Banned Juan Derlust banned for spamming the board with utter nonsense (1 Viewer)

Matt Derrick

Semi-retired traveler
Staff member
Admin
Website
youtube.com
So I finally had to remove @Juan Derlust from the forums last week with a permanent ban. This was the culmination of a few weeks of utter nonsense posting, that I was being pretty kind about, but it got to the level where this user was posting SO often, along with a few others, that he was literally replying to his own posts over and over, in some kind of bizarre diarrhea of the mouth, making some threads pages long of nonsense posts, one or two word responses, and responses to his own responses that every other user in the community had to page through to get to anything useful.

this user made 400+ posts in the first two weeks of april alone, and as far as I can tell, none of it was useful or related to any of the subjects of this message board. on top of that, they were literally spending 8+ hours a day on the website, which is something not even I do. I mean, sure, StP is great, but if you're on here every day, all day, seven days a week, making nearly 30 posts a day, you seriously need to get a fucking life.

i went pretty far out of my way to NOT issue a warning, and instead sent a PM asking this person to stop doing that. they complied for the time being and it seemed worked out. unfortunately, for whatever reason, they just could not stop posting, and it finally ended with him posting a tirade of useless shit on his profile. now, i generally let people post whatever they want on their profiles, it's their profile. but, if it starts spamming up the entire list of 'recent status updates' and you tag me in it at 3 fucking am at night, I'm gonna get a little sour about it:

Screenshot_2020-05-02 Juan Derlust.jpg
I'm having to post this screen shot as a thumbnail because it goes on for so long. click on it to see the full version. you might even have to download the file to your device to zoom in to see the conversation.

even that came out pixely, so i zipped the original image which you'll have to download to view.

now, i was already having a hard time sleeping that night, and my phone blowing up every few minutes over this was not helping. again, responses to his responses to the point of psychosis (IMO) contributing nothing to anyone, just being an outlet for his madness, which is not what we're here for. so this guy is either a madman or a troll. either way, I will likely be running the spam cleaner on all of his posts, removing 1500+ from the system; i've been reviewing his content and 80% or more is completely useless to anyone here.

so ends the saga of juan derlust. the moral of the story here is don't waste the community's time, and especially don't waste my time or i'll come down on you with thor's ban hammer.

Attachments

Last edited:
Click here to buy one of our amazing custom bandanas!

EmmaAintDead

Pro-Crime /// Anti-Peace
I don't take issue with this ban whatsoever, and I think it's completely within the staff's moderation purview to clean up annoying bullshit. THAT SAID I do think it sets a not great precedent to start using terms like "psychosis" or hoping he "gets the help that he needs" -- it sits icky with me that things mentally ill people actually have to deal with are being used flippantly regarding a low-effort serial posting that was already summed up very accurately as "a tirade of useless shit."

Like, not to be tone policing or anything of that nature, but like... can we not project mental illness onto someone cause they rapid fire post drivel? can we just, like, call it what it is, and not do armchair psychiatry on the forum troll?

CouchPunx

Wanderer
I don't take issue with this ban whatsoever, and I think it's completely within the staff's moderation purview to clean up annoying bullshit. THAT SAID I do think it sets a not great precedent to start using terms like "psychosis" or hoping he "gets the help that he needs" -- it sits icky with me that things mentally ill people actually have to deal with are being used flippantly regarding a low-effort serial posting that was already summed up very accurately as "a tirade of useless shit."

Like, not to be tone policing or anything of that nature, but like... can we not project mental illness onto someone cause they rapid fire post drivel? can we just, like, call it what it is, and not do armchair psychiatry on the forum troll?
Yeah, reminds me of the cops that ask me if im on any medications.

Also totally fine w the ban

MFB

Wise Sage
That guy was the worst.

Why are the pretty ones always so dumb?

OP
Matt Derrick

Matt Derrick

Semi-retired traveler
Staff member
Admin
Website
youtube.com
no offense, i understand what you're saying here, but given the evidence, (content of posts, amount of posts, how much time spent on stp, and inability to stop when asked) this is more than enough to justify a judgement of 'crazy' in my mind and I don't feel like i have to be a doctor to describe it as such.

TheUndeadPhoenix

The Necromancer King
Website
instagram.com
THAT SAID I do think it sets a not great precedent to start using terms like "psychosis" or hoping he "gets the help that he needs"
I don't want to start a flame war, but I have to say my peace and leave it at that. I know this comes off as a little hostile when reading it but that's not my tone at all.

I have PTSD and I know how much people can suffer from mental illness. Suffering alone is worse than seeing a doctor, even if it is just for verbal therapy. I would never in my life wish somebody be institutionalized, the doctors in there are just as bad as they were in the 1800s, except now they don't lobotomize people. There's no shame in seeing a doctor for mental illness and I hope with help, we can see Juan return someday when he's better. I hate seeing people suffer like that.

CouchPunx

Wanderer
I dont wanna speak for @EmmaAintDead but for me I dont think the issue is that the kid isnt probably a wingnut but that there's a long history of deligitimizing people through psychological terminology, which hurts both those people and people with mental illness. Cops do it every day as an excuse to treat people as less than human.

You think you're being diplomatic by saying, "nothing against Juan, the kid just needs help," but a lot of people on this group "need help." You think we're riding trains and living in abandos because we're accepted in regular society? One of my biggest fears is people in the real world finding out I'm crazy and fucking with me for it. I dont have to worry about that here, or around my friends, because they dont give a shit and they've probably got it worse.

Not to mention it's just condescending.

It makes it seem like mental illness is the bannable issue and not that the actual problem, which is you cant act like this on a forum and expect not to get banned.

SlankyLanky

stp user voted "the friendliest mod"
Staff member
richmond virginia, the east coasts portland.
It would be pretty dope if we could try to keep this thread on topic. If anyone wants to start a thread discussing why people shouldn't call people crazy when they act like a turd, then cool, right on. Send me a pm letting me know to keep a eye out for it so I dont miss when its posted and I'll monitor it myself so it doesnt turn into a fucking disaster.

I think its pretty obvious mental illness isnt a bannable issue, in fact it would be a big surprise to me if the majority of stp wasnt in some way medicated for some form of something. But that's kinda not relevant here imo.

Just so it's all out there, I think Matt's write up is perfectly fine. Its alot nicer then mine woulda been which woulda just been me calling him a shitposting genital wart and posting a screenshot of it.

These den of the banned posts arnt fun for staff to write. It's not fun telling a grown ass adult to cut the shit out. Its certainly not fun to read peoples responses picking apart whatever words we chose to use or not use. Come the fuck on yall, like for real if we called him a clown I'm sure someone in clown school is gonna flip over it, and I'm already anticipating the pm from whoever's got warts on their meemer to pm me to tell me I am being offensive.

We got rid of someone who was being a nuisance to all of stp. That's pretty positive right? Yer welcome.

run998rs

Solid decision, and thank you. Guy came across as a total wackjob and what was with putting the 4-leaf clover rating on every single post? Had him on ignore for months now and he still managed to be totally annoying. Maybe now he can find another board to spam up while adding no value.

Brodiesel710

Burrito fund contributor
StP Supporter
Website
www.ebay.com
What are you guys even talking about? There were obvious implications that toward the end of his tenor he was dissatisfied with the content here, so naturally he started to heckle people and troll a bit. A large majority of his posts prior were quite good, amusing, poetic, and dare I say- genius and prophetic. He seemed to be a fantastic writer and just super punny all around. Another mythological figure chalked up to the den of the banned.

For his own sake-I'm glad he got banned though, his posting habits started to seem a little unhealthy and borderline FOMO.

SlankyLanky

Staff member
What are you guys even talking about? There were obvious implications that toward the end of his tenor he was dissatisfied with the content here, so naturally he started to heckle people and troll a bit. A large majority of his posts prior were quite good, amusing, poetic, and dare I say- genius and prophetic. He seemed to be a fantastic writer and just super punny all around. Another mythological figure chalked up to the den of the banned.

For his own sake-I'm glad he got banned though, his posting habits started to seem a little unhealthy and borderline FOMO.
Thank you for clarifying he was trolling because of being "dissatisfied" with the content on stp despite not ever providing any content that was related to stp. That's uh, weird I guess. But right on.

Are you and @MFB also suffering from the same dissatisfaction here on stp or now that yer 3rd party member isnt around do you think maybe yall could try to cut down on the nonsense too?

WanderLost

Wanderer
What people are saying about the calling people crazy thing is that when you ban someone for being disruptive then just call it what it is, and dont use demeaning terms to justify the ban.

It reminds me of the time that one member got blasted and called crazy and bullied for overreacting to someone mentioning their profile pic.

SlankyLanky

Staff member
What people are saying about the calling people crazy thing is that when you ban someone for being disruptive then just call it what it is, and dont use demeaning terms to justify the ban.

It reminds me of the time that one member got blasted and called crazy and bullied for overreacting to someone mentioning their profile pic.
I think calling somebody crazy when they are acting crazy is a pretty fair term. I'm sorry if you are offended by it. Like I said, if you would like to volunteer to create yer own thread addressing this problem I would be more then happy to personally moderate it and maybe we could all learn a thing or two yea?

That person who was "bullied" was given every opportunity to step back and not try to literally make a court case over things. I'm failing to see the relation that this has to do with this thread though. Are you actually upset that after the way juan has acted on stp for the past however long that we finally got tired of his bullshit and said enough with the bullshit shenanigans and called him crazy? Cause dude...that sounds fucking crazy to me.

