Learning Primitive/Survival Skills | Squat the Planet

Learning Primitive/Survival Skills

compass

Lost
Reaction score
Is there anyone on here who can teach, or knows of a good person or place to learn primitive/survival skills hands on, for cheap or free?

It's a shame how many people with these skills talk about how neccessary it is for us to learn to be closer to nature and live off the land with the resources immediately available, but still have to live within the system, and charge a shitload of money for courses.

I'm willing to travel pretty much anywhere if I can learn a broad set of skills.

I've got alot of videos and books downloaded, and I know I can just go out and try using those on my own, but I think there is still no replacement for learning directly from a skilled person who can correct mistakes and provide direct feedback. Plus, the teacher/student, master/apprentice relationship is just part of the experience for me, makes it more human and closer to natural order.

Reactions: veggieguy12

stove

Reaction score
Come to the StP gathering, you should be able to learn a bit?

Otherwise, I've learned a lot through trial and error. It's not foolproof, but people have been learning that way for thousands of years.

Of course, the price of failure in a survival situations is rather steep...

you can PM me any specific questions, I won't be on the road for a while, but I'm somewhat knowledgable.

I

IBRRHOBO

If you don't mind vets there's a pretty good crew of us out here. Swing by the Waystation. Other than that, I second stove's input: your failure now is your life later! Trial and error. Other than insane bullshit you could normally avoid (-50 and ur in shorts or urban warfare) just about everything you need to know is actually covered in these threads.

How ya doing these days? Haven't heard from ya since SLO! Still got my #? Give me a buzz anytime!

Good Hunting!

compass

Lost
Reaction score
I'm tentatively planning on going, but it's hard for me to be certain of anything right now.

I'll let you know if I've got any questions.

Thank you!

Come to the StP gathering, you should be able to learn a bit?

Otherwise, I've learned a lot through trial and error. It's not foolproof, but people have been learning that way for thousands of years.

Of course, the price of failure in a survival situations is rather steep...

you can PM me any specific questions, I won't be on the road for a while, but I'm somewhat knowledgable.

compass

Lost
Reaction score
If you don't mind vets there's a pretty good crew of us out here. Swing by the Waystation. Other than that, I second stove's input: your failure now is your life later! Trial and error. Other than insane bullshit you could normally avoid (-50 and ur in shorts or urban warfare) just about everything you need to know is actually covered in these threads.

How ya doing these days? Haven't heard from ya since SLO! Still got my #? Give me a buzz anytime!

Good Hunting!

Vets are cool. I told you about my friend at the Shell station who is just waiting for travelers to roll through to give free soda or coffee and swap stories.

I was planning on heading your way when I was out east, but I've been really impulsive lately, and went back to the west coast. I'll probably head out again when the weather gets a little warmer. I just got to my parents place, I'll give you a call soon.

compass

Lost
Reaction score
This looks like it might be pretty damned cool:

Echoes in Time

It's a primitive skills workshop in Williamette Valley, Oregon (which is Arrow's stomping ground, right?) from July 20th to the 24th. Five days of classes and presentations on primitive skills, pioneer skills and sustainable living. It's only $175, which is nothing if you've ever priced similar classes before, but they also have a workshare program which will reduce the price. The cost includes instruction, camping, toilets, but material fees for some classes are extra. You also have to bring your own food and water.

compass

Lost
Reaction score
Here's a guy in the LA area (around Pasadena) who does weekly classes, sometimes just nature walks and exploring old native sites, alot of focus on wild edibles, some primitive/survival skills classes. Prices are pretty cheap, his survival skills intensives are $51, which I usually see go for $85 to over $100.

Untitled Document

compass

Lost
Reaction score
Here's an event with Christoper Nygeres (the guy from above) and other teachers (last year Ron Hood was there). It's called Dirt Time. August 23-28, five days of primitive and survival skills. They're still updating the sight with info for this year, but last year it was $200, which is really cheap compared to similar classes.

dirttime.com

compass

Lost
Reaction score
Maybe me. I'd have thought there'd be more interest in this. It would be cool to meet Arrow if I hit up that one in Oregon.

I think going to Echoes in Time or Dirt Time would be better than attending the more expensive classes put on by a particular school because they are more like festivals, with people of all kinds of different skills and walks of life coming together. It would be more like experiencing the primitive/survival skills community, people who have made it an integral part of their lives. Might be able to meet some people willing to teach some more or hang out with, as opposed to someone telling you to come back in a week with another $900 for the advanced skills class.

Angela

Wandering But Not Lost Yet
Reaction score
This looks like it might be pretty damned cool:

Echoes in Time

It's a primitive skills workshop in Williamette Valley, Oregon (which is Arrow's stomping ground, right?) from July 20th to the 24th. Five days of classes and presentations on primitive skills, pioneer skills and sustainable living. It's only $175, which is nothing if you've ever priced similar classes before, but they also have a workshare program which will reduce the price. The cost includes instruction, camping, toilets, but material fees for some classes are extra. You also have to bring your own food and water.

Wow that is really cheap, especially if they offer workshare! I'm so tired of seeing people trying to sell their skills for $800+ for a week long course where they don't even teach anything truly useful but can make some people with too much money feel like they had an outdoor "survival experience".

KEVIlgeNius

Reaction score
I just finished reading Survive! by les stroud (survivorman) it was pretty good but pretty novice and if you know a little about survival it may just be review, but it was good. Checked out amazon, it was $11, but if you are near a good library they may have it.

Reactions: skillpore

compass

Lost
Reaction score
All the info for Dirttime 09 is up now, with a list of classes and instructors. Looks like a great event, and cheaper than last year at $175, but this one also includes three meals a day. There's a $100 materials fee if you want to make your own bow.

dirttime.com

I'm definitely going to this one.

Looks like the Echoes in Time site is down right now, but I might sign up for that one too.

katiehabits

Reaction score
Website
kthabits.tumblr.com
check out the SAS survival hand guide by John Wiseman
it's got a lot of step by step instructions on how to do things. it's much more about trapping and shelter than anything. some friends of mine made the same trap that Rambo uses in the first movie when he kills a cop in the woods with a bunch of spear like things on a tree; well it's called the "pig-spear" trap. and it's real easy.

Reactions: Psi em

bobNkamille

Reaction score
my uncle taught me everything i know. He bought me a sierras handbook when i was a kid. he use to go out into the mountains for months at a time. but he wasn't a blood relative and i haven't seen him in years but i still remember some of the stuff he taught me. He taught me how to clean water and how to tell what way is north and how to start a fire with two sticks and a shoe lace and shit but books are the best free advice i think.

Reactions: Amanda Palmer

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Help us pay the bills!

Total amount
$10.00
Goal
$100.00

Latest Library Uploads