Leaving PA in the dust, finally ready to travel for the first time.

Lena

Reaction score
This is my first time posting, although long overdue as I've lurked here for quite some time. I figured, now is the time to introduce myself, and seek advice as I'm only three weeks away from leaving Pennsylvania to travel for the first time.

Allow me to begin with a little background...
I dropped out of art school a little over a year ago after coming to the realization that I simply wasn't getting what I wanted - not only my education, but from life in general. I felt stagnant, signing my life away to thousands of dollars worth of debt to a school that I didn't appreciate or enjoy. All the while I was living and working (slaving, I feel is a better term) in a town that catered to the rich and brainless, people who I saw as having a world of possibilities available to them because of their wealth, and yet they chose to waste it on wine, shitty music, and soulless artwork. The town I'm talking about is Lancaster, PA, a mecha for hipster socialites, "coffee shop revolutionaries" who flaunt their 'activism' and 'appreciation' for art and culture infinitely more than any impact they could ever make on the world. I blame this town for the art block I've been struggling with for so long. There's very little to be inspired about here.

Ever since, my boyfriend and I have been tying lose-ends and trying to save money to prepare for this trip ever since. We're still pretty broke, and I've learned over time that there's really no way I could sustain myself and save the kind of money I thought I needed. I've worked 6 different jobs, crashed on many a couch and rented from a few slumlords in the process and have been left with little more than a massive headache and an itch to escape like no other. My boyfriend and I have concluded that our best bet is to spange for money and gas to make our way. Luckily, my other half is an experienced traveler, having hopped freight and made great distances solely on the kindness of others.

Without many real concrete plans in mind, other than ending up in Charlotte County, Florida (where we have family, a place to stay, and work waiting for us) we will be setting off at the end of this month in my 2009 Nissan Cube. We recently learned that Rainbow 2012 will be located conveniently en route and I intend to stay there for at least a week. It'll be my first, and my boyfriend's second time attending a gathering! I want to see and experience as much as humanly possible, all the while depending on our fellow man to make our way. I have enough money to take care of car payments and insurance (which I regrettably signed up for last year) until we get there. We also have a chunk of money saved for strictly for emergencies, which will hopefully be enough to help us settle when we reach our destination. When I get to Florida, I'm trading that money-sucking cube in for a clunker and saying good bye to car loans for good (and hell, any kind of loan I can manage to avoid). After that, I suppose the cycle will start again, we'll work for a while, save some more money, and hopefully many more journeys will follow. I have my health and my youth now and I'm taking it for all it's worth.

Whew.. Well, there you have it. I've pretty much spilled my guts entirely in this introduction.
Hello, Squat The Planet, my name is Lena. Nice to meet you.

Matt Derrick

Retired Wanderer
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
Hey Lena! Nice to meet you too, thanks for joining us here! Yeah, car payments can be a bitch. I would say once you get to florida, get a van or small rv, something you can rubber tramp with since that's the shit :)

also, if you're still in florida by feb, there's the ocala regional rainbow gathering. it's pretty chill.

Lena

Reaction score
Thanks, Matt. Yeah, if I can work up the funds for it, I'd definitely buy/trade for a van or RV. My dream home definitely has wheels.
I always wondered how rubber trampers deal with the upkeep and maintenance, though, especially as I'd probably end up with an older model. I know next to nothing about working on cars and engines. I've always wanted to learn. It feels wrong to operate a several-ton piece of machinery with little knowledge on how it works or what to do if it breaks down.

Matt Derrick

Retired Wanderer
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
older cars are better for diy repairs from what i understand. i would pick up some dummies guides and whatnot, that's what I did when I started learning about diesel engines (for vegetable oil conversions).

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads