Homemade backpack? | Squat the Planet

Homemade backpack?

Ash Ludd

Reaction score
Can’t decide whether to try and make my own perfect backpack or if that’s more trouble than it’s worth… I’d want it to close with a drawstring and then have a flap over to top. Maybe a couple of side-pockets and some straps to attach roll mat on the top. Capacity enough to fit my sleeping bag, poncho shelter, change of clothes, small cook set, a book, maybe a few other bits n bobs. Anyone have any guides or advice on this?

Traveler

Reaction score
You've described a rucksack. If that's the style you want then buy it because you won't make it any better. No offense... it's juts a bitch to properly waterproof a bag yourself.

Reactions: sketchytravis
D

Deleted member 125

more trouble then its worth for sure. theres alot of italian made military surpluss stuff that sounds like what you are looking for.

You cant go wrong with a medium Alice Ruck. Cheap and easily obtainable. Like stated above it wouldn't be worth time or trouble to make one. You may have to lash the poncho shelter to the top however. I can get a few changes of clothes and a hoodie in the main pouch with my sleeping bag and bivy.

D

Deleted member 20

Can’t decide whether to try and make my own perfect backpack or if that’s more trouble than it’s worth… I’d want it to close with a drawstring and then have a flap over to top. Maybe a couple of side-pockets and some straps to attach roll mat on the top. Capacity enough to fit my sleeping bag, poncho shelter, change of clothes, small cook set, a book, maybe a few other bits n bobs. Anyone have any guides or advice on this?
Please make something! Who knows maybe hes got a juki some heavy duty ykk military grade zippers/buckles & kick ass canvas, duck, goretex, cordage or other material & know how. Half the new school molle, acu camo military packs i have used dont last long at all. They all look bomb proof at first but its sadly a facade.

MolotovMocktail

Subverting from within
Reaction score
It might be easier to get a basic pack then modify it to your liking. That way you don't have to mess around with the difficulties others have listed and you still get a pack the way you like it. If you feel up to making it yourself though then totally go for it. I'm never one to discourage someone from making stuff.

Reactions: sketchytravis
D

Deleted member 20

Packs are temporary in nature. They come & go. Many get confiscated, stolen, lost, destroyed & just dont stand up to the rigors of hard core travelin. Sitting/resting on em as pillows. Gettin stuffed in grainer holes, trunks or thrown off movng trains. Dont sweat the small stuff. Obtain a cheap mil surplus or yuppie hiking pack off craigslist for around $20-$30, travel with it until it breaks beyond repair or something better comes along. :D

Last edited:

EphemeralStick

Andie of the House of Queer
Reaction score
It would be way easier to just by a pack. Yes. Even modifying a pack would be easier. However if you reeeeally have the och to be creative here are some tips.
First you're going to want to make the main pocket. In choosing the material, focus on a fabric that is durable over water proof. The problem with most water proof materials is that they tend to rip easier, thus they don't make for a good external layer. I recommend either burlap or canvas.

Second, be sure to make an inner liner. The easiest way to to do this is to make a second bag out of a thinner material. Sheets should work fine for This. Be sure to make it the exact proportions as the external layer. When putting the two layers together you can add a middle layer to keep moisture out. You can use recycled plastic bagsor even tyvek if you haveit. Mind you it will be extremely hard to make this bag completely waterproof but you can make it resistant. Simply cut sheets of your proof material and attach it between the external and inner layers with an adhesive. I recommend epoxy from home depot since it's extremely useful and easy as fuck to steal.

Before you do any cutting be sure to a clear idea of how you want your bag to look so as to not waste materials. I also recommend hand sewing and using double stitching with a thick thread. If your sewing with thread that can be used with a sewing machine then it's way too thin and won't last very long.

If you're new to sewing and bag making this will be a helluva challenge. Though I'll admit thinking about all this has gotten me inspired. Think I'll make one as my next project.

xao

Reaction score
i just wanted to say im knee deep in a backpack project. i havent sewn anything yet but im designing and measuring what i want my pack to be. ive looked around and the closest i can get is $300 dollars. now dont get me wrong, the richard jones pack is a mean pack, but i need a laptop pouch and various other accouterments i feel it is lacking and therefore must add on my own.

before i make my own three section pack im going to make a smaller two section version that should be day pack ish in size (13 x 17 x 6) but will still fit my rack so i can ride and walk with ease. hopefully ill have something worth showing in a few weeks...

HoboinaTux

Reaction score
I am currently looking into re-purposing some old jeans I have cut up. My intentions originally was to make a pack for a dog, however I think I might just try and tackle one for myself.

I don't have a very good record of following through with ideas I have but if I ever complete it I'll let yall know how it turns out.

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Help us pay the bills!

Total amount
$10.00
Goal
$100.00

Latest Library Uploads