jack kerouac movie

daveycrockett

Reaction score
its really amazing how many younger people do not even know who this is. I think this is a good thing because it will bring hitching and travelling into the public eye and hopefully make it more acceptable.

Sc0ut

Reaction score
look, i dont care if anybody blasts me for this and i dont wanna argue about my opinion, but am i the only person that thinks kerouac was a pretentious asshole?

Reactions: Kale

daveycrockett

Reaction score
as long as it makes travelling in the public eye more accepted like his books im happy,,,,what does "pretentious" mean by you saying that about him? in think i can understand "asshole."

D

Deleted member 2626

i hear that a lot about jack kerouac by people on here and about mccandless. I don't know why. McCandless people say he was a poor tramp and that he was dumb kerouac was a writer. He tramped but mostly it was novel form and he wrote poetry and he changed all the names. I'm not sure i get why he was "pretentious" either

D

Deleted member 2626

ahhhh okkay i see. but like i said he was a writer and thats what goes on in writing using lots of metaphors or similes or adjectives and writing on a subject is supposed to based towards someone man. its got to impress a culture or talent to be accepted or published

Sc0ut

Reaction score
if you want to read some good shit by real people try allen ginsberg and richard brautigan. kerouac was pretty much the 50s/60s version of a couch surfer. ginsberg was actually a hobo for a time, he's got lots of poems about riding trains, brautigan was a schizophrenic who lived on the streets all over the pacific coast. he used to get arrested on purpose so he could have food and shelter

daveycrockett

Reaction score
ive got a different meaning of the word"impersonsating, putting on false appearance,feigning, arrogant, haughty." ididnt know this man but he was famous and brought travelling into a different light. if you want to say he was a crazy asshole well so am I. cant wait to see what happens in this day with his works being put out there by francis ford coppola of all people.hitchiking is undoubtedly looked down upon in the past few generations and i would like to see a change towards people not being so scared and fuckin uptight about these subjects. wouldnt you all like to see a more accepting public to the lifestyle that you are living. ?

Sc0ut

Reaction score
honestly, i'd rather be invisible. if the numbers of people hitting the road keeps going up so will legislation against it, because the folks in charge will never be down regardless of what director adapts a famous authors book into a movie. sad truth.

Thoreau

Reaction score
Website
zinelibrary.info
its really amazing how many younger people do not even know who this is. I think this is a good thing because it will bring hitching and travelling into the public eye and hopefully make it more acceptable.

I didnt know until i was in 10th grade, changed schools in mid term so as i didnt knew anyone i went to the library to pass the time before the first class and found it by random, loved it and started reading very oftenly until today
Also has anyone visited the big sur region?

daveycrockett

Reaction score
i edited that " closed minded " more so just added on to it . a good freind of mine says " dave, noone hitchikes anymore just you" which isnt really true but the past few generations there have been less people travelling even with the growing population.think the next time someone picks you up and says 'hey man i just saw that new movie about jack kerouac pretty cool never really picked up hitchers till now' thats basically what happened when his works were first put out and that was 50s 60s think of what kind of an impact this or these movies will have on the impressionable public today. look out scout looks like you might have to share that boxcar sooner than you think.

ped

Glorified monkey
Banned
Reaction score
The word pretentious is often used as code for anti-intellectualism nowadays. Or at least pedantry. But even if used correctly it can still be an ad hominem. It's a term like arrogant or hypocrite. We can call anyone, including ourselves, those things to the point their meaning all but loses any value.

I don't know much about him personally so I don't really have a frame of reference. But many writers are labeled such things perhaps often deservingly. Perhaps not. But the body of work should stand on its own independant on the authors demeanor.

Reactions: PriusFuck

daveycrockett

Reaction score
i love it when "close minded" is used instead of "different opinion". politicians do it all the time.
you are stating your opinion when you say you want to be invisible, i am speaking about the fact that you think you are stating, or anyone like yourself will have no control.baaaaaaa
The word pretentious is often used as code for anti-intellectualism nowadays. Or at least pedantry. But even if used correctly it can still be an ad hominem. It's a term like arrogant or hypocrite. We can call anyone, including ourselves, those things to the point their meaning all but loses any value.

I don't know much about him personally so I don't really have a frame of reference. But many writers are labeled such things perhaps often deservingly. Perhaps not. But the body of work should stand on its own independant on the authors demeanor.[/quot,yeah, "crazy asshole" i know what he meant.
yeah, crazy asshole iknow what he meant" kind of

keg

Reaction score
I read him and burroughs and all the others when i was in 4th grade.i guess i though it was exciting.but when i was locked up i read them again and the kerouac might have been exciting for his time but i think most peoples normal days are more exciting than his adventures.The only thing he did was have a black chick which might have been bad news back then.When people ask me for good books to read i never mention kerouac.Like someone else said Ginsberg was the real deal(with money)that guy traveled.

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads