Kicked out, wanting to travel.

A

AliceInNY

My step mother is a drunk and finally got fed up with me and kicked me out because I'm "doing nothing with my life" even though I was on my second interview for a job. I am currently staying with my boyfriend but that can only last for a few more days. A week longer tops. Traveling has always been an interest of mine and finding this site made me get back interested in it. I've been reading and stuff. I mean I guess I'm "homeless" but I hate that word. I'm sure I could go "home" if I kissed her ass but it's not a good place she's abusive blah blah blah. I'm thinking traveling is my best option. Anyone got some stories or tips? Thanks. No money saved I blew it but I'll have $160 on like the 3rd of December. Thanks. Sorry I don't have a pic and I'm typing poorly but I'm on a phone posting this.

Desperado Deluxe

Reaction score
welcome to the club... well seems like u got a few options does ur bf want to travel too? it might be good to have someone with u if ur just starting out. it might be hard to start this time of year with the weather n all. maybe try to get a job n wait it out. u could always try to ride share it outta there. really depends on what u want outta life

A

AliceInNY

Been applying everywhere, he doesn't want to travel like for a while he has school and a job I've got nothing so it works for me not him. I think waiting for better weather is a good idea if I can find somewhere to stay.

A

AliceInNY

I can get a job easy I've applied and I know I'll hear something any day now. I am going to try that I'm also trying to get help at social services but they didn't seem to want to help cause I'm a minor. :/ I just want to travel asap but leaving my boyfriend is gonna suck and he would hate traveling

N

Nanaki

Minor? How old are you if you don't mind me asking?
Just wondering because if you're under 18 travelin' hobo style might not be the greatest idea since cops love hasslin' them folk. I mean, I've met plenty of minors on the road but... Seems like a bummer if you get busted and sent back home to some juvenile detention and back at your ma's place or maybe worse. (also, if you're underage its probably going to be a huge undertaking just trying to find anybody willing to let you tag you along, thats a huge responsibility on their part, they're risking their sweet virgin asses just hanging around you). Just sayin'. I can't say too much because I use to hitchhike when I was 14 and luckily never bothered by the police, but things seem more overrun than ever nowadays. What with everyone and their grandmother being terrorists n' all. hah!

I'm apparently a huge fan of winter travel, so I would say don't let the weather completely scare you or anybody for that matter away from hitting the road... But then again leaving alone or not, it being your first time come spring/summer will probably be the smarter decision as you will defintely bump into way more kids out there who will teach a thing or two about travel and help you out than in the winter time. My whole trip from Arizona to Minnesota not a single dirty kid in sight. It got pretty lonely. And the road is generally way more lonelier in the winter anyhow. Most people aren't completely insane like I am. haha!

Anyway, you'll figure it out! You're young, a girl, and employable (if not already employed), People like that. As long as you're not a shit-head house guest you shouldn't have trouble finding a place to crash if you really try. :)

A

AliceInNY

I've got plenty of people I can crash with but my mind is really set on travelling. I've wanted to just up and leave since I was 14 I'm currently 17 but I'll be 18 in May. (6Ish months away) so I might just get a job and see where I end up. I just hope being with my boyfriend isn't going to interfere with traveling too much cause that's one of the few things I'm passionate about. I'm also in upstate New York so the winter is pretty rough. Can't wait for that warm weather!

N

Nanaki

In my opinion, it sounds like stickin' around and working till after your birthday would be the best bet. The weather will lighten up, you'll have a little dough in your pocket for whatever, have time to gear up and figure out where you would like to go, what you would like to see, all that bull. Also you'll be of age so you will have a better chance finding folk who'll be happy to take you under their wing without any conflict and legal danger they might have traveling with a minor looming over their heads. Just my two cents. When you take off be safe and have fun!

AliceInNY

Reaction score
I had to remake my account, it had to get deleted I guess due to a forum error. I'm currently staying with my mother who only a week ago told me she had no room for me and I wasn't welcome. The day after I got here my boyfriend left me so I'll be leaving to travel as soon as the warmer weather hits NY. I am so excited I can't wait. My cousin wants to have me head to New Mexico to visit with her sometime over the summer so that's gonna be nice. Everything's falling into place for me finally.

Reactions: Matt Derrick

Tude

Sometimes traveler is traveling.
Reaction score
Hope all is OK. If you have issues we are here.

Last edited:

birdsonthebat

Reaction score
The land of entrapment. I lived in Las Cruces for awhile. I've been allllllll over the great state of NM. White sands is one of my FAV places. That's a great place to be during the (I think) pleides meteor shower in Hmmmm is it August. Geez haven't been west in 9 years this month

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads