Jungle camping in Central America (1 Viewer)

Current Location
Montreal
Hey guys! I'm starting to plan a trip to South/Central America this winter, and I'd like you guys' input and experiences.

I've been considering trying to spend as many nights as possible sleeping outside, on beaches and bushed areas, like I usually do when I travel, but I also know by experience (in Nepal) that the jungle can be quite terrifying and/or dangerous, come nightfall.

So I was wondering if any of you guys ever done it? Was it nice? Horrible? Did you almost die?

We sell all kinds of other stuff in our Etsy store!

Juan Derlust

Resident itinerant paradoxymoron
StP Supporter
Top Poster of the Month
Current Location
@large
yeah in Baja tripping balls in a downpour - unknowingly ending up next to a remote landing strip, and when a plane landed and several individuals got out and approached we fled

not quite Central America but you get my point

Last edited:

Older Than Dirt

Wanderer
Current Location
Upstate
From what i have seen in southern Mexico, expect mosquitoes the size of small helicopters. A mosquito net that hangs around your hammock with airspace between net and hammock is probably needed. You will need the hammock if you stay at very cheap posadas etc as they will usually have no beds but only hooks for the hammock they will expect you to be carrying.

Hammocks are available cheap in all Central and South American countries but they will be heavy as fuck and suck if they get wet, which they will since it rains every single day most of the year; they are usually cotton fabric or cotton netting depending on country. Buy a modern parachute cloth camping hammock with whoopee cords etc. before leaving the first world.

Get current on all possible vaccinations (explain where you are going to doc). Your Spanish (and Portuguese if you get to Brazil) should be very fluent for your safety.

If you tell most country people you plan to sleep in the jungle, they will tell you that you are crazy and offer you somewhere to sleep. Country people in Central/South America spend a lot of time and energy making sure they sleep indoors.

As discussed in a recent thread, you will need to take a boat (or fly) from Panama to Colombia as it is essentially not possible to cross the Darien Gap overland.

Also read up on the candiru, and take appropriate precautions when swimming (at minimum 1) wire mesh jockstrap and 2) sturdy knife to cut off your penis if the worst happens despite #1):

Sure they say it's all a myth and the odds of a candiru swimming up your urethra and into your guts and eating you from inside are "(a)bout the same as being struck by lightning while simultaneously being eaten by a shark." You will not find a lot of folks swimming in those areas though.

And never women swimming, as they don't have the few seconds of safety while it is swimming up your penis and you can still amputate.

OR A really short answer: NO IT'S NOT EVEN A TINY BIT SAFE. You will be robbed if jaguars don't eat you. Or both.

That you are asking this means you have not done your homework at all. The Mexico & Central America Handbook and South American Handbook are good places to start, as are the various Lonely Planet books. With the most minimal research, like googling "camping Central American jungle" (i just did), you would have already found out what a very bad idea this is.

It is possible to travel dirt-cheap in these countries, but not by camping. You've been to Nepal- imagine India, except they're Catholic and drink.

Last edited:

Tony Pro

Rambler
Current Location
Denver
Website
gavincwillow.wordpress.com
If you’re considering a hammock I can recommend the Hennessey brand, their ‘jungle expedition/explorer’ series is designed to prevent mosquitoes biting your ass through the fabric which is a problem with the cheaper hammocks when it’s too hot to sleep with a sleeping bag. I believe that guy who hiked the length of the Amazon river used a Hennessey. If you’re worried about animals you can string that fucker 20 feet off the ground nd sleep feeling like one of your own monkey ancestors.
Unfortunately they’re very expensive for what is essentially a substandard tent with unique advantages. And my one complaint is that they don’t handle rain+wind as a combo very well.
My other advice is don’t go during the rainy season. I just finished a week camping in a jungle; all that time all my gear only got progressively wetter. All notebooks turned into pulp, and a thriving ant colony in my bag.
Also make sure whatever water purification system you use can handle viruses (that hammock has rainwater collection attachments for the tarp, which is awesome)
Here’s my hammock setup a couple weeks ago.

