knitting/crocheting with paracord | Squat the Planet

knitting/crocheting with paracord

finn

Playground Monitor
Reaction score
I don't know how many of y'all knit or crochet, but I was thinking about making an inner vest (which would give me extra insulation under a regular vest) mostly out of a single roll of paracord without cutting it, that way I could unravel it if I needed any length of cord, and it'd still be useful if I didn't. I don't see any drawbacks to this, but has anyone ever tried this?

Reactions: Phoenix
D

dirty_feet

I crochet. My first thought on it is that it would be heavy to wear and that if you do it - or have a friend do it - make sure a decent size needle is used, and a stitch that is a good size for the vest, but won't add a lot of weight or use up a lot of para cord because of extra stitches or smaller stitches. You can crochet or knit pretty much anything together - good idea - go through with it!

finn

Playground Monitor
Reaction score
I crochet as well, and I can also knit, but it's much slower. I'll start as soon as I get my hands on the paracord and the right size hook. I'll tell you how it goes...

finn

Playground Monitor
Reaction score
Okay, I made a sling carrier for my steel water bottle with paracord- the thickness protects it from getting dinged up and even insulates it a little, but it uses about 400ft (!) of paracord. It didn't take very long to make it, and I can unravel it any time I need a length. Expensive project though, and a vest would be even pricier...

bobNkamille

Reaction score
i would think it would be a little easier then yarn cause it easier to handle with out a needle. I dont know how comfortable it would be though

finn

Playground Monitor
Reaction score
Actually, it's slightly more difficult/slower to work, just because crocheting gives a twist to whatever you're working with. You'll have to untwist the roll of paracord periodically, unlike yarn. It's pretty comfortable, truthfully, I could make backpack straps with it.

D

dirty_feet

Backpack straps - now that's a great idea for paracord. I just dumpstered some rubber I was thinking about weaving into a rug - I just moved into a yurt with untreated floors and hate carpet.

I think the vest would be too heavy to wear after a time.

finn

Playground Monitor
Reaction score
I think the vest would be too heavy to wear after a time.

It would be that and too hot, too, I'd have to use paracord crocheting only in the places where I'd want padding, like the shoulders and spine. As a little note, 3-strand paracord is softer than 7-strand paracord, and usually cheaper, too. I'd expect to use about 100ft of paracord total for crocheted backpack straps- 50 for each one. Right now my straps are doing fine, but it's a nice option to have.

BananaPhuck

Reaction score
I saw your sling today at the gathering, and it was pretty cool looking. Does it keep the cold drinks cold, and warm ones warm? Or does it just average out the temperature?

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Help us pay the bills!

Total amount
$10.00
Goal
$100.00

Latest Library Uploads