Video is this video exploitative and/or cringy as fuck? looking for opinions. (1 Viewer)

Heaven

Lurker
Current Location
Earth
Oh shit! @Heaven what have you been up to since the Jambo. #BestBreakfastOutOfTheBackOfACarEver
Thanks! But that was all Val's cooking! Been living that normie life! Making offensive van vids. Thought about you when I saw some sweet looking bivy. Lol

She said "Anybody who has a job isn't a real vanlifer"
This was meant to push the limits of the satire. In this instance was giving my friend a hard time about getting a job which was me being bitter about her not being able to go on a 9-day trip to AZ in a month. If you watch my other vids about living in the car in SF I mention it is not as easy without a job, as that is where I was taking my showers and hanging out most of the time. The shame of living in a vehicle is real at first, but wore off after a while.

The funny thing I noticed is when you compare the happiness levels of folks that do not have traditional sources of income to the happiness levels of the folks working the 9 to 5 that there is a clear difference. If a persons brain can deal with the uncertainty that comes with being on the road then they should do what pushes their comfort zone. As soon as I am in a place where I do not have to work a normie job I will be back on the road earning the minimal needed to get by.

We sell all kinds of other stuff in our Etsy store!

croc

Wanderer
Current Location
Roads n rails
Website
www.instagram.com
Yo, heaven is a nice lady. If u have beef with her videos or whatever, u can explain that without being straight up mean. Not that @SlankyLanky has an idea of the definition of tact or how to exercise it before flinging shit like a baboon on self built pedestal.
@Matt Derrick I believe she's truly a good person and if I had to guess why she doesn't state on her YouTube that the money is donated, I'd guess it's to not make a show of "look how good and generous I am". Could be wrong, but every experience I had with her at jambo was nothing but beautiful and kind. Every story I've heard of her from others has been nothing but the same.

Oddy

Current Location
Somewhere
I kinda don't get the point of it? You say you're not keeping the money you make? So is it just to get hits on YouTube, or just to take the piss out of, well everyone? Not having a pop, just curious as to the point...

george990

Rambler
Current Location
Arizona
Bikinis!

Thats the point.

They just wanted to show the world how good they look in bikinis!

The rest was just an excuse... lol

SlankyLanky

stp user voted "the friendliest mod"
Staff member
Current Location
richmond virginia, the east coasts portland.
@croc as usual I'm terribly sorry my half sarcastic remarks came off as me being straight up mean, but I still think the video is lame.

Feel free to knock me off whatever pedestal you think I have though, because I sure as hell don't think I have one.

OP
Matt Derrick

Matt Derrick

Nomadologist
Staff member
Admin
Current Location
Walla Walla, WA
Website
youtube.com
This was meant to push the limits of the satire.
it's not satire if you don't say that somewhere or state it or at least make it obvious. i'm sorry but this whole 'i was faking it' thing just looks like you are backpedaling.

@Matt Derrick I believe she's truly a good person and if I had to guess why she doesn't state on her YouTube that the money is donated, I'd guess it's to not make a show of "look how good and generous I am".
i'm not questioning whether they're a good person or not, i enjoyed having them at the jamboree. but you can't just make videos like these and not expect someone to criticize you; and then say 'whoops i was just joking' when it was pretty damn obvious they weren't.

i think they made a mistake out of ignorance and without thinking about what they were doing. and now that someone has called them out on it, now they're embarrassed about it and trying to save face. personally i don't buy the spanging as being 'staged' (which is as stupid as it sounds) and i don't believe any of that money went to some old lady.

if i'm wrong, then the video did a piss poor job of conveying the message it intended, which is almost as bad as it being intentional in the first place.

look i don't enjoy this kind of conflict; in fact i generally do whatever i can to avoid it. i don't like making enemies. but sometimes you gotta stand up and say something, and sometimes that means calling out people in our own community for shit that is just downright dumb.

Rhubarb Dwyer

Fragrant Vagrant
Current Location
Cincinaughty, OH
As far as any backpedaling assumptions...i was told this series was gonna stir shit up before they went live. The best satire doesn't state that it is satire. You know that.
Honestly, i don't even like them[the videos] all that much but, clearly, shit has been stirred.
Sounds like there are further installments in store, based on reactions here.
Can't wait for the stepping on turd barefoot bit. Might even volunteer for that one. Love me some shit-foot-fetish material.

Last edited:

Dmac

Wanderer
Current Location
outside omaha
but sometimes you gotta stand up and say something, and sometimes that means calling out people in our own community for shit that is just downright dumb.
so you did post their video to shame and ridicule them. Why did you deny it earlier?

Heaven

Lurker
Current Location
Earth
I kinda don't get the point of it? You say you're not keeping the money you make? So is it just to get hits on YouTube, or just to take the piss out of, well everyone? Not having a pop, just curious as to the point...
Hits on YouTube mostly. Wanted to experience standing there with a sign. Needed to show escalating levels of effort to get the van running.

i'm not questioning whether they're a good person or not, i enjoyed having them at the jamboree. but you can't just make videos like these and not expect someone to criticize you; and then say 'whoops i was just joking' when it was pretty damn obvious they weren't.

i think they made a mistake out of ignorance and without thinking about what they were doing. and now that someone has called them out on it, now they're embarrassed about it and trying to save face. personally i don't buy the spanging as being 'staged' (which is as stupid as it sounds) and i don't believe any of that money went to some old lady.

if i'm wrong, then the video did a piss poor job of conveying the message it intended, which is almost as bad as it being intentional in the first place.

look i don't enjoy this kind of conflict; in fact i generally do whatever i can to avoid it. i don't like making enemies. but sometimes you gotta stand up and say something, and sometimes that means calling out people in our own community for shit that is just downright dumb.
Since you are not believing my words it is kind of hard to resolve this discord. Since you literally wrote the book on this stuff I am looking for honest feedback and next steps forward. I am not coming here trying to argue, just looking for some like minded folks to better understand how I am being offensive.

