1. Not like it changes anything, but we are obligated to inform you that we are using cookies - so, we just did. Learn More.
  2. If you're new to the world of underground travel, you should check out The Anarchist's Guide to Travel! This 243 page book is a how-2 manual of everything you need to know about exploring the world through hitchhiking, train hopping, bike touring, rubber tramping, sailing, and more! Included in this book are instructions on how to survive on the road (gear, food, money, etc) and answers all of the most common questions we get here on StP in one easy reference. Save yourself hours of searching the forums while still supporting the StP community! Click here for more information!

Dismiss Notice
  3. Hey you! Yeah, we see you there, lurking! Well, this notice is just to let you know that there's several sections of the website that are available to members only! You're missing out on a lot of stuff by not signing up for an account! It's free, so what have you got to lose?
    Dismiss Notice

Legal info

Discussion in 'General Banter' started by Gypsybones, Dec 6, 2017.

1. Gypsybones

Gypsybones Sir Posts a Lot

Achievements:
    Whatever you'll pay me to do
    Address:
    Los Angeles, CA, United States
    View on map:
    My Website(s):
    Ratings:
    +152 / -2
    So lets say you get fingered for shoplifting, but you were never caught doing said crime. The popo have your info (name, number, state ID #), but have never talked to you or done anything other than try and call you. You have left the area with no plans on returning... what if anything, can they do?

2. Waters

Waters Hungry for Knowledge

Achievements:
    Address:
    Tampa, FL, United States
    View on map:
    Ratings:
    +22 / -0
    I'm no lawyer but I have had a warrant put out on me just for questioning. If you don't have plans on returning to that state you will be fine. If you're just a county away then I don't know probably depends on how they handle that. I know in some states one county can hold you till the county that has the warrant picks you up. All this is assuming the worst case being a warrant. Probably nothing will come of it tho.

3. Waters

Waters Hungry for Knowledge

Achievements:
    Address:
    Tampa, FL, United States
    View on map:
    Ratings:
    +22 / -0
    If they have your # I'd assume they'd try to contact you first tho.

4. OP
    OP
    Gypsybones

Gypsybones Sir Posts a Lot

Achievements:
    Whatever you'll pay me to do
    Address:
    Los Angeles, CA, United States
    View on map:
    My Website(s):
    Ratings:
    +152 / -2
    If said individual has left the state and no items have ever been found on the person. So the have and legal standing to do anything? I mean i know they can't get anyone extradited for that, but what is there to worry about?

5. CaptainCassius

CaptainCassius One of the Regulars

Achievements:
    Commander Rubber-Tramp
    Address:
    Sacramento, California, United States
    View on map:
    Ratings:
    +74 / -3
    Learned a thing or two from a PI I knew, guy probably disliked cops more than most..

Generally speaking; if a detective is calling one, asking for information, it means they're fishing. One is not required in any form to oblige the detective without warrant or subpoena.

One should not worry.

• Like Like x 1
    #5 CaptainCassius, Dec 6, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 6, 2017
  6. ROADFLOWER

ROADFLOWER Previously Silas Brand

Achievements:
    sure
    Address:
    McCall, ID, United States
    View on map:
    Ratings:
    +47 / -0
    here is the thing, they have some amount of time to press charges like 2-7 years or something like that. they have to serve you papers too and need an address to do so. if no charges have been filed then they can not do anything to you. until they press charges at witch point there going to need an admittance if there is no video or evidence. I would say there using scare tactics for a confession and they can fuck right off your fine man. just don't get pined there for anything els for a few years