Jamboree Meal Planning! (1 Viewer)

EphemeralStick

The Sass Master Deluxe
Hey everybody! So the purpose of this thread is to get an idea of what kinds of food everyone would like to eat during the Jamboree. Considering the fact that we're going to be on an island I think it would be a good idea to brainstorm what we're going to want to eat beforehand so that we won't be going hungry out there. For breakfast I can make the typical breakfast combo of eggs, hash brown, bacon/sausage, and toast.

For dinner we have a bit more options; I can make rice/bean and chicken/beef tacos, hot dogs (both meat and veggie), or even my 7 Pepper Colon Crusher Chili (winner of the 3rd annual Slab City Chili cook off).

In the past we left lunch up to the individual to take care of, however is someone wants to volunteer to handle lunch then that is something that can be discussed.

Also, here would be a good place to mention any food allergies anybody has, that way we can be prepared to accommodate your specific needs.

Due to Covid-19 I will say that if you want to help with the cooking then you're going to have to wear a mask or bandanna along with gloves (which I can provide).

We sell all kinds of other stuff in our Etsy store!

iamwhatiam

Burrito fund contributor
StP Supporter
Hey everybody! So the purpose of this thread is to get an idea of what kinds of food everyone would like to eat during the Jamboree. Considering the fact that we're going to be on an island I think it would be a good idea to brainstorm what we're going to want to eat beforehand so that we won't be going hungry out there. For breakfast I can make the typical breakfast combo of eggs, hash brown, bacon/sausage, and toast.

For dinner we have a bit more options; I can make rice/bean and chicken/beef tacos, hot dogs (both meat and veggie), or even my 7 Pepper Colon Crusher Chili (winner of the 3rd annual Slab City Chili cook off).

In the past we left lunch up to the individual to take care of, however is someone wants to volunteer to handle lunch then that is something that can be discussed.

Also, here would be a good place to mention any food allergies anybody has, that way we can be prepared to accommodate your specific needs.

Due to Covid-19 I will say that if you want to help with the cooking then you're going to have to wear a mask or bandanna along with gloves (which I can provide).
Since you aren't drinking, I think it's great you're volunteering to be the hungover-free DBC (designated breakfast cook) in the morning! I can plan to save up and bring dozens of eggs from my free range chickens, so you don't have to buy those. I could also bring some organic veggies/greens from the garden depending on whats ready. Maybe do pancakes one morning with some wild berries thrown in to switch it up?

OP
EphemeralStick

EphemeralStick

The Sass Master Deluxe
@iamwhatiam soo bit of a confession here...

I am terrible at making pancakes.... things always go awry. BUT, I have months to practice so I'll give it my best shot and try to not fuck it up haha.

Edit: Also, yes, any eggs/veggies that you could bring from your farm would be egg-xtremely appreciated. :D

Koala

sleeps 22 hours a day, eats chutes and leaves
Website
ciggybuttbrain.wordpress.com
I can do lunches!

I'm a big sandwich/wrap fan - fresh veg, humus, garlic spreads, veggie meats and deli meats, tuna, carrots and cucumbers etc and chips and dips for sides. I can set up lunch station each day! What do ya think?

TheUndeadPhoenix

The Necromancer King
StP Supporter
I'm bringing some spices and a cast iron cooker (pot and frying pan combo), we should pick up things like rice, beans and other dried goods and meat locally. I went to culinary school and I'm down to help cook. I might smuggle my chef knives cross country

Kenada

Rambler

I can make French toast if y’all want that and don’t mind me helping!

iamwhatiam

Burrito fund contributor
StP Supporter
I'm a pretty good cook as well (I'd like to think), so I can help with any meals or prep work too.

If I can learn how to bake bread over a fire, maybe I can bring some starter and make a couple loaves fresh sourdough bread out there

TheUndeadPhoenix

The Necromancer King
StP Supporter
I just had an idea. If we can get enough people to pitch on it, we might be able to do like a clam bake or something similar where we bury stuff under the sand. I'm thinking maybe we could pitch on a pig or cow
I'm gonna look into clam digging laws and I'll report back

Edit: Can't find anything right now cuz it's all hidden behind covid 19 shit

Last edited:

Dameon

Global Moderator
Staff member
I'm not able to really plan ahead right now, since at this point I'm not sure exactly what I'll have to spare at the time, but ideally I'll be bringing some food, and at the least I'll be busting out my old knife roll and helping with some prep or on the line.

iamwhatiam

Burrito fund contributor
StP Supporter
I just had an idea. If we can get enough people to pitch on it, we might be able to do like a clam bake or something similar where we bury stuff under the sand. I'm thinking maybe we could pitch on a pig or cow
Edit: Can't find anything right now cuz it's all hidden behind covid 19 shit
The imu pit style pig/cow sounds fun, but the more I'm reading about it....it seems like a lot of work. Have you ever done it before? I'm reading you have line the pit with a bunch of large heated stones to keep it hot enough. Rocks that have been exposed to saltwater aren't good because they crack and explode. Gotta build the fire using lots of hardwood, and there isn't much readily available on the island from what i remember....(lots of softwood driftwood on the beach, but no hardwood trees) so we'd have to bring a lot of wood for it. Traditionally, they use banana stumps and ti leaves in the pit for moisture. An equivalent for here would be cabbage and corn husks. Then you have to wrap the pig in wet soaked burlap sacks and then it's a good idea to wrap the bundle in chicken wire.

Seems like if we did get a pig/beef cut, it'd be easier to just roast the fucker on a spit over the fire and take turns spinning it.

iamwhatiam

Burrito fund contributor
StP Supporter
I just had an idea. If we can get enough people to pitch on it, we might be able to do like a clam bake or something similar where we bury stuff under the sand.
I'm planning to bring a couple crab pots....there's usually lots of dungeness and red rock crab to be had, easy to catch. I've dropped a pot right off the boat at this spot and Me, Matt, and Ephemeral got a few for dinner when we were there.
A couple miles north by Cone Islands/Eagle Harbor, there's supposed to be some good ling cod fishing holes. I've never fished for ling cod, but it might be worth the try if the season's open. Also maybe flounder?
I looked at this site Washington Shellfish Safety Map - https://fortress.wa.gov/doh/biotoxin/biotoxin.html for clams/oysters and it shows that all of Cypress Island is closed to clamming because of biotoxins currently. Not sure when/if that will change come summer.

iamwhatiam

Burrito fund contributor
StP Supporter
What about doing shishkabobs one night? I can bring some super tasty korean style gojuchang marinated beef/chicken and another bag of vegetables and maybe let people make their own bobs. And a side of fried rice or something?

Or maybe a cheesy halibut bake one night? Maybe that's too ambitious....

I dunno....let's hear some meal ideas from folks who will be attending? What do you guys wanna stuff your faces with for a few days on the island?

Last edited:
Website
www.youtube.com
I can do lunches!

I'm a big sandwich/wrap fan - fresh veg, humus, garlic spreads, veggie meats and deli meats, tuna, carrots and cucumbers etc and chips and dips for sides. I can set up lunch station each day! What do ya think?
Great idea!
If I can make it there, I would bring organic precook bacon and some spices and hot sauce. If I can get there. Ify right now!

Bushpig

Wanderer
I can't cook for shit, but if I'm able to make it there, I'm willing to cook some ramlettes (ramen omlettes) for people if wanted. I'm just concerned with trying to make sure I can be there.

Website
flowercrownmeaqueen.bandcamp.com
I'm a pretty early riser when it comes to campin' and definitely wouldn't mind helping out with prep and the like! Since I'll be driving up in my van I can also take out the stove I installed and we could have an extra burner on hand if we need, as well as my cookware

croc

Wise Sage
Veggie options is my only request n I imagine other folks who prefer to eat veg will be coming too.

Also! I'm down to get to the general area a couple or few days in advance to go dumpster food so we/yall can spend as little money as possible. @Honey Crust maybe you'd wanna help me complete this mission in ur van?
Does anyone know of good dumpsters in that area?

TheUndeadPhoenix

The Necromancer King
StP Supporter
Veggie options is my only request n I imagine other folks who prefer to eat veg will be coming too.

Also! I'm down to get to the general area a couple or few days in advance to go dumpster food so we/yall can spend as little money as possible. @Honey Crust maybe you'd wanna help me complete this mission in ur van?
I'm going to be coming with someone that may be purchasing a van, we can hit up a bunch of places together.
Edit: Together but separate. Also, I'm going to bring walkie talkies but their range is only about a quarter mile, might be good for the runners to have one and for the driver to have another

Website
flowercrownmeaqueen.bandcamp.com
@Honey Crust maybe you'd wanna help me complete this mission in ur van?
oh fuck yeah fuck yeah! I'm on that pescatarian life so I'm keeping things mostly veg as well. A friend of my partner's used to live up there and work at the co-op in town so I could try to ask him and see if he knows whats up

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Support StP!

Donations go towards paying our monthly server fees, adding new features to the website, and occasionally putting a burrito in Matt's mouth.

Total amount
$0.00
Goal
$100.00

Monthly Goals

1. Paying the Bills
    $0.00 of $50.00
    The first $50 in donations go towards paying our monthly server fees and adding new features to the website. Once this goal is reached, we'll see about feeding Matt that burrito.
  2. Buy Matt a Beer
    $0.00 of $75.00
    Now that we have the bills paid for this month, let's give Matt a hearty thank you by buying him a drink for all the hard work he's done for StP. Hopefully his will help keep him from going insane after a long day of squishing website bugs.
  3. Feed Matt a Burrito
    $0.00 of $100.00
    Now that the bills are paid and Matt has a beer in his hand, how about showing him your love by rewarding all his hard work with a big fat burrito to put in his mouth. This will keep him alive while programming new features for the website.
  4. Finance the Shopping Cart
    $0.00 of $200.00
    Now that the bills are paid and Matt is fed, perhaps it's time to start planning for those twilight years under the bridge... if only he had that golden shopping cart all the oogles are bragging about these days.

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Support StP!

Donations go towards paying our monthly server fees, adding new features to the website, and occasionally putting a burrito in Matt's mouth.

Total amount
$0.00
Goal
$100.00

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Threads in last 24 hours
Messages in last 24 hours
Members in last 30 days
Latest member
brick