MetalBryan

Pilgrim
Current Location
Washington, DC
First, I really like this thread. I lived in my van for three years out of intentional necessity. I took it seriously and it was hard. Sometimes it was the fucking worst. My ONLY regret was not having more fun.

I think there are some poignant criticisms here but I really like the idea that someone is actually having fun with van life or at least doing something theatric with concept. Maybe there's a growth opportunity here. I worked hard to operate in a constant state of stealth during my time, so it does hurt a bit when someone pokes fun at something that is difficult enough when you do it on purpose.

That being said, I didn't watch the video. Every time somebody sends me a video about van life with a well-meaning comment like "hey thought of you" I ignore them. I did this thing already and I don't need any input from someone who obviously just thinks living in a van is simply amusing.

quad8

Nowhere bound...
Current Location
Brunswick, Georgia
The only reason I have nothing good or bad to explain about your videos so far is because I see a potential that you might have an effort to try to get your van fixed up and road-ready. It takes money to do that and I respect that. Only use YouTube to make money as long as you know how it works with Google Adsense. Let me know if you ever make it back on the road because I know myself it's not cheap to fix any vehicle. Good luck and be safe out there.

After watching Dave2D's roasts about how these women are exploiting their bodies to get views I decided to use the lemon van I bought as a prop to make vanlife videos while it is sitting in my brothers driveway.

Last edited:

Oddy

Current Location
Somewhere
Hits on YouTube mostly. Wanted to experience standing there with a sign. Needed to show escalating levels of effort to get the van running.
Ok fair play to you, but if you wanted to experience standing with a sign then probably don't do it as a staged thing, whilst wearing a bikini, because that's not really going to give you the same experience as people who are actually doing it

Beegod Santana

Wanderer
Current Location
everywhere
Is it exploitative? Meh, kinda not really. Is it cringy? Oh yes.

Like, I don't really get who your target audience is with this. At first I thought it was a mockumentary, kinda like trailer park boys but with valley punk girls but then it just turns into, well like I said, I'm not really sure just what the fuck that was. Like, it's obviously useless to anyone actually trying to live in a van, kinda offensive to traveler kids and nonsensical to anyone not familiar with the culture.

Odin

ANTISOLIPSIST
Lifetime Supporter
Current Location
Earth
Website
www.youtube.com
Laughter and Chicken and a Can of Beer in a Brown Bag?! ::drinkingbuddy::

Made me grin.
::eyepatch::

Whatever the case... it's a freedom thing... I won't criticize that society actually got nice people that will give ya a dollar and a rotisserie chicken!
::cat::

The bikini part was not even necessary or whatever... seeing people genuinely happy and having a good time is whats great.
:)

Reminds me not to be a grump.
::oldman::

Now back to the only stuff I really watch on Youtube...
::alien::::alien::::alien::

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Support StP!

Donations go towards paying our monthly server fees, adding new features to the website, and occasionally putting a burrito in Matt's mouth.

Total amount
$55.00
Goal
$100.00

Monthly Goals

1. Paying the Bills
    $50.00 of $50.00 - reached!
    The first $50 in donations go towards paying our monthly server fees and adding new features to the website. Once this goal is reached, we'll see about feeding Matt that burrito.
  2. Buy Matt a Beer
    $55.00 of $75.00
    Now that we have the bills paid for this month, let's give Matt a hearty thank you by buying him a drink for all the hard work he's done for StP. Hopefully his will help keep him from going insane after a long day of squishing website bugs.
  3. Feed Matt a Burrito
    $55.00 of $100.00
    Now that the bills are paid and Matt has a beer in his hand, how about showing him your love by rewarding all his hard work with a big fat burrito to put in his mouth. This will keep him alive while programming new features for the website.
  4. Finance the Shopping Cart
    $55.00 of $200.00
    Now that the bills are paid and Matt is fed, perhaps it's time to start planning for those twilight years under the bridge... if only he had that golden shopping cart all the oogles are bragging about these days.

Latest Status Updates

Watch out Australia! Tay is flying in on the 24th!
It only took three cities over three different time zones, but I finally got to meet up with @IVth. And, lemme tell ya, it was worth every mile. What a mensch!
dumpsternavel wrote on Erinn Oface's profile.
I wanna see more of your arrrrttttttt
I made it to dayton with time to spare, i went belen/kc(for supplies)/chicago(i got robbed)/indy/dayton. Besides getting robbed in chicago the trip has been great, quick trains good kickdowns and a nice 2 ride hitchhike to dayton.
io2286 wrote on coolusername123's profile.
Hobosexual- someone who has a relationship to get a place to stay
Happy friday the 13th!
Hmu or send something my way
Cheers!
It takes forever to do profiles via smartphone.. I'll fill this out on a laptop later.. me and my wife, Straps, recently moved from NC to central Ohio and are looking for like minded folks. Oldschool punk and metal etc is our tastes but not limited to. She does Vocals as well as I.. I also play bass. And am currently working on a demo. Think serial killer true crime punk.. not 'horror punk'.. true horror, yes.
*will update tonight
wheels are made for rollin/mules are made to pack/I never seen a sight that didnt look better lookin back
walking in the forrest playing funeral doom ambient metal on teh headphones, ahh bliss!