Is 25 liter enough for a backpack? | Squat the Planet

Is 25 liter enough for a backpack?

SnakeOilWilly

Reaction score
Hey all, I recently bought a 25 liter Fox Outdoors "Rio Grande" hiking/tactical backpack from an army surplus store. I got it for a steal which is the only reason I bought it. Anyway, right now I only use it for hiking, but as eviction from my parent's house is inevitable, and I'm still new to this whole traveling thing, I was wondering if 25 liters was enough or if I should just buy an alice pack. Thanks.

Reactions: Mankini

biometreker

Reaction score
Depends. how ultra light vs comfortable are you looking to do things?
In the past i have rocked a 50 liter all the way to a 70 liter. and i do some long distance backpacking trips and hitchhiking. what kind of adventures are you looking at doing or will it be a full time home? also what is your price range for one.?

sucuri

Reaction score
Website
www.HitchTheWorld.com
It's pretty small but sometimes that's good, keeps you from filling it with a lot of useless crap. That being said you might not have room for useful crap.

Reactions: SnakeOilWilly

SnakeOilWilly

Reaction score
Right now it's just a day hiking backpack, but the same company makes a 45 liter version and a 75 liter version so I'll probably get one of those. They're pretty cheap so it won't be too bad. I do want to have a sleeping bag and small 1 person tent. New bag it is. Thanks guys.

L

liberationmoves

55 sounds good to me. It really depends on if you need to take winter gear or not and if it has hooks to lash things onto. You can always sew those on though.

Don't support the army, the navy or any other murderous oppressive organization.

Last edited:

SnakeOilWilly

Reaction score
It's a locally owned surplus store. The pack I bought was not army issue. I would never support a pointless war like we have now.

L

liberationmoves

support war? your beer and cigerettes support wars more than any surplus, get real
Explain to me how beer purchases and cigarette purchases contribute to war. I am not up on this but I think you are just spouting off anyway. Buying "surplus" military gear definitely helps contribute to war, it is a basic economic linkage, a fact really. The more money there is in murder and war, the more people, corporations and governments will engage in it. It may not be a fact you or others are conscious of but it is nonetheless a basic reality.

MirrorLamp

Reaction score
Explain to me how beer purchases and cigarette purchases contribute to war. I am not up on this but I think you are just spouting off anyway. Buying "surplus" military gear definitely helps contribute to war, it is a basic economic linkage, a fact really. The more money there is in murder and war, the more people, corporations and governments will engage in it. It may not be a fact you or others are conscious of but it is nonetheless a basic reality.

I don't think refusing to buy military surplus gear will make it any less profitable or necessary for the ruling class to go to war.

But this is kind of off topic...

hellbilly freedom maine

Reaction score
taxes fund wars, any money made off army surplus is nothing next to the tax money made off grape soda alone, alright? fucking get real hippy

Ferryn

Reaction score
Just remember that a multi-day pack can be a daypack, but a daypack can never be a multi-day pack. Obviously we aren't in the lifestyle of excess, but I have never seen my 65L pack as overdoing it.

If you can, find a used Osprey pack for your price range. They have a lifetime warranty and have great customer service. Since it will pretty much last you forever, try to spend the money and get something comfortable. If you're going to be on the road for awhile, a regular ole' bookpack is going to take a toll on your posture.

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Help us pay the bills!

Total amount
$10.00
Goal
$100.00

Latest Library Uploads