It's bright tonight | Squat the Planet

It's bright tonight

BelleBottoms

Reaction score
Is anyone sleeping under this bright half moon tonight?
Years ago, I pulled into The Black Canyon of the Gunnison in Colorado. It's a National Park complete with ranger stations, campgrounds, and an exhibit center. I think it was early October, and because snow always closed the roads, the park was preparing to shut down for the Winter. There was one camping loop still open, so I took a spot - the only other person I saw all night was a guy emptying trash cans.
After settling in I cooked up some instant garlic mashed potatoes - my stomach hurt and I was hopeful that some food would help. It didn't. I crawled into my back-of-the-truck bedroom and got as close as possible to a fetal position as you can inside a sleeping bag. Between worsening stomach pain and the low temps (over 7000 ft elev there), it was a very uncomfortable evening.
Eventually whatever was making me moan in pain for hours worked it's way to the end of the line. I was going to need a toilet. I feared squatting would result in a mess I wouldn't be able to clean up. As I was pulling on shoes the need to go suddenly became urgent - there was no time for a coat or flashlight. I barely noticed anything as I ran in untied shoes to the outhouse.
Walking back was a different story. There was a full moon and the whole world was lit up silver against deep blue and teal shadows. A deer watched me pass while munching leaves off a shrub. I made the short trip back and forth about once an hour, lingering on each return to marvel the moonlit forest despite the cold.
It's a scenario that repeats itself often: I begrudgingly leave a cozy shelter and moments later am so dazzled by nature that I forget my hurry to return. A sky brimming with stars, an unexpected snowfall, an aurora... they stop me in my tracks, force me to reevaluate priorities.

creature

plastic wingnut in a microwave
Banned
Reaction score
Ah, my Belle..

i don't know which moons are different from others, but..

yours are yours..

& may they be forever...

D

Deleted member 2626

Nice. More than once I've been comfortable in my bag, in the cold and had to shimmy out, or in rain or snow to go hang on a tree for a bowel movement. I spend every night under the sky, and nylon, so see every moon phase, if it isn't foul weather of course.

Hobo Mud

Reaction score
Very well written and I enjoyed reading it. I complete get and understand the experience. I often spend my nights gazing at the stars and at the moon when it is out, unless I am camped out next to a building or structure. It is the little things like this that are missing while traveling. Keep on keeping on.

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Help us pay the bills!

Total amount
$10.00
Goal
$100.00

Latest Library Uploads