Killer find of the day;)

roguetrader

Reaction score
thought it was gonna be breakbeat in the modern dance music sense (Stanton Warrior's etc) at first but it's the old Frank Marino band, yes ? has it got a much sampled break or summfink Mr T Funk ? (do I recall you is in Manchester by the way ? I just looove record shopping on Oldham Street.......)

troublefunk

Reaction score
How you doing fellow Brit;) fellow Northerner even! So you know beatn rhythm too?.Great shop.
It's not really known for sample's(that i'm aware of) but hip hop dj's have been dropping/digging for rock breaks forever...they play more for bboy's to jam to.
THIS is my idea of a breakbeat mix ;) dj's that play for bboy battles

roguetrader

Reaction score
i was thinking more Vinyl Exchange / Piccadilly Records and Fat City / Eastern Bloc when they were still there : like most vinyl junkies i've lost days of my life and mucho dinero in these places - the problem is i like too many different types of music - i'll have to check out Beat N Rhythm as well, not consciously been in that one............. yes i'm also from the North West but for some reason generally live in Devon these days - the scenery is nice but the people are real backwards - most of 'em don't even know who Tony Wilson was and none of 'em have had lustful thoughts over Melanie Sykes ever ! the nightlife in Plymouth and Exeter ain't a patch on Manchester either but you live and learn........ i'll have a listen to the mixtape link in a sec and please post more if you got time - i'm a big DJ Cash Money fan, he tends to play funk / soul in with his hip hop, seeing him live was one of the best music experiences of my life, along with Kraftwerk at Manchester Apollo in '04 - you like those breaks or are they too electronic for thee ? i got a good Madlib 'RockConducta' mix that's all 70's rock breaks i believe...... jeez i could talk about music all day long ! c ya later - roguetrader

troublefunk

Reaction score
Melanie Sykes:) Shot to fame with the Boddies ad i believe?
Cash Money is a legend.I think he's slept on.Another Philly legend and all time fave dj Jazzy Jeff.I got live at union sq when he was 17/18 years old...amazing.
Other great breaks/funk dj's imo - uk's own breaks dj James Leacy(rip) Skeme Richards(another philly head i think) The P.Bros from Nottingham are brilliant too,dj goodka,dj wudoo are fave's too.
I'll PM you with a few link's later on,see what you think.

I'm and old hip hop head from 1984 and been collecting break's/funk/rock ever since.
Mate Man Machine is one of my all time top tune's;) I also have lotta joy division,bauhaus,black flag,fugazi etc too.
Do you remember Spinninn record's? A great hang out for graff writers back in the day.

roguetrader

Reaction score
now we're talkin ! (and i'm grinning like an idiot at the library terminal) - yep love early (pre Rollins) Black Flag, Fugazi and loads more American punk and hardcore - basically US hardcore and old skool / golden age hip hop are my two top genres when it comes to vinyl although i open to most styles of music, they all got their gold somewhere......... regarding Bauhaus i recently got a mint 12 of 'Bela Lugosi's Dead' which i been after for a while - and Jazzy Jeff i don't know if you seen it but there's a great recent Boiler Room mix by him on You Tube, well worth checking out - very similar to Cash Money but they came up together in Philly i believe so bound to be similar - another fave of mine was DJ Noize - had the pleasure of seeing him do the DMC winning routine live in Plymouth in the mid '90's, saw Schooly D live around the same time - his DJ was fantastic, can't remember his name though - by the way the first record i ever got was The Show when i was 11 or so (1984 ?) so that got me on track right away ! i heard of Spinn Inn but don't think i ever went in there - i suppose we better take this to PM from now on - i already been bollocked for going 'off topic' few times ! feel free to send me plenty links and recommendations and i'll try and do the same......

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads