Staff member
Admin
Website
youtube.com
i mean, if only 3 people vote (unlikely) and 2 vote one way and 1 the other, that's still a 2/3rds majority. i'd honestly be really surprised if that happened given the amount of traffic the den of the banned area gets.

coltsfoot

Wayfarer
Website
audiobookbay.nl
I will say that I appreciate how little tolerance you have for racism homophobia and misogyny etc and personally dont see a need to vote on that kind of thing but maybe thats just me.. and maybe it makes things too complicated to try to separate things out like that

Thewalkindude

Wanderer
I think a poll makes sense sometimes, but so many bans are obviously justified they don't even deserve a trial. Like blatant racism, homophobia, transphobia, trolling etc. I think mods get it right a vast majority of the time. Most bans imo, aren't all that controversial. Worth a shot still I guess?

D

Deleted member 24782

I deleted myself
I will say that I appreciate how little tolerance you have for racism homophobia and misogyny etc and personally dont see a need to vote on that kind of thing but maybe thats just me.. and maybe it makes things too complicated to try to separate things out like that

But who's to determine what the tolerance threshold is for these things? I think thats the point of this voting feature. Finger pointing, banning, and warnings issued are being abused based off of some vague hard lines of political correctness.

coltsfoot

Wayfarer
Website
audiobookbay.nl
But who's to determine what the tolerance threshold is for these things? I think thats the point of this voting feature. Finger pointing, banning, and warnings issued are being abused based off of some vague hard lines of political correctness.

Yeah I really agree with that, i just feel like its important to say that part of why i feel safe here is because stp doesn't put up with that kind of bs, and i don't feel a need to vote on it, but i totally agree that drawing that line can get complicated, and i also get that not everyone here is gonna share those sentiments. i will say that to me its not about political correctness tho, its about respect and not having to deal with what to me is just really shitty

D

Deleted member 125

I deleted myself
Yeah I really agree with that, i just feel like its important to say that part of why i feel safe here is because stp doesn't put up with that kind of bs, and i don't feel a need to vote on it, but i totally agree that drawing that line can get complicated, and i also get that not everyone here is gonna share those sentiments. i will say that to me its not about political correctness tho, its about respect and not having to deal with what to me is just really shitty

The staff doesnt put up with all the bullshit you mentioned that made you feel safe on stp. Please do feel the need to vote against this type of stuff when it comes up in a ban (often) so stp can continue to be the kind of place that doesnt tolerate racist/sexist etc behavior. You wanted a vote and you got it, dont let stp turn into a dump just cause you dont feel the need to vote on something that up until this point has been taken care of without you having to be directly involved. Yer just as involved now as everybody else.

Users who are viewing this thread

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Support StP!

Donations go towards paying our monthly server fees, adding new features to the website, and occasionally putting a burrito in Matt's mouth.

Total amount
$90.00
Goal
$100.00

Monthly Goals

1. Paying the Bills
    $50.00 of $50.00 - reached!
    The first $50 in donations go towards paying our monthly server fees and adding new features to the website. Once this goal is reached, we'll see about feeding Matt that burrito.
  2. Buy Matt a Beer
    $75.00 of $75.00 - reached!
    Now that we have the bills paid for this month, let's give Matt a hearty thank you by buying him a drink for all the hard work he's done for StP. Hopefully his will help keep him from going insane after a long day of squishing website bugs.
  3. Feed Matt a Burrito
    $90.00 of $100.00
    Now that the bills are paid and Matt has a beer in his hand, how about showing him your love by rewarding all his hard work with a big fat burrito to put in his mouth. This will keep him alive while programming new features for the website.
  4. Finance the Shopping Cart
    $90.00 of $200.00
    Now that the bills are paid and Matt is fed, perhaps it's time to start planning for those twilight years under the bridge... if only he had that golden shopping cart all the oogles are bragging about these days.