Attachments

Older Than Dirt

Wanderer
Current Location
Upstate
A very interesting review of a book about the role of the mosquito, and of mosquitoes as a disease vector, in history:

Probably worth a look for anyone going to areas where they are a major part of your life every day. There are many additional noxious insects, and moths the size of bats (no wool clothing, it will be a mass of holes in a single night). Oh, and bats.

When i said above that if you are not eaten by jaguars you will be robbed (remember the poorest dirty kid is very rich to any Central/South American campesinx/caipirx), i hadn't even thought about the monkeys.

Monkeys will take your shit, especially your food. North America has no animals that can hang upside down while they untie the knot on your suspended food bag, and then open the jars inside.

On the other hand if you have been rough camping in the jungle in Nepal, there are monkeys in parts of that country, and fucking tigers too, so perhaps none of this will phase you.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Support StP!

Donations go towards paying our monthly server fees, adding new features to the website, and occasionally putting a burrito in Matt's mouth.

Total amount
$45.00
Goal
$100.00

Monthly Goals

1. Paying the Bills
    $45.00 of $50.00
    The first $50 in donations go towards paying our monthly server fees and adding new features to the website. Once this goal is reached, we'll see about feeding Matt that burrito.
  2. Buy Matt a Beer
    $45.00 of $75.00
    Now that we have the bills paid for this month, let's give Matt a hearty thank you by buying him a drink for all the hard work he's done for StP. Hopefully his will help keep him from going insane after a long day of squishing website bugs.
  3. Feed Matt a Burrito
    $45.00 of $100.00
    Now that the bills are paid and Matt has a beer in his hand, how about showing him your love by rewarding all his hard work with a big fat burrito to put in his mouth. This will keep him alive while programming new features for the website.
  4. Finance the Shopping Cart
    $45.00 of $200.00
    Now that the bills are paid and Matt is fed, perhaps it's time to start planning for those twilight years under the bridge... if only he had that golden shopping cart all the oogles are bragging about these days.

Latest Status Updates

Preacher wrote on Wolfs Paw's profile.
::drinkingbuddy::
Im securing a squat tonight that should be a good long term squat. Also im playing a show tonight.
Just go to Barcelona and got lost on my way to my hostel. I walked into a corner store and asked for directions, and a guy who didn’t speak any English or know anything about me pointed to where i need to go and gave me a sticker that said “Everyone hates the police!”. I’m definitely in the right place😄!
Macon for a super hot minute. Who what when where?
Finished an initial draft of a floorplan for my new van:
A lot has happened since returning to California. Just two days after returning from the road, I grew the courage to leave my abusive SO and stop hiding her abuse. I returned to my hometown in the Bay Area; I’m now going to stay housed up here until next summer as I recover from trauma and save up for my next adventure. I’ve just gotten a job offer, and will be renting a room of my own here!
I learned a lot about myself and the world on the road, but I know vagabonding is the life for me!
I never did complete an update here, did I?
Well, I rubbertramped all across the country, back from Boston with a fellow moderator from R&V. We drove from there to Las Vegas over the course of a month! I saw 4 national parks, 30 states, and crossed over 6000+ miles. I came back to Los Angeles on June 15th, having achieved my goal of hitchhiking the entire country, and was on the road for over two months.
3 weeks of CDL training starting Monday. Im so excited. Living in semi is an upgrade from living in the van, especially since your getting paid for it! Hells yea!!!
A list of all the magic stores in the U.S. would be a sick feature on stp. Imagine you get off the train desperately in need of smokes and a slam, but you got ran off every corner... Dont worry stp knows exactly where you can get pall malls and some steelies with those foodies you picked up in the last town.
Engineer J Lupo wrote on Matt Derrick's profile.
Happy Birthday, dad!