WanderLost

Wanderer
I honestly didnt notice @Juan Derlust doing anything crazy on my end. I totally get your reason for the ban, cuz it was on your end.

All i can say is whenever someone comes at me with crazy shit i usually side with mercy. If someone's fucked up and doesn't know whats goin on you should chalk it up to that and dont be a dick.

Ive been to mental hospitals and they dont help for shit. They force you to take meds that you know wont help and tell you not to kill yourself. You have to act like youre better to leave, cuz it sucks so bad and they make their money and all is good to them.

MFB

Wise Sage
Are you and @MFB also suffering from the same dissatisfaction here on stp or now that yer 3rd party member isnt around do you think maybe yall could try to cut down on the nonsense too?
I've never been dissatisfied with this site! Mainly bc I think it's silly to have any expectations of it.
Anytime I have chatted w @Matt Derrick I have tried to express gratitude for creating it and giving me a place to shoot the shit when I am bored. I enjoy this site, get on and chat with a lot of people I consider friends and have learned some cool hacks and travel tips. I've hosted members on my couch and travelled with others. So no dissatisfaction from me; and thanks to all those who help keep it running smoothly!

I dont think my posts are nonsense. I put a lot of thought into them and tend to get some positive ratings. (not that I keep track, but just saying ;)) I've had a lot of members reach out to ask me questions about destinations or just life based on my posts. So 'nonsense' is subjective; as my posts may be nonsense to you, but to others they make sense. Different strokes!

And finally;
Juan aint crazy. He was a bored dood trying to make his friends laugh during COVIDiocy.
And he did a pretty good job of it.
Simple as that. I dont see that as a bad thing, but this aint my site.
But it is baffling how people wanna make the jump to lunacy when it's apparent a dood is just being goofy.
Either way, your site, your rules. If you guys came to my house I would expect you to respect my wishes, so I will do the same on your site. :)

SlankyLanky

Staff member
And finally;
Juan aint crazy. He was a bored dood trying to make his friends laugh during COVIDiocy.
And he did a pretty good job of it.
Simple as that. I dont see that as a bad thing, but this aint my site.
But it is baffling how people wanna make the jump to lunacy when it's apparent a dood is just being goofy.
Either way, your site, your rules. If you guys came to my house I would expect you to respect my wishes, so I will do the same on your site. :)
Do you think that its maybe possible that you dont see disturbing everyone else on the site with yalls shitposting as a bad thing because you were in on the joke? The joke that you all were asked multiple times to take to private messages?

People arnt jumping to lunacy, but apparently calling someone crazy comes off to some folks the same say saying "gee golly this person is a certified madman who needs a lobotomy! Lock him up and throw away the key it's for his own good!" That's just silly and we all know that's not what was being said.

As you yer positive ratings(since you brought it up and all) you dont suppose the high number of them could be from a few members constantly positively reacting to every single nonsense and off topic post would you? Cause uh, I can see that that's the case. So that's kind if a leaky raft to sit in ya know.

You have been asked just as often as juan, and in the exact same conversation as him to cut it out publicly and keep the "I'm so random! Potato!" stuff to private messages. Is there really any reason you could even feign any surprise when youv continued to antagonize and use the site like yer entertainment is the most important thing about stp?

Ffs man, you even 4 leaf clover reacted to @run998rs comment about being annoyed by Juan's constant use of that reaction. Yer gonna tell me that's not you just trying to still be a shit?

SlankyLanky

Staff member
@MFB a funny reaction isnt really convincing that yer not just here for the lulz and to waste peoples time.

Youv kinda backed yerself into a corner here by not knowing when to just shut up and let it go. My patience is all but gone when it comes to the nonsense. I think we have all been just about nice as we could possibly be. So what's the next move dude?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Support StP!

Donations go towards paying our monthly server fees, adding new features to the website, and occasionally putting a burrito in Matt's mouth.

Total amount
$20.00
Goal
$100.00

Monthly Goals

1. Paying the Bills
    $20.00 of $50.00
    The first $50 in donations go towards paying our monthly server fees and adding new features to the website. Once this goal is reached, we'll see about feeding Matt that burrito.
  2. Buy Matt a Beer
    $20.00 of $75.00
    Now that we have the bills paid for this month, let's give Matt a hearty thank you by buying him a drink for all the hard work he's done for StP. Hopefully his will help keep him from going insane after a long day of squishing website bugs.
  3. Feed Matt a Burrito
    $20.00 of $100.00
    Now that the bills are paid and Matt has a beer in his hand, how about showing him your love by rewarding all his hard work with a big fat burrito to put in his mouth. This will keep him alive while programming new features for the website.
  4. Finance the Shopping Cart
    $20.00 of $200.00
    Now that the bills are paid and Matt is fed, perhaps it's time to start planning for those twilight years under the bridge... if only he had that golden shopping cart all the oogles are bragging about these days.