Keeping Warm, Warming/Insulation for squats in the winter

ReturnTrip

Reaction score
Me and my buddy are squatting this house in north jersey for a bit and its been snowing and we both have sleeping bags that are way too small for us (mine doesnt even zip) we both layer on clothes really hard and we've thought of putting a towel near our door so a draft doesnt come in (by the way theres a large hole in the roof from a fire years ago so it snows inside just not the room we sleep in haha)..in a nutshell its fucking cold. you can see your breath in our room with all the doors closed, Any suggestions for super awesome warmness aside from the dumb idea of lighting any fires?

ReturnTrip

Reaction score
Keeping Warm

sew up the zipper

yeah i was thinking about that..the sleeping bag only helps so much though

finn

Playground Monitor
Reaction score
Keeping Warm

Layering clothing is fine, but it shouldn't be tight, since the point is to trap air between the layers. If you're desperate, you can stuff newspapers or paper napkins (quieter) between the layers. For your room, carpeting (as long as it isn't moldy) and cardboard are your friends. Carpeting for the walls and floor, cardboard for your bed/tent. You can stuff newspaper under your door, so you can use the towel for other things.

Dmac

Reaction score
Keeping Warm

try to keep dry. if you work up a sweat durring the day and do'nt change into dry clothes and socks you will have trouble staying warm. the space blanket mentioned earlier really, REALLY, helps. also try pulling a trash bag over the foot of the sleepingbag, it does help to keep the feet warmer.

Shoestring

Professional Hobo
Banned
Reaction score
Rolling, empty boxcars to Sioux Falls, South Dakot
Website
www.youtube.com
Keeping Warm

You and your buddy need to double up!
After finding carpeting and cardboard and placing this on the floor, y'all need to sleep next to each other and this way you both will have two sleeping bags on top of you each.

Reactions: West

Ravie

Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
Keeping Warm

shoestring has the right idea. i always find me a cuddle buddie. adds like 10 degrees. but dime is right too. go somewhere warm...dur.

• Useful
Reactions: Psi em

ReturnTrip

Reaction score
Keeping Warm

will do..thanks everyone.

About the leaving jersey thing..i totally would and im going to this summer but im like tied down with my band around here and i'd feel bad about going. if i wasnt in the band i'd definitely leave because it fuggin SUCKS here

Dmac

Reaction score
Keeping Warm

if you think it sucks in jersey, stay away from nebraska!:chug:

bote

Reaction score
Keeping Warm

get a big cardboard box, like for a bike (bike store should be able to give you one) and stuff it with crumpled up paper around your sleeping bag. I guarantee you'll toasty, cardboard and paper insulate real well. Oh yeah, like others said, lots of layers underneath you.

Reactions: XanderMenanderer

steelcitybrew

Reaction score
Keeping Warm

get a big cardboard box, like for a bike (bike store should be able to give you one) and stuff it with crumpled up paper around your sleeping bag. I guarantee you'll toasty, cardboard and paper insulate real well. Oh yeah, like others said, lots of layers underneath you.

does that fair pretty good in the winter? I have to remember this trick for next freeze

ReturnTrip

Reaction score

Dmac

Reaction score
Keeping Warm

as said before, double up. most mititary bags, have room for two, it can save your life. if you use cardboard, old carpet a,d blankets, put half under and half over you, and zip the two bags together, it makes a big difference on a cold night.

finn

Playground Monitor
Reaction score
Keeping Warm

Also, there are some late night stores with a microwave oven. You can buy a little something to cook up but stick your nalgene bottles full of water inside (but unscrew the lid so it doesn't explode) along with it and let it cook until little bubbles start forming inside. And then screw the lid, shut wrap the bottles up in a hoody or something and throw it in your bag, then when you get to your sleeping spot you have a nifty source of warmth that will last a couple of hours.

PS. Do not overdo it! You do not want your bottle to warp, which it will if subjected to too much heat for too long!

ReturnTrip

Reaction score
Keeping Warm

Also, there are some late night stores with a microwave oven. You can buy a little something to cook up but stick your nalgene bottles full of water inside (but unscrew the lid so it doesn't explode) along with it and let it cook until little bubbles start forming inside. And then screw the lid, shut wrap the bottles up in a hoody or something and throw it in your bag, then when you get to your sleeping spot you have a nifty source of warmth that will last a couple of hours.

thats actually pretty rad

Beegod Santana

Reaction score
Keeping Warm

get a bunch of the hand warmer things from home depot or somewhere (they're only like $.69 and are really easy to steal). Get two winter caps, put one on, then throw a warmer or two in the other then slide it on. It'll keep you toasty as you drift off to sleep. I forget how much exactly but a huge amount of your body heat escapes through your head. Also, make a simple stove and drink lots of tea. Another trick is to go to a laundry mat and throw your sleeping bag in the dryer for however much a quarter gets you right before you go to crash. Try rigging up a hammock indoors to stay off the cold ground and throw a fleece blanet under you. Then there's always the option of lining the walls with old blankets and then getting yourself an propane heater. A bit of a fire hazard, but my friend had a set up like that going all last winter in vermont and did fine.

Hope this helps

Reactions: FreeCheetos

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads