Jamboree 2021 Discussion (1 Viewer)

Matt Derrick

Semi-retired traveler
Staff member
Admin
Website
youtube.com
Hey folks, so due to the unfortunate cancellation of this year's jamboree, I'm starting this thread to give folks a place to discuss and plan the details of the next Jamboree, hopefully sometime in 2021. If you have any ideas for where/when and what you'd like to see happen at this next event, please reply here.

We sell all kinds of other stuff in our Etsy store!

Tengu91

Wanderer
I commented on the cancellation thread, but I'd like to suggest Coconino county in Arizona! Lots of beautiful, open land, and it's located right outside the Grand Canyon, plus Flagstaff and Williams are close and both are dope places (especially Flagstaff). It's not very industrial, but I always saw people boondocking and camping out there. Plus Flagstaff is great and the Canyon is beautiful.

Last edited:

TheUndeadPhoenix

The Necromancer King
Website
instagram.com
So it doesn't get buried in the cancelation announcement thread, I'll post here what I said as well

Don't know how people would feel about walking but maybe next year we could get a giant group together and thru hike the AT, from Georgia to Maine. Been something I've wanted to do for awhile.

Eng JR Lupo RV323

Jerk bouncer with an attitude
Staff member
Website
youtu.be
So it doesn't get buried in the cancelation announcement thread, I'll post here what I said as well

Don't know how people would feel about walking but maybe next year we could get a giant group together and thru hike the AT, from Georgia to Maine. Been something I've wanted to do for awhile.

I actually really like this idea. I don't know if it really fits the gathering/party aspect of a Jambo but I can't see why we couldn't try to do more than one thing together annually. Maybe stagger it off half a year from Jambo, perhaps spring? At least something to get a conversation going on and see how much interest there is. I really like the imagery it conjures. About 20 punks on the trail, I don't imagine that happens every day.

Coywolf

Make America Freight Again
Staff member
Website
www.youtube.com
I'm going to second the revisitation of the San Juan Islands Jambo. I was really looking forward to this event, mainly because of the location...and my interest in sailing.

But hey, it's a whole new world! Let's get some ideas flowing!

Matt Derrick

Semi-retired traveler
Staff member
Admin
Website
youtube.com
I'd like to suggest Coconino county in Arizona! Lots of beautiful, open land, and it's located right outside the Grand Canyon, plus Flagstaff and Williams are close and both are dope places (especially Flagstaff). It's not very industrial, but I always saw people boondocking and camping out there. Plus Flagstaff is great and the Canyon is beautiful.

Sounds nice, and worth doing some research on!

The sailing to an island aspect was something that really got me excited for this year honestly. I’m down to try for the same/a similar plan for next year

it seems like a LOT of people were excited about the sailing/island aspect, so i agree we should prioritize some kind of event like this when virus stuff calms down.

I actually really like this idea. I don't know if it really fits the gathering/party aspect of a Jambo but I can't see why we couldn't try to do more than one thing together annually. Maybe stagger it off half a year from Jambo, perhaps spring? At least something to get a conversation going on and see how much interest there is. I really like the imagery it conjures. About 20 punks on the trail, I don't imagine that happens every day.

yeah, i like this idea too, just like you said, the image it brings to mind is intriguing to me. even if it was just a section of the AT (maybe a week?) i imagine that would be super fun. you could end it at the 'trail days' event in damascus, va; i think it's considered the half way point and there's a huge weekend long party there. i've always been told there's a town-wide water balloon fight, but on the website it says to please not bring water baloons (but water pistols are still okay) so maybe they stopped that part. either way, there's supposed to be tons of vendors there too (kelty, osprey, etc), so if your pack or gear is fucked up they'll fix it or even replace it entirely!

I can't see why we couldn't try to do more than one thing together annually. Maybe stagger it off half a year from Jambo, perhaps spring? At least something to get a conversation going on and see how much interest there is

on a side note, i've always thought it would be cool to have some kind of "world travlers society/guild/club" thing that organizes trips like the AT one mentioned above. i had a better name for it that i can't quite remember right now, like the 'dirty scouts explorers club' or something like that. it could have several events a year in different places in the world.

South of La Crosse Wisconsin. Islands on the Mississippi River are federal land which you can camp on for 14 days. You need a boat to get there from Goose Island a county campground. I camp there before. But a boat is needed to get there.

thanks for the suggestion, I'm definitely going to do some research on that spot!

Tengu91

Wanderer
For sailing/island gathering, has anyone looked into the Great Lakes? Idk if that'd be easier or harder to pull off. I'm originally from Ohio and I know Lake Erie has a bunch of small islands. I think it's possible to rent some out for a few days...I'm sure the other lakes would have something similar! I'll have to look into it on my own.

Chaseur

Just a vagabond, singing the song of freedom
I've always wanted to do the AT. I don't think it's reasonable for me to be able to take the ~7 months required to do it though.

Maybe 2023? Lol

Goose island sounds cool.

Eng JR Lupo RV323

Jerk bouncer with an attitude
Staff member
Website
youtu.be
I've always wanted to do the AT. I don't think it's reasonable for me to be able to take the ~7 months required to do it though.

Maybe 2023? Lol

Goose island sounds cool.

Yeah I think if that comes together it would probably be a separate event and only a leg of it that's less demanding of time. Like Matt was saying, perhaps the last leg of it ending in Damascus.

I feel like there's probably two separate types of attendees. Those who would rather attend a stationary event, gathering/party atmosphere and those who would sign up for a week of exercise, probably a lot less booze etc.

Come to think of it, this is probably definitely something we should try to work out. I imagine there's a population of STPers who abstain from Jambo because they're trying to stay clean and clear of tempting party vibes. I feel like those people deserve an event too. If not AT, something less boozy/more so healthy.

iamwhatiam

Burrito fund contributor
StP Supporter
Or maybe floating a river somewhere on some homemade rafts? For instance, There is a river just north of me a little ways (Skagit River) that has just over 80 miles of navigable water by canoe/kayak, from my area all the way down to the ocean. (It's the 2nd largest river in Washington after the Columbia river) There's a 59 mile stretch designated as "wild and scenic" and you can pretty much camp right on the beach for the night along there as it's mostly DNR or USFS land I believe. How cool would that be?

Last edited:

lazerskull

Rambler
Or maybe floating a river somewhere on some homemade rafts? For instance, There is a river just north of me a little ways (Skagit River) that has just over 80 miles of navigable water by canoe/kayak, from my area all the way down to the ocean. (It's the 2nd largest river in Washington after the Columbia river) There's a 59 mile stretch designated as "wild and scenic" and you can pretty much camp on the beach for the night along there. How cool would that be?
Anything like that NOT in California sounds good to me! CA. I feel like there's just too many 1) laws and cops 2) yuppie tourists that ruin everything

Website
www.youtube.com
I went to La Crosse, Wisconsin along the Mississippi River late July and did some research while I was camping out.
There are islands that are federal land and anyone can camp on them for 14 days. I thought it would be great for Jambo, the sad part for having large gatherings, the US Fish & Wildlife requires a refuge permit for such activity, which sucks! Unless people want to pool together for a permit. Of course, a boat would be used to get to one of the islands

somacatastrophe

Burrito fund contributor
StP Supporter
I love the island aspect of things. I don't know any sailors, or have boat money, so I was kinda hoping for a place that could be reached by inflatable kayak.

jimi

Wanderer
Definitely was digging the island idea, too bad it was a bust. Maybe next year? I really like the PNW in summer, or at least somewhere with water and trees. Seems like it's been getting hotter and hotter every year. Fuck any kind of desert this time of year, no thanks.

Matt Derrick

Semi-retired traveler
Staff member
Admin
Website
youtube.com
Definitely was digging the island idea, too bad it was a bust. Maybe next year?

Making this happen in 2021 is one of my personal goals for that year. High likelihood this will happen.

Or maybe floating a river somewhere on some homemade rafts? For instance, There is a river just north of me a little ways (Skagit River) that has just over 80 miles of navigable water by canoe/kayak, from my area all the way down to the ocean.

that sounds fucking awesome. we should work on making this happen.

I feel like there's probably two separate types of attendees. Those who would rather attend a stationary event, gathering/party atmosphere and those who would sign up for a week of exercise, probably a lot less booze etc.

Come to think of it, this is probably definitely something we should try to work out. I imagine there's a population of STPers who abstain from Jambo because they're trying to stay clean and clear of tempting party vibes. I feel like those people deserve an event too. If not AT, something less boozy/more so healthy.

i think that's a great idea, i like the idea of having several self-organized 'excursions' a year, put on by whoever wants to host them. they can be boozy, straight-edge, or whatever folks want to make happen. We could start a thread for each one and sticky it to the top of the events forum, and i'd be happy to help promote any event folks want to do.

i also like the idea of doing a sectional hike of the AT. i'll have to do a little research to see what that would entail, best section for that scenario, etc, but I think that would work, even for people that haven't physically trained that much (like myself). And yeah, if we ended in Damascus or something like that, it could be a pretty epic party at the end, and folks that just wanna try out hiking or something like that could jump in and see if it's something they are interested in.

anyways, i really like all these ideas and i think we're potentially onto something here.

Users who are viewing this thread

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Support StP!

Donations go towards paying our monthly server fees, adding new features to the website, and occasionally putting a burrito in Matt's mouth.

Total amount
$90.00
Goal
$100.00

Monthly Goals

1. Paying the Bills
    $50.00 of $50.00 - reached!
    The first $50 in donations go towards paying our monthly server fees and adding new features to the website. Once this goal is reached, we'll see about feeding Matt that burrito.
  2. Buy Matt a Beer
    $75.00 of $75.00 - reached!
    Now that we have the bills paid for this month, let's give Matt a hearty thank you by buying him a drink for all the hard work he's done for StP. Hopefully his will help keep him from going insane after a long day of squishing website bugs.
  3. Feed Matt a Burrito
    $90.00 of $100.00
    Now that the bills are paid and Matt has a beer in his hand, how about showing him your love by rewarding all his hard work with a big fat burrito to put in his mouth. This will keep him alive while programming new features for the website.
  4. Finance the Shopping Cart
    $90.00 of $200.00
    Now that the bills are paid and Matt is fed, perhaps it's time to start planning for those twilight years under the bridge... if only he had that golden shopping cart all the oogles are bragging about these days.